Need help with watermelon

I’ve been mixing for about three years. Up until September I was using exclusively Vape Wild concentrates and was satisfied with my mixes. Vape Wild discontinued their diy line sometime around September, so I started ordering from River supply. I order watermelon (tfa) mixed 2 juices both taste like burnt, dry coconut, the best way to describe it, 1 mix was tigers blood so it had coconut in it, the second did not. I narrowed it down to the watermelon and ordered a bottle of Purilum watermelon, I did 2 watermelon testers both at 4%, one of each brand, to me they taste like burnt coconut, but my friend said it tastes like watermelon to him. Not sure why the VW concentrate was spot on watermelon for me but these are not, and just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and is there anything I can do to get my watermelon to taste like watermelon?

Thanks in advance

6 Likes

I’ve heard of people being strawberry blind, not sure if Watermelon blind is a thing? I guess anything could be? I borrowed Wayne’s Idea took away the wild melon and it works for me as a watermelon. The concept was 1% FLV watermelon and 4% Cap Double Apple. He did also have dragon fruit in that recipe TPA and sweetener. Water Malone was the name of the recipe maybe that will help?

5 Likes

You would have to post up the recipe… 4% for standard flavors sound about right… but… you might have pushed the coconut for a tiger’s blood a touch higher too…

There is always a difference between diy and shop bought… so take that into consideration :smiley:

There was zero flv in this… you are working with standard flavors… 4% should be fine… the rest of the recipe… tho might be it too

4 Likes

The 4% testers were standalone watermelon and that even tasted like burnt coconut

3 Likes

I do have problems tasting strawberry. I actually have layered 4 different strawberries and I am finally starting to get strawberry taste. I was wondering as well if this watermelon thing could be along the same lines

6 Likes

hmm… Okay…
I realize you are working with tfa and Purilium… both companies I left behind years ago for the ultras like Flavorah and Medicine Flower… a few others are out there too…

Flavorah has a flavor called Pink Fruit… you might want to try it out, and keep your watermelon a bit low…

check out the recipe with how I laid everything out

4 Likes

I’ve got a couple flavors that taste like burnt tires as well if I’m using the recommended strength. Usually when you notice something like that, it’s due to overflavoring. Even when others use it at the same %, stop thinking about what others do and test it out for yourself.
Start with a 10ml, add a couple drops, shake and vape. Not enough? Add a couple drops, shake and vape. And repeat. See where it gets you and if you can find yourself a working range for the flavor.
There are always flavors that just won’t work for you (even if others rave about them) but don’t worry, there are plenty manufacturers and plenty good flavors.

9 Likes

Im going to like your post 1 million times…

I am not the only one that mixes like this, and I believe in the power of solos!!! :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Was the VW a candy type watermelon? I bet they use either TFA or Capella, most US eliquid vendors use one or both.

I am thinking it might be Capella Sweet Watermelon, my favorite of the 2 companies by far. Not so much a natural WM but a sweet candy like WM. I use it in mixes around 1.5 to 2% and it comes through nicely.

I would bet VW doesn’t use PUR or LorAnn which the LA Watermelon is a jolly rancher style. I tend to prefer the CAP better in a mix. There are better watermelon flavors out there depending on someone’s preference but the CAP Sweet Watermelon is probably it to match the VW.

6 Likes

I know VW did rebottle their flavor concentrates. I actually emailed them this morning asking if they could tell me, since they discontinued the diy line, what brand they rebranded. So we shall see

3 Likes

Yeah I normally start at about 1% standalone tester with new flavors but when I got the first order from Rs I was crunched for time and needed some shake and vapes. Most of what I mixed was spot on except the juices containing watermelon

2 Likes

Normally that’s not a bad starting point … but I can name you a few that will send you running if you try them at 1%.
If you’re not sure, start with drops. Or you can gauge a flavor’s strength by testing it on a knuckle or in a tablespoon of water too.

5 Likes

Thanks I will definitely give it a shot.

2 Likes

@Jmars, @anon28032772 is spot on here.

4 Likes

This may be one of those “DUH” questions but when was the last time your atomizer was cleaned really well?

5 Likes

Yet another one agrees… lol…:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I dunno Tz… they have an issue with tasting strawberries too… but havent seen the recipe… could be a taste bud thing… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But isn’t the main issue tasting coconut in his watermelon?

3 Likes

I use rdas to test juice, and they get cleaned and rewicked before I test a juice. Hell with this watermelon deal I went as far as putting new coils in, and tried it in multiple rdas

6 Likes

Yeah that’s the issue. Not really a recipe it’s standalone watermelon.

5 Likes