N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

Okay. So I line the slow cooker with a couple cups of white rice?
What setting do I put it on, Warm?
I know the 1oz Tobacco to 150ml PG ratio.
Would the same thing apply to using freshly ground vanilla beans? or would it be more like 1/2 vanilla beans to 150ml PG?
Thank you kindly for the help!

Add enough rice in the crock so that when you push/wedge the mason jar into the rice, the level of the rice equals the contents of the jar.

Iā€™d say most crocks measure around 125 degrees *F on the warm setting; this should be fine. You might want to get a candy thermometer to assure your heat is what you want.

I have never make a vanilla bean extraction. You might need to search around for more info on that topic.

1 Like

I appreciate all your feedback!
Got it ā€œcookingā€ now.
I just hope you mean dry white rice (not water added to it)?
Salute

Indeedā€¦ dry riceā€¦ unless your in need of a side dish for supper, donā€™t add water. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I did some long overdue cleaning and guess what I found?

Looks like I have some filtering to do :blush:

5 Likes

Nice backlog! :grinning: Let us know how they turn out! Even though I have a copious amount of tobacco cellared, awaiting the jar, I still like to hear about certain tobaccos which meet cellaring approval from others.

Give your whiskered helper a scritch on the head for me! :relieved:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s two Peter Stokkebyes among them, they were special editions called fourth generation, one is 1957 and the other 1982.

I will keep you posted when I get around to em.

You know what they say about cats and curiosity :smirk_cat:

1 Like

For anybody that still buys N.E.Tā€™s thereā€™s a Black Note sale on at Health Cabin.

Iā€™ve had some of that before I started making my own and it is very good quality N.E.T.

2 Likes

Humm, at USD $0.75 / per ml the prices are outrageous. Make your own. Additionally, I have commented elsewhere about some concerns I have with these type of ā€˜boutiques NETSā€™: Here is a brief summary of my concerns: I am not singling out Black Note, as all boutique vendors have some or all of these issues:

• Commercial vendors of NETs, like what you can buy online, or at selected vape shops have a few issues One is that, almost without exception the ā€˜ready to vapeā€™ NETs that these folks offer is very weak in flavor profile strength for true MTL vaping.

• The other major issue is that they are marketed with obscure and meaningless names that give no clue to what the base tobacco was that they used to make the extraction. Black Note is the biggest offender here. To effectively work with NETs you need very complete descriptions of the tobaccos used and a complete description of the vaping flavor profile. To see how a description listing should be done see my blog here. or see tobacco reviews such as tobaccoreviewsdotcom

• Of the dozens of commercial companies that are offering ā€˜tobacco vapesā€™ it is unclear that any of those products are 100% tobacco leaf macerations. Most use commercially made ā€œextractionsā€ from large industrial producers like this..

These are all valid points. However, for me the Black Note serie was what got me into N.E.Tā€™s in the first place.
@Kinnikinnick and I both got a box send over for review, I got mine through the lobbying of @Kinnikinnick actually.

We both decided we liked it and also both decided it was expensive and started to make our own.
This deal might well be the start for someone else.
Jumping into N.E.Tā€™s can be pretty daunting, especially if you donā€™t know whether you even like them or not.

1 Like

For ā€œold hatā€ DIY NET heads like us, @50YearsOfCigars, the idea of paying $.50 to $1 per ml for something we can easily make ourselves seems silly. But, there was a day when I wasnā€™t even aware I could make my own eliquid, synthetic or NETā€¦ period. Iā€™m sure there are folks that will never take the plunge to DIY their own juice. For them, manufacturers of NET liquid such as Black Note, is one of their few avenues to experience a tobacco derived juice.

I can vouch that many of the Black Note liquids could satisfy the desires of someone looking for a tobacco based juice. Plus, their NET filtering process is much more refined than ours. This was fairly evident to me when coil gunking issues with BN liquids was much, much lower than that of other manufacturers or my own NET. So, when folks are vaping BN juice in popular premade coil tanks/clearomizers, they arenā€™t going to be pissed off that they canā€™t vape more than 2ml worth of juice without changing out their coil.

