My best buddy

Two days ago my best friend (man’s best friend) crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He was the best dog I ever partnered with and was just three months short of his 16th birthday. I’m heartbroken but know he is in a better place now, his sight and hearing had failed and he was suffering with dementia. My wife wouldn’t consider euthanasia until he stopped eating, which was accompanied with loss of his ability to walk, his back legs also failed.

Kind of lost here without my dog, we’ll probably consider another pup after hurricane season (which I dread).

21 Likes

Feel your pain unfortunately I know it well BUT beware my wife took me to get another dog awhile after our loss

Now have two keep happy

16 Likes

Feel for you mate as my dog is my life and best friend.

10 Likes

After the loss of my Jazzy I couldn’t even think of another dog, I was in so much grief. Someone had to give me a tranquilizer, I was losing it. So, yes, I feel your pain and so sorry about your loss. A grief counselor for pets said that it’s not unusual to grieve our pets worse than out relatives sometimes. We spend more time with them and it’s 100% unconditional love all the time, every time. Where ya going to get that? It’s no wonder we break down. I hope you can remember all the lovely memories you had with him. He was special.

Here’s my Jazzy. Always loved those Terrier eyebrows, lol.

17 Likes

I’m so so very sorry for your great loss. I can’t imagine the pain you must feel. Dogs are our best friends. You’ll not find one human that forgets, forgives, loves you solely, completely faithful, and you are their whole entire world. It’s so sad, that their lives are so much shorter than ours. It tears apart my heart. I have my best friend, Buddah. He’s a Bernese Mountain Dog, and he is my world. I can’t imagine life without him. He is 7…if you google them, it states an average life span of 6-8 years. So, reading your post, I’m sitting here crying (literally) knowing that someday down the road, I’m heart will be broken like yours is right now. He’s healthy and still acts like he’s 2, but he’s slowed down this past year. He doesn’t book it up the stairs anymore, or jump in the car as much as he used to, it’s heartbreaking to be a pet owner, but it’s so rewarding. The feeling of having a best friend like that is amazing. SO, I’m sure you have lots of photos and great memories, just treasure them. No matter how hard it may be, look at them and think of them often. Know you were his entire reason for living, his whole world, he loved you with his whole heart and soul. I’m so sorry. Here’s a picture of my best friend.

14 Likes

My adult son was living with us when we got our pup 16 years ago. He now has a family of his own with 2 kids and a couple dogs. He is also grieving the loss of Reb. He posted this on my FB page yesterday, it is so true!
“Dogs…do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.”
– Eugene O’Neill

12 Likes

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. :pray:

11 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this most difficult time. :pray:

11 Likes

VERY sorry to hear that @HVPGH. Sounds like have, and treat animals in your house, like we do, in our house. It’s never, not a big deal. I had a very similar situation a few years back with one of ours, and reading your words, confirmed, we have much in common.

Hang in there, and I wish you Godspeed on letting the next one pick you.

10 Likes

VERY agreed @muth, @HVPGH.

8 Likes

Wow @Lynda_Marie, very, well, said.

7 Likes

It’s a great feeling. Dogs are the best. Heartbreaking but I wouldn’t trade it for a million bucks :heart:

9 Likes

No words can ever encompass a loss, or make a shared experience relatable.

All I can say is to toast to the happiest shared memories and continue until you find a new balance.

8 Likes

Cute little darlings :blush:

6 Likes

Look at that expression, precious :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Love this! Definitely made me smile. It’s perfect, because that’s how it usually works out.

7 Likes

So true. When I first met Jazzy I was afraid to look into her eyes but she kept working on me, lol. One day she just wouldn’t stop staring at me and I finally looked into her soft brown eyes underneath those bushy eyebrows. I saw a pure love I never saw before and just melted. Jazzy taught me how to love.

7 Likes

Sorry you lost your best buddy. He was a good lookin boy.

9 Likes

So very sorry for your loss. I’ve lost two in the past 6 years due to old age and cancer. I know the pain you’re going through. Being more of an animal person than a people person, the loss of non-human friends is difficult to get past, but I hope in time you can, and offer that same love to a new friend. You’ll both need it.

8 Likes

I know all too well what an emotional toll a person goes through losing a member of the family. The Rainbow Bridge poem really hits home and I hope it had the comforting effect on your family as it did with me. :innocent:

9 Likes