My dad wants to try vaping to stop smoking

So he’s been trying to quite for a long time and nothing has worked so far. Dr said if he needs to stop. He’s 63 and has smoked since he was a teenager, he knows he needs to quite and wants to also. I told him how Wellbutrin and vaping helped me so he tried my vape and liked it. He even liked my recipe lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
So today he ordered a Kbox and Kanger subtank mini. Told him it was a safe setup and he wouldn’t have to rebuild coils.
Question is what mg of nic should I start him off with to get him off the smokes? He smokes about pack and a half a day right now :confused:

4 Likes

I started at 18 I think I know some ppl started higher
Not sure how the sub tanks work with throat hit mine is in the mail and will be here Friday I think I mix juice for friends and family from 0-24 mg nic
I’d suggest making a few 5 ml samples of different nic levels and letting him try them all let him decide

2 Likes

A safe bet would be an iStick 30W and a Nautilus - low power stuff with decent taste and clouds. Subtank mini/nano is also fine, but bear in mind a smoker will want to do mouth-to-lung, so it has to be closed almost completely off (like just a bit of one hole open)… That’s probably fine. I would still suggest the iStick+Nautilus for a long time smoker, beginner vaper :smile:

5 Likes

Second the nautilus or nautilus mini . I still use my mini when drinking as I find mouth to lung while having beers more satisfying

What brand does/did he smoke?

My first bottle was 36mg, i bought 24mg the very next day. It was still too high so i went down to 12mg. A lot of B&Ms will add nic if the level is too low.

BTW i smoked 2 PAD for 30+ years, marb reds execpt the last two years when i switched to rolling my own American Spirit.

2 Likes

Newport smoker.

He liked the simplicity of my kbox and it was only $26. I thought it was a decent foolproof starter for him. The reason I went Kanger mini is because I really like my nano (yeah I keep it pretty closed off), and like that he wouldn’t have to try and build coils. I’ve even seen that you can replace the cotton in the coil heads.

I still vape mouth to lung on all my RBA’s lol. Am I supposed to be hitting it like a pipe and going lung hits?

2 Likes

So, yeah, he’s used to a fairly strong menthol smoke. I rolled my own for too many years, no filter; I started with 24mg and then dropped down to 18mg in about 6 months. 2 years later, I’m doing 5 to 10mg depending on whether dripping or tank vaping.

3 Likes

Vape what ever way works best for you. Cigs arent the only thing i have smoked for 30 years so lung hits come natural to me.

4 Likes

What’s your mix?

Id say that it is a great starter device but there is one issue. When it comes time to charge it what then? This is the reason i bought my parents two istick 20w devices each. A lot of devices can run in passthrough mode but i discourage it, you shouldnt even talk on a cellphone while it charges.

1 Like

Very true @Ken_O_Where; I’ve never been without a backup of some form or other; be it rta/rda, mods and batteries. I get very nervous thinking about not having my vape when I want it!

1 Like

Same here and the last thing you want is to give someone a reason to grab a stinkie.Simply having two devices will lessen the possibility and since the are so cheap, compared to smoking, it is worth it to have a backup.

Even when i head out i have more than one device and a couple batteries.

1 Like

I ordered two batteries and a dual charger for him.

The recipe he tried was my Doing Grape which has been in my tank since I made it lol and he tried my bluepom bubblegum.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. I hope the extra battery helps a little bit. Maybe I’ll pick him up another unit or a few more batteries. A guy at work was saying he had a vw mod and four 18650 bats and charger that he would sell me for $20 since I gave him a turtle beach headset that I didn’t use

1 Like

Perfect, i didnt know it had a replaceable batt, your dad is going to love it!

What batts did you get?

Efest 2500mah

2 Likes

Nice! Well, if your Dad starts hankering for menthol and tobacco, I’m sure there are some good recipes on ELR. I’ve been vaping for over 2 years now and it’s taken me this long to finally reach out to other flavors, such as fruits; tobacco flavors was the magic in keeping me off inhaling burning leaves.

2 Likes

Fantastic, they are rewrapped LG HE2’s which are great batteries. He will have plenty of vape time on those.

2 Likes