New DIYer question

Hi. I have bought pre-mixed 3mg 50/50 pg/vg unflavored juice and just 1 flavor I’m trying to make a 120ml recipe for. I’m sure it’s easy for some of you but the calculator has like 10 different settings that I have no idea what to fill in. Can some one please help a noob? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

It’s easy, on the “Amount to make” you put 120ml, then tick “Use vape-ready nicotine base” add your flavour from the list and that’s it… very easy really…
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

5 Likes

Tho it doesnt matter since as soon as u check vape ready base is checked u cant change the desired strength but that looks confusing. They would enter the nic strength as 3mg and pg/vg content as 50/50. The desired strength gets locked as but then they can see the actual pg/vg % outcome after they add flavors.
I would hope awaiting a response if not found already that ya have read some pinned topics for beginners @Grintch . Tho your question isnt covered in Beginner's Guide to Using The ELR Recipe Calculator it wont hurt to learn the basics. Welcome aboard and you can officially say hello here Be polite and introduce yourself! Gl to u!

5 Likes

The 3 was there just because I used my own settings, just for speed, but could be anything really, Been a ready made, as far as PG/VG-nic ratio it’ll be a “Wrong” recipe anyway and he won’t be able to tweak anything.

Sometime when I travel (a lot…) I prepare a 60/30-35ish base coz I know that, as an average, I’d add from 5 to about 9% flavourings and I think it’s the only way you can get away with a ready made base. Definitely can’t do much with an “off the shelf” base.

5 Likes

Hi and a big welcome to ELR.
May I suggest you read a bit about mixing e-liquids? You’re definitely not the first mixer around and A LOT of your questions will have been asked before you by other people. All that useful info is still here on the forum. The section E-liquids > Beginners is a very good place to get up to speed but there are other sections that you will find very interesting.

@Iv3shf is the vape ready base liquid function working now? As far as I know, it’s broken.
If you have premix, you should use the max vg option or do manual calculations if you want to be accurate (which is not the intention).
We just had a discussions about it and you’re still getting the same errors

Search the forum for more info
https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/search?q=premix

@daath, is it really a difficult thing to get the vape ready base function to work? A lot of new people have issues with it and probably more than anywhere else, in TPD countries it is very likely that mixers will turn to premix bases because of the availability issues with higher strength nic. There are work-arounds but none of them is very accurate.

5 Likes

It is highly probable that you will toss those 120ml away. You need to do some testing before jumping to 120ml bottles. Make 10ml bottle and if you find it satisfying enough then go to 30ml and only then to 120ml. Even most experienced vapers don’t make 120ml bottles of unknown flavors (or better, especially they don’t do this newbie mistake, not to mention that absolutely noone would ever do this with a single flavor recipe; yes, even if it is a one shot flavor). Test, test more, test even more, bend it and make it more delicious and only then make a big bottle of it. If you just bought a beer home brewing equipment, you don’t make 50 gallons with your first try, right?

5 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. When I click “add flavor”, it then asks for a percentage of flavor to add. I don’t know that. Is there a common percentage that most people use?
I will take advice and make some 30ml batches first.

2 Likes

Ofc, that is usually somewhere between 0.05% - 20%. Joking aside, how could anyone be able to advise if you never mentioned what your ‘1 flavor’ is? You can find your flavor in Flavor List here at ELR and you will find average quantities used (btw, i really mean you should not mix more than 10ml at first).

3 Likes

My flavor is Raspberry by Flavor west.

2 Likes

You should have to look at this page

Then have a look at the following example

Take note of the warnings (if there are any) and make sure you understand what they mean and only use it if you are still comfortable using it. (You probably have the “safe” flavor without warnings)

Then you can look at the median usage of the flavor. These values are recommendations made on the % used by other users. Use them as an indication and still rely on your own single flavor tests (that is why 10ml testers are recommended). If I see a 3% recommendation, I will likely start at 1%, see what it does and build up. That way you have a good understanding of how the concentrate works on its own and how it could be used in a mix (e.g. a raspberry cheesecake or cookie).

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. How do you access those pages on the different flavors?

3 Likes

If I recall. Select resources on the flavor side and then select the flavor list then search away.

2 Likes

e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors

3 Likes

Tyvm, everyone.

3 Likes

This is what I did and it’s not perfect but it gets close enough for me. https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/3277088/Higgy%20Cigs%20DIY%20Mix

2 Likes

I’ve put this into an easy PDF to follow here (note that this is using HiggyCignature concentrates because I was making a layout for them) Easy DIY with pre-mixed base and Flavor Concentrate

2 Likes

Jenn tried to explain this to me (HiggyCigs) when you buy a pre mixed base from them even though it says 70/30 it accounts for how much flavor you’re going to be putting in so say it was a 15% concentrate recommend the actually bottle of premixed base you bought would be 90/10 or something similar to account for the concentrate. Not sure if @HiggyCigs is here on the forum but if they are they would be much better explaining this.

3 Likes