My very 1st coil!

I’d be interested in that link :blush: I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read alot of postings for a cpl month before I tried the coil and wicking. This coil was actually pretty easy to wick! I’ve been vaping on it for a day and a half and it seems to be going pretty great so far!
How long does the cotton normally last before I have to re-wick approx? I know I depends on how much I’m vaping but just on average.

1 Like

Depends on what kinda juice I’m running but the first slightly burnt taste and it’s rewick time. As fast and as little material as it takes I’m always down for a rewicking if the flavor is off just the tiniest bit.
I can go up to a week if it’s a clean juice with no sweetener or 6 hours if it a high sucralose juice and I get a burnt taste.

3 Likes

Good for you @Jazzy_girl!! I remember how that accomplishment felt, and not that long ago. Keep it up, and Claptons will be too easy for you soon. :blush:

2 Likes

Very generally, for fruit, tea and flower flaves in 40%pg, 1-3wks on cotton, switching flavors is very slow so most people rewick. All I’ve used will fall apart after a month or so, even unused.

Rayon, better flavor off the bat, but steadily degrades, 1-3 weeks. Doesn’t seem to dissolve like cotton up to 6 weeks at least.

Hemp you can use daily for 6 months, sporadically for 16 months. It never dissolves. Flavor takes 2 day or so to peak and stays pretty level. It lasts longer than the coils using even smooth wire, WAY longer than claptons. You can change flavors with maybe 2ml with no residual flavor. I mean tobaccos (not NETs) to fruits and teas.

Nothing lasts as well the higher %vg you use and certain flavors trash coils. Rayon and hemp wicks and occ cotton coil life can be extended maybe 10% by hot ultrasonic bath in vodka, occ coils prefer soaks in distilled water and can be accelerated some by boiling, silica likes a cold soak. This is all my experience only, so YMMV.

I just bought a kg of a new kind of hemp. I’ll be reporting in after whatever tests I do or have done on it, roughly 1 month. I’ve been looking for months, finally found a place. Hemp is more difficult to use in some tanks. There is a tutorial thread I wrote some time back. I’d link, but up too late already and on phone.

3 Likes

Might want to look into RDA’s and Rayon - Graham CelluCotton, mine and others go to’s.

5 Likes

Definitely the Geek Vape Ammit the flavor is awesome the build is easy only setback is the whicking (dry hits, leaking) but after a few builds it’s easy to get it under control.

1 Like

I’d like to see the tutorial when you get time. Thanks for all he info!

2 Likes

I have the Ammit and agree regarding the flavor, BUT there is a distinct drawback with the atty. The design of the juice flow control being like that of a Kayfun 5 (although with way less threads to play with) causes the base to be lose after opening the juice flow control by loosening the base. This was a really cheap way for GV to design what would be an otherwise awesome product. I find myself picking up my Merlins before the Ammit because of this reason. I’m looking forward to trying the SMM atty, which by the way doesn’t have JFC at all. I’m definitely into single coil rta’s & rda’s now after having my fill of duals (Aromamizer supreme, Griffins, etc…)

1 Like

If you haven’t tried it yet throw some rayon in the puppy…best flavor wicking material around…and cheap too!

4 Likes

I usually run it wide open but when I’m running short on juice and can’t get my lazy ass in gear to make more I run it a 1/8 to a 1/4 open to conserve on juice and really don’t have a problem with the way it is designed mine seems steady yea I do get a slight rock if I try but it’s not a deal killer for me it’s the flavor that Im looking for and it hits all the right notes. Don’t know what wire you use but my favorite isa 24g kanthal twisted with a 24g ni80 on a drill till it snaps 5 to 6 wraps it ohms out to . 28 to. 30

2 Likes

As for whicking I use cellucotton about $2.49 for a bag at the local beauty supply store.

3 Likes

yep - that would be the stuff…for about $20 you can get a lifetimes supply from Saly’s Beauty, online.

3 Likes

I can’t paste via my phone for some reason, but if you search this forum for “hemp wicking” it’ll be the first link.

Sorry, went fishing at 330 this morning, so I was rushing to get my 5 hours of sleep last night.

2 Likes

Yup that’s where I got mine have a store about a 1/2 mile from me so I don’t have to wait for it when I run out.

1 Like

Congrats, now you never need run out of coils again, or pay bi weekly for products that taste half as good. I use 316l twisted pair or tri with 5 or 6 turns spaced for temp control, and they last ages. I recently switched to using a silica wick and so far have been very impressed, between the silica wick and temp controlled stainless steel coils, vaping has never tasted so good.

2 Likes

I never knew there were so many different types of wicks. Is it fairly easy to work with? Do you use the same process as wicking with cotton?

1 Like

There are. There is a cotton brand called Angorabbit Cotton. Vaping Computer Guy just posted a video about it the other day.

A lot of people from what I’ve read online seem to like it. I’ve asked him if it was chemically treated because it doesn’t “burn” like regular cotton and he said it’s Organic & Natural. It may be worth a try also.

2 Likes

Thank you Leilani for sharing this :blush: its very informational! I’d like to try that cotton, it looks almost like beauty supply house cotton. Years ago before I became a nurse, I used to be a cosmetologist. The cotton looks similar to the cotton I used for perming. Its very absorbent.

1 Like

You’re welcome chicky. Perming cotton? I’ve never seen this. I wonder if it’s the same…

1 Like

It comes in a long string like that and I a big box. Its really soft too.

1 Like