Need help with measuring please

Hey, Im having issues with this and I can not understand why so I will explain everything I am doing. I tried making my first batch of ejuice and it did not come out to the right amount. The flavoring was there but it was not as much as I wanted to create. I am attempting to make 60ml bottles of this juice but when I input all of the ingredients by percentages from the recipe it does not add up to 60ml is was less like 30 to 40ml.

What I am using:
Grams scale(calibrated and goes to .001 grams)
60ml bottles
10% PG base nic(I dont know if this matters or not but I put it in here)

My settings on the ejuice me up software:
Nicotine strength PG 100 % at 100mg/ml
Target Pg 30% Target VG 70%
Target Nic strength 3mg/ml
Amount to make 60ml bottle
Coconut 1.50%
Strawberry 12.00%
Watermelon 6.00%

This is the recipe I was trying to make:

After inputting those settings and I do tare after every ingredient I add, I get these numbers in grams:
Nicotine ejuice 1.86
PG 4.67
VG 52.92
Coconut .9
Strawberry 7.2
Watermelong 3.6

Which in total comes up to 71.15 grams but when I add all of those ingredients into my bottle its way less. I know I have 60ml bottles b/c I had an empty Lemon twist 60ml bottle and filled it up and poured it into the bottles I purchased and it is full.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong before I pull what little hair I do have left out of my head. Thank you!

6 Likes

@ownedbypandas that recipe is for 30ml.

You need to edit it, or adapt it, then edit it to 60ml

7 Likes

I did that part already if you look up to the last section I posted It shows the values of a 60ml bottle.

4 Likes

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer There is a screenshot of the software. To make sure I am doing this right. I put the bottle on the scale then turn it on, then add 1.86 grams of nic then hit tare then 4.67 grams of pg then hit tare etc?

4 Likes

Those numbers are correct, and your total is too. If you’re measuring accurately, and taring in between adds, then either you’ve got the wrong size bottle, or something is wrong with your scale perhaps.

2 Likes

@SessionDrummer I know for sure the bottles are 60ml b/c I had an old 60ml labeled bottle from a Lemon twist juice I used to smoke and after filling it with water and pouring it into my bottle it added up to 60ml. So I guess my scale is wrong?

4 Likes

3 Likes

Well you’re running out of things it can be. We’ve double checked using two different calculators, and the numbers are correct. You obviously know how to tare the scale in between adds, and if you’re bottle is a 60ml bottle, there’s not much left except your scale.

What model, and how do you calibrate it ? Did it come with, or do you have calibration weights ?

4 Likes

Its a weigh gram, I got it on amazon. Had great reviews that’s why I got this one. It does have a calibration method which I have done twice so far. I calibrate it by holding the mode button, then pressing it once more and the placing a empty bottle in the center and it prompts on the screen that it has passed.

4 Likes

No sure what calibration weights are.

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer its my scale I just calibrated and weighed a quarter coin and its only saying 2.67 grams but apparently they weigh up to 5 grams. Thank you so much man I have been going crazy trying to figure this out. This scale is brand new so smh.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with that scale, but a popular one is the LB501. Had AC adapter, never powers down in the middle of a session, has back lit LCD display, and comes with CAL weights.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-LB-501-Digital/dp/B005UGBG20/

5 Likes

I would agree. The recipes are both the same and would give the same result. It comes down to your measuring and the scale.

I would guess that it is the scale and not measuring accurately enough.

If the scale for example is only accurate down to 0.1 of a gram you may run into issues. Also, if you cannot calibrate the scale with 99.8% (percentage is estimated here) accuracy your results may vary. This is where calibration weights are needed.

Did I try to use the penny method or nickel method in the past? Yup, and it wasn’t accurate enough.

2 Likes

Does that really matter?
If the scale is 10% off
it is the same for all ingredients
proportions (%) remain the same.
only thing that can happen is an overflowing bottle-----

2 Likes

60 ml VG = 63.05 grams
60 ml PG = 51.80 grams

2 Likes

Valid point. Then again, how will you determine how far off you are? And then when dealing with measurements of 0.01 grams…how close is close enough? And how much math conversion do you want to do when subtracting 0.1 from a measurement of 0.07 grams at 9000ft elevation?

3 Likes

Valid point you made as well…
I suggest mixing only @sea level @27C @1000 hPa
dont try it in a vacuum chamber!
and mention the environmental conditions in the recipe notes for exact reproduction…:wink:

3 Likes

If you don’t have calibration weight,
20 US nickels weigh 100 grams.
If you have a 50 g scale use 10 nickels :ok_hand:
(If you don’t have nickels, use pennies but double the amount, 40 US pennies weight 100 grams)

1 Like

For the record… Any US banknote weighs 1 gram. :wink:

3 Likes