Ml vs grams vs drops?

Hi !!

I’ve been DIY’ing for a wile now but only used drops for my 30ml bottles and ml for my 150ml’s. I now want to do them in bigger batch’s and use grams to be more accurate. I bought a 2000g scale good to 0.1g, so for big batch’s I should be good. Problem is, I made a 500ml and the recipe did not taste the same at all. On the E-Liquid DIY application, it says 1ml is = to 1 gram, all good, the weight is perfect on my scale. All my recipes are in drops but I never changed the “35 drops per ml” I guess this is why none of my big batchs taste the same. Is there a way to fix this ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can go to your preferences, and turn on “Use manufacturer specific gravities” - it should save you some time. If you go to the flavor details page, and see a manufacturer specified gravity there, it will use that… Otherwise, you’d need to find the specific gravity yourself, and input them in your stash. If you don’t weigh it yourself, but find a manufacturer specified one, you’re more than welcome to send it to me, and I will update the database.

1 Like

Haaaaaaa , great, thanks for the info !!

1 Like

You should be using a .01 scale not a .1 to be more accurate on your weights.

5 Likes

I know…The description of scale said 0.01 but it’s 0.1 :frowning: Ill have to get another one.

2 Likes

Did you order from Amazon? I’ve noticed this - usually there is an option at the top, either a 500g or a 2000g scale; one is 0.01g and one is 0.1g :confused:

1 Like

what he said… lol

I would imagine, unless you’re really uptight about being super duper precise, mixing 500ml batches on a 0.1g scale, 1/100th of a gram isn’t going to cause that much of a difference.

2 Likes

Exacly, Amazon order. But I did tripple check it first. Weird thing is that now it says 0.1 on Amazon…

1 Like

They usually have good return policies…send it back and get the one you wanted?

1 Like

Or keep the 2 kg scale for kitchen stuff :smile:

2 Likes

I did not take a screenshot of the 0.01 weoght…only 18$ but still, Ill have to order another one.

1 Like

Look at what I mean, it says 36.31 grams but that does not fit at all in the bottle lol. and if I measure in ml the content of the bottle it gives me 35ml. There is something strange here…

Is your VG thinned with distilled water? VG weighs in at 1.261 g/ml, but if it’s aqueous VG it will be much lighter, and your mix is going to be off…

1 Like

Nope , not thinned at all. Well, I personaly do not thin it, could I buy it already thinned ?? I only have Coop Coco 99.5% at home, dont know if they do…

1 Like

Sounds weird :confused:

1 Like

If you’re going to be mixing by weight, the grams should always have a higher total than the ml of the bottle. This is primarily caused by the weight of the VG. You shouldn’t be worried about that. I will say though, the final amount should always fit in the bottle amount specified.

I’m going to go on a limb here and say that the reason your final amount is not fitting into the bottle specified is because you do not have a scale that has an accuracy to the hundredth of a gram (0.01g). On a scale that has accuracy to the tenth of a gram (0.1g), it will use rounding to round up or down to the nearest tenth of a gram. Therefore it creates a problem with how accurate you can get with each flavoring. Maybe a little more of a flavor or a little less than should actually be in it.

Although, I can’t say I see it contributing enough to not be able to fit in the bottle.

1 Like

I’m not saying they do, but asking if they do hehehe. They are a good company, I don’t think it would be good for business.

1 Like

Possibly but you wouldn’t think so since one tenth of a gram is very little. Possibly missed it but was it mentioned that the scale was calibrated? If not maybe we should suggest that…

Yeah, after thinking about it for a few hours. The amount of accuracy being off with a hundredth of a gram shouldn’t be close to the amount needed not to fit in the bottle. At this point, like you said @ringling the only other possibility at this point is to make sure the scale is calibrated. Ever since I’ve mixed by weight, I can’t recall a time my final amount never fit into the bottle I was mixing for.

@Madvape Did your scale come with the calibration weights?

1 Like