Mod + Tank/RDA/RBA/RTA for Noobs?

Getting involved here and looking at all you guys’ pretty pictures of fancy stuff has forced me to the realization that I am seriously behind the times. I’m still using Ego style batteries and BCC/Evod tanks. :grimacing: I’m…satisfied…I guess. But, I’m looking into branching out and moving up in the world. I’m pretty comfortable rebuilding the coils I have and I have a multimeter that I know how to use so I won’t blow anything up…hopefully. :wink:

Any suggestions on where to start? There’s A LOT of information out there and most of it is good, but it is pretty overwhelming when you barely know what an RBA is, much less the difference between an RBA, RDA, and RTA. Anyone have a “Mods and More for Dummies” guide or know where to find one? Any suggestions on what setup would be a good way to get started, preferably without having to sell my soul or my kid to pay for it?

1 Like

I would recommend an istick 50w …my wife has three 20w’s and 4 erlkinigins and I wish I waited cause on the 20’s I can’t build less than 1 ohm!!! The erl holds 8 ml and is real easy to build on!!!if u shop around u can find them around 40-45$

1 Like

I agree with @quitter1 - an iStick 50W and a starter RDA - Maybe a Magma to start with?

2 Likes

To start out, simple is a good thing. I started out using a very simple IGO-W dripping atomizer or RDA (single air hole; hard to find these today). I still use it to this very day, even though I’ve spent way too much money on attys so far! 28 gauge kanthal wire is a good place to start for coiling. Get yourself an inexpensive ohm reader for testing your coils…$14 or so from many different vendors. A multi meter is great, but hard to work with when dealing with the leads and an atty at the same time. Now for the mod. There are only about a thousand to choose from (i.e. eBay). I chose one in which I could use any battery type 18350, 18500 or 18650, depending on how low profile I needed to be that day. Wicking? I would suggest Japanese cotton. Watch a crap load of coil building videos and have fun with it.

2 Likes

Don’t deny yourself the simplicity of a mechanical mod when starting out.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is some great stuff to get started with. When you say an ohm reader are you talking about one of those box things I’ve seen that you can screw your atty or coil onto?

I think I get the basic concept of coil building, but I’ll probably need to watch videos on whatever atty I get. I’ve been using “organic” cotton balls for wicking. Why Japanese cotton? Is it really that much better? I wonder if I could just go down to a cotton field and grab some, boil it, and call it a day. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Cotton balls are ok - Japanese cotton wicks better - All the fibers are in the same direction. I’ve used organic cotton before - I definitely prefer working with japanese cotton pads :smile:

1 Like

Exactly! Muuuuuch easier and faster to work with.

1 Like

I did that too. Japanese cotton is much more forgiving when you vape the cotton dry. With regular cotton, you almost feel like you have to change it out when you accidentally dry burn it; tastes burned if you don’t.

1 Like

…pulls through the coil like a shoe string 99% of the time.

1 Like

I agree with a number of the other suggestions for you. I think the Eleaf Istick 50 watt is better for a beginner. It would be safer and that’s reason enough right there. You can build as low as .2 ohm coil if necessary and still have 50 watts to play with. Japanese Organic Cotton, a must. I think the Magma was a good suggestion for a beginner. Perhaps a single coil would be best for a beginner. Easy to keep those ohms in the safe range with a single coil. Another option might be the Kanger Subtank mini. This would give you a unit which is like your normal tanks that blows big clouds, has decent taste, can be used with changeable coils and has a rebuildable deck included in the package. Basically gives you all options. Ok, have we guys confused you enough yet? LOL I know I’m confused. LOL

EDIT: Sorry I thought I was replying to JOJO. JOJO this one’s for you! Not to worry JimK, I like you too…

3 Likes

Sokay, I did the same to @daath by mistake. It happens!

2 Likes

More questions!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I thought I understood the coil thing, but I’m not getting why you can do subohm on higher watts but not lower? I currently use 1.8 single coils at ~3.8v on a freshly charged VV ego battery, so about 8w. Wouldn’t a subohm coil require less power? Is there something different about the coils in the RDAs or is it just about battery life since doing higher watts with a subohm coil uses less voltage? I’m not doubting or anything, just trying to understand how I would ever use 20w much less 50.

Can I use the istick50 with something like the aspire et-s (1.8 BVC single, I think) or a regular ol bcc? I like the idea of the Kanger Subtank. Like Jim said, it seems like the best of both worlds for a beginner. Is a clone RDA an ok option, at least until I know what I’m doing/I like it/I can afford an authentic? Fasttech has the istick50 for about $50. That good? Thoughts on FT?

I know I could look all this stuff up, so thanks for putting up with me and being so patient! :blush: Bless ECF, but sifting through hundreds of posts to find answers is tough. It’s small here; I don’t feel as stupid. LoL

Shopping list: lots of new flavors, japanese cotton pads, ohm reader, istick50, RDA, Kanger subtank…thank goodness it’s March and my vaping budget has started over. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s worth it knowing I’ll be set up when the :hankey: hits the fan. At least for a little while.

1 Like

Hi…I would go with the Istick 50 watt for sure. I see everybody on the forums are happy with them. I don’t own a Subtank but from what I’ve seen it looks like a good thing to get. I would get the mini version though since the original is way big. I can recommend the Plume Veil for a first rda. It was my first and it’s real easy to build on + the flavor is amazing. I have a tobeco clone but I would suggest getting an Ehpro clone. Hope this helps:)

Well, I can’t speak on which VW mod to get; I’m ole school and have enjoyed my simple mechanical mod for 2 years now. Eventually, I’ll crawl out of my cave and go VW. I can say, as far as RDA’s are concerned, getting one that can go single or double air flow hole would be a good thing, i.e. single coil or double coil when you are setting up your atty. My wife enjoys her Origen Dripper because of this; she’s a single coil (mouth to lung) vaper. It also has 3 differnt air flow hole choices; this helps when you are used to an Evod type draw. There are lots choices on eBay for these style attys.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201297481468
Cotton:

Other supplies:

Fast tech is good for clones, but it will take a while to get it. In this “need it now” hobby of ours, time is our enemy! Just some things to chew on. Again, watch a crap ton of videos on YouTube; that educated me quite a bit!

1 Like

Hi Jojo, Actually it was me telling you of the Kanger SubTank Mini. And Yes, you can use the ETS on the 50 watt Eleaf, however only with a adapter. It would like a bit funny I would think though. A good sized Box mod with a skinny ets on it. Google a Aspire Atlantis or Nautilus. Look at the bottom connection. That is the connection (510) needed to go directly into the eleaf (without adapter). Much different from your ETS. I have the 50 watter in my shop in 2 different kits. One definitely does not come with adapter, I can not remember for sure but I don’t believe the other kit has it either. Looks like this…

If you decide to go with the kanger, the connection on it is good to go with the eleaf 50 watt.

Duh! So sorry! Yeah, I’m sure it would look pretty funny. I don’t know that I’d use it in public. But, if I can’t get both at once, would it be better to get the tank or the batt first? So many choices. LoL

If it were me I would get the Eleaf first. Mainly because you can’t use the Subtank without a Subohm Mod such as the Eleaf 50watt. Something about something in a box WAITING bugs me. At least you could use the Mod. It would also get the bigger cost item out of the way…

1 Like

You get a 1.2 ohm OCC-head with your Subtank, that one you can use on all mods! :smile:

3 Likes

It is taking a lot of willpower not to order everything right now and have it overnighted. LoL I’m excited. Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I can return the favor to the next person who comes along with the same questions I had. :smile:

2 Likes