If I had the expendable cash, wasnā€™t into the whole DIY juice thing, and was looking for a NET tobacco juiceā€¦ Black Note would most likely be high on my list as a NET vendor. :wink:

2 Likes

I guess I will question that pointā€¦

Not trying to be argumentative, just playing the devils advocate here: but I suspect Black Note is just another hexane extracted product from the likes of:
Heavy hitter players like McCormick which have long since bought out the major Italian flavor manufacturers like Giottiā€¦ Of course, there is really no argument here but, ā€œBlack Noteā€ is a re-packaged product from Italy. To me its major appeal is that it is wrapped in outrageous over the top professionally designed art work. I would pay $20 bucks for the art work, but the product, not so much.

If it really does ā€œnot gunkā€ that is a give away that the extraction is made via a professional industrial flavoring extraction process. You can filter real PG nets down to -.20 micron and it will not remove the ā€œgunkā€ (*) : which is a result of natural sugars. To keep the ā€˜flavorā€™ and leave behind the ā€˜gunkā€™ (sugars) you need to do it chemically via precise extraction methods that are very familiar and in use as part of standard industrial flavoring factories.

(*) You can try this yourself as a $12 kitchen experiment with one of these:

Syringe Filter, Membrane Solutions Lab Supply Sterile Filter PES, 0.22 micron Pore Size, 33mm Diameter, Pack of 10
Membrane Solutions Lab Supply
Link: http://a.co/d/iEB5HGq

PS: I am not saying Black Note is not "NETā€™ā€¦ at least it is made from tobacco leaf back at the startā€¦ it is just a question of how you use the word NETā€¦ You know me, always bitchinā€™ about words -:grinning:

2 Likes

From what I read on their site, they cold macerate the tobacco in PG/VG for 6 weeks. Where they go from there, I have no clue. Just for giggles, Iā€™ll give them an email and see if they will shed some light on their process. My guess is theyā€™ll be a little tight lipped on that. :smirk:

2 Likes

wow! thank you so much for this! NOW IM OFF TO FIND AN AEROPRESS!

2 Likes

:hugs: ā€¦ easy and inexpensive way to filter small batch concentrates, for sure. Good luck in your endeavors.

Documented a few of my most recent NET steeps. Heres some Solani Virigina Flake and Sutliff Molto Dolce.

One ounce of tabaccer, then properly shredded/chopped.

Topped up with PG and more tobacco til it was all in there.

Only got this pic of the Molto Dolce. Just filled the jar up the same way.

Iā€™ve got maybe 6-8 NETs going at the moment. Got a lot of my info from this thread. Lot of great stuff in here. Doing cold steep in PG. No heat at all. Picked up a cheap pipe to sample some of these to have a reference point and so far the Solani Aged Burley Flake is my fav as far as smoking it. Iā€™m sure it will make a wonderful NET, as several others have said.

I have a couple that have been steeping for over 2 months now, so I need to get around to actually filtering them. I have 2.5 micron filters, but I still need an Aeropress.

Sampled some Peter Stokkeye Dark Fired at one month, mixed at 10%, and I immediately knew I was going to continue making NETs. It was downright fantastic.

4 Likes

From personal experience, it will indeed! :sunglasses: Over time, I have gravitated more towards Burley blends than any other and IMO this tobacco is pretty much is at the top of the Burley class. C&D Haunted Bookshop is next in line, though it has other leaf includedā€¦ still a very enjoyable Burley blend.

That needs to be on your Santa list! :rofl:

Success can lead to the addiction of finding that next tobacco to macerate. :wink:

5 Likes

Filtered some Brazilian Arapiraca Filler from Leaf Only last night and doing some sampling right now. Did 3 months in PG with a 12 hour heat at the beginning. Mixed at 15%, 60/40 PG/VG, Vaping it in my Berserker Mini at 13 watts.

Mellow and smooth flavor. Not too complex. Has a bit of spice to it. Seems like itā€™s begging to be mixed with a nice, robust wrapper extract. I also tested it at 7% in a DTL RDA at around 30 watts and it was almost begging me to mix it in a hybrid recipe, so I did a real simple one. I did:

• 5% Brazilian Arapiraca Filler

• 3% CT Havana Prime

• 2.5% FW Hazelnut

It was really good. I think Iā€™ll mix that up in a 30 ml to rock in my daily RTA and see how long the coils last without some super gunk.

7 Likes

hey just an updateā€”aeropress is amazing! seriously, itā€™s essentially the same as a real buchner funnel from college chemistry except with a new, simplified/cheaper technique. i LOVE it! one day i might even use it to make coffee :joy:

2 Likes

Good to hear youā€™re having success with filtering! :sunglasses:

Soā€¦ whatcha got going through that Aeropress these days?

1 Like