Mod jumping ohms

So my partners smok ipriv is jumping ohms. I had to give her my wotofo profile and im back using my pos vv pulse 2 squonk not as a squonk see pic. Any idea what the issue could be before i tear it apart if its even worth it. The coil is .18ohm but it jumps and says atomizer short. I thought it was the new profile m but its not as no issues on my profile or my topside. Never ran into this before so im thinking the mod has seen its days numbered

7 Likes

Could try firmware upgrade

3 Likes

Dont know if it has any ill have a look

4 Likes

My alien did that then fused proper ,and my cheapo smok kiss is still going strong

2 Likes

I couldnt find any update for it.

2 Likes

Dang does it do on other tanks then

4 Likes

https://www.pure-eliquids.com/blog/how-to-update-smok-xpriv-firmware/

3 Likes

Try that maybe of help

3 Likes

Make sure the 510 isn’t sticking out too far.
Went through this not long ago. It would work on one mod and not others. Had to reseat the bfpin.

4 Likes

Two thoughts… First, the 510 threads on the mod may be gunked. Get a piece of cotton, moisten it with alcohol, press it down in there and give a few twists. The alcohol will evaporate on it’s own. Wipe the atty’s threads while you’re at it.
Second, might be loose connection on her atty. Make sure the leads on the coil are good and tight. You can also get a multimeter and test for continuity.

7 Likes

I have had atomizer shorts before and usually i had juice in the 510 connecter on the mod a quick wipe and fixed. Worth a try.

7 Likes

@Psycho_316 I couldn’t tell if you had tried this or not, but did you try the tank on another mod, and it doesn’t show shorted ?

I always lean towards, making sure it’s actually NOT shorted, tear it down, check the coil, maybe even replace, make sure to read the ohms WITHOUT the top on, just coils in the deck, screw it in and read it, then put the top on, make sure it doesn’t change, etc.

I’ve actually had issues where I actually DID have a short. Coils moved, tank got dropped, etc.

7 Likes

I would have covered all of the normal, “check the coil legs make sure they’re not loose”, 510 connect gunking, dirty threads, but since you said it was SHORTED, that’s entirely different than ranging ohms, opens, or increased resistance.

6 Likes

Yes i checked that. Made sure first

5 Likes

I took the whole profile m apart. Clamps off to check if there was a stray wire from the mesh that might have gotten stuck. Took 510 pin out and and cleaned it it all up. Put a new mesh strip in and after the 3rd power cycle said atty short. Took it off and it went to .41 ohms when its .18. Cleaned the 510 connector on mod with rubbing alcohol on a qtip. Same thing. Put it on topside dual no issue. Pulse 2 no issue. Wotofo profile no issue. So it has to be the mod right? It worked fine for over a week with the profile m. Then i re did coil and it started it up later in the day

6 Likes

It was all clean inside but i cleaned it all to narrow the issues

5 Likes

Unfortunately its the ipriv and i cant find anything on it

3 Likes

As for other tanks on it i just redid them and didnt want to put another on it at this point as it f’s the mesh up.

4 Likes

I’m leaning towards a bad mod. It sounds like you’ve eliminated all other possibilities. You could try a teardown on the mod (I would, but it would only be out of curiosity) but if it’s a board problem (likely) there isn’t much you could do about it. The symptoms you’re describing are very similar to the Wismec RX200 and older Ileaf mods. Those things were just garbage IMO.

8 Likes

I had the same thing with a Cold Steel mod. Contantly throwing “short” messages and wandering ohm readings. Happened on various RTAs which were fine on other mods. Ended up just binning it as it wasn’t worth the hassle to me.

7 Likes