New database error discussion thread

I’m starting to wonder if all of these new problems are being caused BY the Merge.

4 Likes

I did NOT get an alert because I don’t follow you :frowning_face:, but I do follow Rocky and did NOT get an alert for his latest fantastic ’ Demo Recipe (Adapt)'. I have no idea when alerts stopped.

Totally off topic, but go look at any recipe with a ‘Cap’ flavor. Your stash shows xxx(Cap), on recipe entry it shows xxx(Cap), but your saved recipe’s now show (CAP)

5 Likes

I backup my stash and recipes monthly just in case. This has proven very handy in mitigating some of the flavor issues. I was able to compare my current stash to previous backups and it helped sort things out quickly.

I wonder if there is a database backup of ELR recipes and stashes prior to the merge in full that could be setup to sort out some of the issues. Just a thought.

6 Likes

Well 12 days ago we were TOLD this.

And 9 days ago were TOLD this

Tomorrow still has not come. Those 2 fine gents might know your answer or the grand poobah himself @daath but all 3 have been running silent on the state we’re in.

4 Likes

Regardless of the mix up I have to applaud the attempt to straighten out the mess we mixers helped create. I do believe given time it will get sorted out but it will probably take months if not years. I try to keep in mind these people have lives outside of elr.

5 Likes

People Have complained for years about the Recipe Side …When TZ started sending a warning on recipe people got mad and went on the attack . That didnt work so he started down rating recipes so maybe those who were the worst offenders would quit entering wrong shit then people complained about that. Now this… My point is that for years people have complained and nothing has worked . They are trying their best for what i think is a lost cause . I am not sure there is a right way to fix this without closing the site and starting over. What i am sure of is that its gonna take time and there are going to be some bumps in the road. If yiu see a problem leave a comment so they know . THIS WILL NOT BE A GROUP PROJECT AND WILL NOT BE DISCUSSED AS A GROUP HOW TO PROCEED.

3 Likes

Excuse me, but your comment come across as blaming people for using the system wrong, rather than accepting that the system should have been improved. I presented a useful solution to this 4 years back, because you cannot really blame users for fucking up data, that should be a backend/validation solution. Putting on a flavor name police officer wasnt the right solution IMO specially when it started out with what many experienced as bad attitude.

Once again, the solution was fairly simple and if it was implemented 4 years ago it would have saved so many moderation hours, plus this mess that is faced now could have been avoided. Simply, give flavors a column called “validated” or so, and only show the validated flavors in the autocomplete. This way, people would still be able to use custom flavors, but they would be hidden. Heck, that way it would even be possible to make filtering, so only recipes with validated flavors would be listed… or make it so only recipes with validated flavors can be marked as public. I bet, validating flavors will be a lot less work than constantly try to fix shit… and people who would want public recipes would have to learn to use correct flavors.

I think it is a shame it has come to the point where blame is directed at the users, when the fault is basically how the system is made. We cannot expect that new users will understand how things work… Fix for the system, could probably be done with maximum 4 hours work, and following fix less time on moderating would be needed.

It would suit some to be a bit more humble on both sides of this mess!

9 Likes

Your Excused…I am not sure where i place blame towards the site or anyone? There is a lot of reading between the lines to come up with that but if thats how you feel i came across thats ok. You and I both know there are many users that use ELR for their test recipes and dont care how they list flavors but knowone can even blame them for the mess. The flavor mess has been a thing since 2015 maybe even sooner.

Im not gonna get into a big debate over this. They are proceeding how they are and hopefully things will end up ok afyer all is said and done.

This thread is for people to point out the mistakes so hopefully they can be fixed while other things are being fixed. Your idea sounds great but i am not computer savvy so have no clue how easy that would be

2 Likes

Not reading between the lines “those who were the worst offenders” just one piece that make it come across as blame is pointed at users.

Yes i am aware of that, but again, solution for the mess created by the users should be backend based. If the solution i suggested got implemented, they could test as much as they would like, their mess would be hidden away, not only their messy flavor naming but their recipes too.

I am also aware that the problem is very old, which just makes me wonder why a proper solution havent been made, because we are not talking about that many hours of coding, and again, i bet it would lead to a lot less work needed for moderating.

7 Likes

It looks like being discussed in close session isnt working out to well.

9 Likes

Lol agreed …

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this ^^^^. Obviously endless debates, and trying to appeal to EVERY member is impossible, and could run forever, BUT, I take issue with this statement.

We ARE all in this together. TZ and Ken aren’t fixing it for themselves, their fixing it for ALL of us. Some of us have spent a GREAT DEAL of time, effort, and work posting, reviewing, adding notes, etc., and have a VERY large vested interest in this NOT getting screwed up.

I do not agree that shutting many of us OUT of the considerations, conversations, and/or possible fixes, is a wise move at all.

I have noticed that during/while/after this merge, some people have pulled out and stopped posting recipes here. I do not want to see that trend continue. I think that INCLUDING us in what’s going on, would work FAR better, than EXCLUDING.

We ARE all in this together @fidalgo_vapes.

7 Likes

You shouldnt feel any type of way …We can discuss the problems or give advice but in the end there are a couple people working on it and they will proceed how Lars and they feel is best .

2 Likes

Try being one of the discord mods and having to answer “I donated but still see ads” and tell me why I pulled all my recipes down.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re in the conversation with the data base ppl, but assuming you are. I’ve left all my flavors as-is post Merge, just wondering when / if I can fix / re-enter the flavors myself. Or just pull the recipes off ELR?
Mostly concerned with Cappuccino (SC) :pray:

5 Likes

I’ll proudly admit that I use (and enjoy using) some “outside the mainstream” flavors. For those flavors, I always included a link to the page for that flavor, to show and prove that it is valid, in the notes. No matter, the flavor police will have their way. I noticed that I’m down three flavors today from 561 to 558 and I no longer have time for needles in the haystack.

If I were the grand poo bah, I would add a mandatory text field for including the link to a flavor’s manufacturer or vendor page before it could be entered as new - if you can’t prove it’s valid, you’re SOL. And then all the newly entered flavors would go into a “sandbox” for verification and/or merging with existing.

But I’m not a grand poo bah (and so far the silence from the grand poo bahs is deafening), so my donations have stopped and my migration elsewhere for recipe creation has begun.

{not a dramatic exit post, just a no longer give af post}

7 Likes

This is the stuff we should be hearing ty …I know it contradicts my " Thks is not a group project " BS statement but something set me off and since i put it out there its out there and i am not a person thats gonna delete something bc people dont like it

1 Like

Milk and Honey ??

4 Likes

Oh don’t even touch my Milk N Honey… that would be the last straw :laughing:

4 Likes

Brilliant solution @Ronni.

6 Likes