N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

The alert came on, that there was activity on this thread, and it took me by surprise. It had been so long that I had forgotten I had the alert on! I haven’t reactivated the NET gear yet, but it’s great seeing the resent surge of interest & activity. I have to admit, it’s whetting my appetite…lol.

I’m actually doing some of your C&D Izmir Turkish, @Kinnikinnick … It’s my favorite of your samples. Very good stuff!

I FINALLY found a dinky little dripper that doesn’t make me gag from the intensity. It’s the dripper version of the Kayfun Mini 2.1. Took a gamble on a couple for $4 each. I hated it as an RTA. It’s a leaky PITA that oozed all over and was a huge pain to fill. Has one of those spring loaded check valve fill ports.

I happened to notice something in the microscopic manual that mentioned ‘build for dripper’. It’s right up my light weight MTL alley. I’ve wanted a dripper to test flavors & mixes for a long time, and finally found one I can handle. It’s also a breeze to rewick & burn. I have fun flavor hopping with it. I have the Izmir Turkish in it now.

I’ll eventually get the gear back out and make some NET. The Izmir Turkish will be at the top of my list, when I do.

Have fun getting your first batch going @vaug . Have patience and ye shall be rewarded. It’s nice seeing the recent activity!

2 Likes

Very much looking forward to it.

1 Like

Hopefully, the whole leaf Izmir Turkish Oriental I just received will be just as good, if not better! :sunglasses: I’ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

Here’s what I use for my juice tester" SXK Hadaly Style RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - Silver, Stainless Steel, 22mm… easy to wick, build, I put a 3.0mm 316L single contact coil and rayon. works like a dream. About $12 at at 3Fvape

Thanks for the recommendation. I had actually given up finding one that was tolerable. I had probably tried 6 or 7 different ones. They were all just too strong, and made me gag & cough. Maybe heat was part of the issue. I tried spaced coils, contact coils, lowering the power (I never go over 10 watts on any of my gear), Adjusting air, tighten it up, more air, different drip tip diameters. I couldn’t get a realistic sample of the flavor I was trying to test.

I have to assume the KF Mini 2.1 works so well, because the deck is just like KF Lite + RTAs that I really like (only smaller). The air feeds from directly beneath the coil, like the KFL+. I don’t get much run time off of it, maybe 8 to 10 vapes from a few drops on the wick, but that’s enough to give me a good idea of the flavor, and it’s an accurate reflection of what to expect from my tanks. The vape is virtually the same.

I’m just glad I have a quick & easy way to test flavors now. I do appreciate the tip on the Haladay, thaough. Always nice to get a positive recommendation on gear.

@d_fabes & @Kinnikinnick Hey you guys, I have an extraction of this (the C&D not the whole leaf…) using my “patented” 3Stage extraction techniques. PM me if you want a sample for comparison… Here is my taste notes on it: " Nice Turkish with good tobacco body, does not have the aromatics like PS 84Turkish - and it is more dry, and slightly woody character as a base note vrs the PS84 Turkish,"

Uhh, I have a question for you: These were NET samples right? -and- The samples were not the pure maceration right? I mean you were dripping a tester sample made perhaps like, for example 3mls 50/50 PG/PV mixed with 1 ml of the maceration extract under test?

A few of them were NET samples from Jim. The samples were pure maceration that I mixed at 15 & 20 % with my usual base which is 45P / 55V. I treated them like any other flavoring, other than increasing the percentage.

I’ve had the same overpowering results with commercial synthetic flavorings like Hangsen, INW, etc. Those are usually sampled at 5% to start.

No, I wasn’t vaping 100% maceration (or any other flavorings), if that’s what you were wondering.

ok got me further down the hole i go… now i was looking at aeropress, what would be filters i need, cant find the i see the one for coffee is it good, i saw here somewher someone was using 300 or les mesh filters…

70mm/7cm will get you very close to the size filter used for the Aeropress.

I got this yesterday:

and shot a cheap vacuum pump on ebay. For the first filtration, to squeeze the tobacco, i will use a tool which you make normaly mashed potatoes with. Also a very cheap used one from ebay. I hope it will work like i imagine.

1 Like

I’m sure you will be happy with your new NET tools. :wink: Finding what works for you is just part of the fun.

What tobacco are you filtering on the first go round with your new equipment?

Tabaccoleaves from: Burley, Virginia, Kentucky, Orient and American Blend Stripes (Ithink it´s a blend from the others). I put the leaves in ethanol around 70% and let them steep till end of the month. the press, filtering, dilute with pg and remove the ethanol with moderate heat. and then steeping for 3 month or so. Thats the plan.

Reporting back on the G.L. Pease ~ Stonehenge Flake, after a 6 month cold steep. This is a very nice Va/Per with a pleasantly full flavored Burley kicker; very satisfying ADV.

GL Pease Stonehenge Flake 2oz | Smokingpipes.com

I played around with my maceration technique and solvents on this one; very happy with the outcome.

Started the maceration off with 1oz of tobacco in PG, warmed at 125 degrees for 8 hours. After the cook, I added 50ml of PGA to the maceration, sealed the jar, gave it a good shake (and once a month for good measure) to blend the solvents and sent it off to the steep closet for 6 months.

Prior to filtering, the PGA content in the maceration was reduced via evaporation, by roughly 40%. After the filtering process (2.5 micron), the extract was then mixed with my base at 15%.

I feel this hybrid solvent technique brightened up the outcome of my usual PG maceration considerably; also, no discernible PGA flavor note in the vape.

No matter your maceration technique, the GLP Stonehenge Flake is one for the keeper/cellar list, if you like a Va/Per with plenty body.

1 Like

Do NET Liquids need a steep, after mixing?

There are many varying opinions on this front. It all comes down to your personal choice, experience, and/or mixing methods.

For me, after the process of mixing (+/- 30 minute warm rice bath and frothing/stirring), I find most of my NET mixes ready to vape immediately.

For others, they say allowing the NET mix to rest/steep for a bit after mixing, allows things to meld and mellow.

In time, you will decide for yourself… or as @Josephine_van_Rijn says, “when it tastes good to you… it has steeped enough”.

4 Likes

I’m gonna hear this quote for a long time don’t I?

3 Likes

Wise words my friend, thank you.

I’m glad to vape my first net and make my own practical experience. DIY is a very exiting hobby, which put my patience to the test.

That statement from you has always been my absolute favorite concerning “steep time”! In my opinion… It completely sums up the topic! :wink:

1 Like

I made a few NETs six months or so ago, some worked, some didnt, the one I have gone back to time and time again is in the recipe below which I am really enjoying this evening on first tastes:

PS Thanks for this thread, some of the main contributors comments were invaluable in helping me make my purchases both in terms of tobaccos and the likes of the aero press and crock pot, great thread!

1 Like