NEW Capella Flavors Reviewed by SessionDrummer -- Testing Now!

I hope your birthday was a blessed one! Happy Belated Birthday D-man!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @KC111.

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer Happy Belated Birthday to you mate, I hope you make a speedy recovery and kick this virus into touch. :hiking_boot: :rugby_football:

6 Likes

Hehe, thanks a lot @Lucas_James_Holden.

5 Likes

Really, another Cap Custard to getā€¦ grrrr
Been experimenting with Cap VCV1 and Cap/FW Bav cream to do exactly what this sounds like it has done.
Great review as per usual @SessionDrummer :grin:

8 Likes

Thank you very much @Ianc13.

Yes, I thought the same thing before I wrote the review. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Maqui Berry Wild Jam (CAP) 4% / 6% (1-2-24) ā€“ BACK in the saddle in 2024, AND, with this the MBWJ from Capella. Admittedly I am NOT a ā€œfruit guyā€, just in full transparency, BUT, that is what makes flavors like this, all the more impressive. This flavor people, WAS a show stopper. Like many of the others, I started at 4%, loved it, and cranked it up to 6%, and it just got even better. This WAS a complex berry medley, and honestly, like no other on my racks, and I have a lot of bottles on my racks. To start out, it had hints of quite a few elements, and I can only offer a close comparison at best. I got hints of Blackberry, a light Cherry, some Wine elements, and a delicious Red Currant. YES, thatā€™s what I got. It presented overall as a mid to somewhat darker complex berry medley, and it did have some nice jammy-ness to it, mostly on the finish. Sweetness was surprisingly a few ticks below mid-level, and that really allowed all of the berries to stay a little darker, more mysterious, and quite frankly, tasty. Sure, sure, you could dose it up if you wanted to, but you might loose some of the darker berry goodness.

TBH Iā€™d never heard of a Maqui Berry before, despite eating a lot of the other Super Fruit berries. Because darker berries, especially Blackberries are absolutely KNOWN for going floral if pushed, I pushed this one even HIGHER, and NO FLORALS, no off-notes, not one thing to nit-pick about. WOW. Letā€™s just say at the lower 4%, and 6% weights, there was NO squirrel-y-ness going on. This flavor, in total, was a powerhouse darker berry blend, that hammered your senses, in a GOOD way. I struggled to find a dominant note here, but the most consistent was the Red Currant, but only barely, with the Cherry, Blackberry after that, and lastly, the light wine notes. Wow, just completely impressed with this one. So much so, that I couldnā€™t NOT release the Kraken again with this one, and leave it at a 10/10. Big Bottle Approved.

14 Likes

Perfect Vanilla Cupcake (CAP) 4% / 6% (1-3-24) ā€“ I have to admit, whenever I see a flavor billed as ā€œPerfectā€, or ā€œUltimateā€, etc., Iā€™m even HARDER on the flavors than normal. Well maybe not entirely, but itā€™s a challenge, so I can nit-pick them maybe JUST a bit more. When I first smelled this one in the bottle, it had a somewhat ā€œsquirrel-yā€ under note, that had me concerned about testing it, BUT, after steeping at both 4%, and 6%, it had dissappeared. Testing at 4% was good, but (I know), at 6% it was better. A very smooth, and tasty vanilla overtone, with a more mysterious undertone. I directly compared this to CAPā€™s previously released Smooth Vanilla, and this one was darker, and richer. I did seem to taste a familiar taste that Iā€™ve gotten from another Capella flavor, but it was hard to exatly nail it down. After much side by siding, I did find it similar to their French Vanilla, but it was still not exactly the same. I think the BEST way to explain/compare it would be merging CAPā€™s Vanilla Cupcake with some French Vanilla.

NOW, what about the cakey cupcake ? I did get SOME cupcake here, but it never fully took shape, nor completely was convincing AS a cupcake. It wasnā€™t bad by any means, but because it really tasted like a V. Cupcake AND French Vanilla, it seemed like it reduced the actual cupcake part just a bit. Still there, but not as pronounced as I would have liked. The overal vanilla experience however WAS powerfully tasty, with more mid-body notes, with a few darker/lower notes, but not very many brighter, higher notes. Not a lot of bakery elements present, but it WAS hard to put down. Sweetness was at about mid-level which was fine for a desert flavor, and no off-notes to complain about. The lingering after note was similar to alot of CAP Vanilla flavors, and wasnā€™t a negative. My only complaint would be wanting some more cupcake from it LOL. All in, a great Vanilla showing from CAP, just not entirely cupcake(d). Marking down, just for that one reason, and leaving it still fairly high at a 8.5/10.

11 Likes

Mr @SessionDrummer sirā€¦ When are these flavors hitting the shelves for purchase?! I checked BCF- and havenā€™t seen anything yetā€¦ I may be blind af most times, so theres thatā€¦

Thanks!!

4 Likes

Damn that sounds kinda dissapointing on the cupcake. Iv been getting pretty burned out on cap french vanilla note lately . I was hoping for more bakery then vanilla.

6 Likes

Still waiting to hear back from Allan at Capella @D.Sims. I donā€™t know if BCF is done testing their samples or not to decide which theyā€™ll carry. Maybe @wllmc knows more ?

4 Likes

Mmm Iā€™m not much of a fruit vapor, but with the slight wine note and so many wild berry flavors I can see this making a really good Wild Berry Sangria. :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Yeah @McDuckie, it would work for that.

4 Likes

I been on a cereal kick lately and your sugary cereal review makes me want to just make a big tester bottle and homogenize it so i can try it right away. I may just make up a cereal and milk recipe to try right off the bat too.

9 Likes

@STR8V8PING hehe, I can see why. Youā€™ve GOT to post up YOUR thoughts on it though. Capella did a really good job trying to keep it neutral, which we can then shape into almost any cereal we need. Slight C27 undertones, but only slight.

6 Likes

That 4u def has a strong maltol smell. I assuming its gonna be very close to the jf ultimate ry4

5 Likes

As far as the FJ RY i think your tasting vanillinā€¦There is no EM .

2,5-Dimethyl-4-hydroxy-3-furanone

Methylcyclopentenolone

Vanillin

This is FJ RY4 double

4 Likes

If there isnt em they 100 percent gave me a bottle of something else. Hearing from a few people that may be the case. I use em in my recipes a lot. Side by side it smells like a bottle of 10 percent em. I think they may have given me just em

I dont get em from the original fj ry4 double, only the ultimate

4 Likes

The first one is used for a strong caramel taste and that may be it as well

4 Likes

Is that the ultimate datasheet or the original

3 Likes