New health claims?

Hi all,

I got an email on my phone today regarding breaking news, it now appears that e-cigs are no longer as healthy as first thought.

Reports suggest that they give you acid reflux, wheezing along with various other conditions.

My question is, are any of you suffering ???

I started vaping three years ago, and since have gotten asthma, my wife says I wheeze quite a bit on a night, and I’ve also got tablets for life due to excess reflux acid, that to be fair is that bad some nights I’ve got to make myself vomit.

Anyone else had any symptoms, as I’d like to see if there are any truth in the new claims.

Thanks Dave

5 Likes

Did you ever smoke ??? Here’s the thing about vaping , IT IS NOT A HEALTHY THING TO DO . Vaping is a safer alternative to smoking though , people have allergies to PG and even some certain flavors . I wonder if maybe your sensitive to PG or something … I know for myslef if I vape A mix that is too high VG my lungs feel very heavy so my max Vg is 75 …

11 Likes

I smoked for +/- 38 years; mostly unfiltered or RYO …been vaping for +/- 5 years …last 2 years have been 100% NET …vape a 60PG/40VG ratio @ 7.5mg/ml PG nicotine.

No issues here… :thinking:

10 Likes

No issues here. Been vaping for three and more years.

I see that you havnt posted for awhile but it may be time for new life style changes. We all need to make these. Eat more veggies, get more activity in our life, drink less alcohol… etc. weezing and acid reflux is your body telling you to change something.

12 Likes

Have you tried lowering your vg? I can’t see how vaping could cause or exasperate acid reflux unless you are somehow swallowing the hit. Have you seen a doctor?

6 Likes

True that… :confused:

My kidneys were killing me, due to drinking unfiltered coffee constantly. As soon as I started filtering my brew, the pain subsided. :hugs: … listened to my body screaming at me to change my old habits.

7 Likes

Could you possibly link the article? I would be interested in reading it and know who authored the article, what studies were involved and so forth.

From the AAFA

At least 30% of adult asthma cases are triggered by allergies. People who are allergic to cats may have an increased risk for developing adult onset asthma. Exposure to allergens or irritants such as cigarette smoke, chemicals, mold, dust, or other substances commonly found in the person’s environment (e.g. home or work place) might trigger the first asthma symptoms in an adult.

Prolonged exposure to certain workplace materials may set off asthma symptoms in adults.

Different illnesses, viruses, or infections can be a factor in adult onset asthma. A bad cold or a bout with the flu is often a factor in adult onset asthma.

Smoking does not cause adult onset asthma; however, if you smoke or if you are exposed to cigarette smoke (second-hand smoke), it may provoke asthma symptoms.

From WebMD on the cause of reflux

• Eating large meals or lying down right after a meal
  • Being overweight or obese
  • Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist
  • Snacking close to bedtime
  • Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
  • Drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
  • Smoking
  • Being pregnant
  • Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications

On another vaping forum I visit I am seeing an alarming number of illnesses that occur after qutting smoking and the start of using ecigs. Some of these illnesses seem impossible to be vape related, but they can’t be ruled out. There is not enough data out there and vaping is still in it’s infancy.

If it were me, I would seek the advice of a medical doctor. If I felt like vaping was causing health related issues for me, I would make a lifestyle change that would not include vaping.

I smoked off and on from the time I was 15 to about age 42. I am about 70 pounds over weight and I don’t exercise. I occasionally have reflux if I eat a late meal at night or a spicy meal. I occasionally wheeze. I don’t attribute the reflux or wheezing to vaping. I wheezed when I was a smoker and 70 pounds overweight and I had reflux when I was a smoker for the same reasons as I stated above.

14 Likes

Acid reflux isn’t an uncommon thing with vaping. I have it sometimes and I’ve heard other people mention it as well.
The thing is, it’s only certain flavors that are causing this issue for me and you’re quick to identify which ones. Avoid them and hey, no more acid reflux.

With the asthma and wheezing issues… they could be related but also totally unrelated to vaping. They’re serious issues though and well worth a doctors visit.
And remember, like Fidalgo said, vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking… it is not 100% risk free. If you suspect vaping is the cause of any medical condition, I’d say stop vaping immediately and seek some medical attention.

Have you ever tried to stop vaping for a while and see if there are any changes in your symptoms?

7 Likes

I’ve acid reflex for years it comes and goes. But I have noticed rarely it might be a factor…big deal at least I’m not burning up my already abused lungs =[

3 Likes

I have been vaping g off and on from 2009 to 2013. In 2013 I started vaping full time. I had tightness of the chest in the early years from using a white cloud cigalike. Once I switched to a reg mod and clearo tank I have not had any problems.

5 Likes

My husband and I both started vaping here and there in 2014 but smoked still for a long while. Then in 2016 I got sick and stopped vaping all together and stuck with my smoking. My illness was lung and heart related and I was worried that I had caused it with vaping here and there throughout the day but still smoking almost as much as I was before vaping. I got better and continued to smoke. Finally I started vaping again mid / late 2017 but started smoking much much less than before. Then Januarty 15 2018 I finally laid down the cigarettes for good and only vaped. My husband did the exact same thing, but he had no illnesses at all while vaping and smoking at the same time. He quit smoking totally in January 2018 as well. Since quitting we both feel much better. We really haven’t had any issues with our health so far, but I do get headaches and a sore throat with certain brands of PG and VG and there are a few flavors that I avoid because of it as well.
Have you tried giving up your coffee? Coffee can be a HUGE acid producer, especially when it is consumed every single day…

4 Likes

Yep

Uh-huh

Nope

6 Likes

Smoked for over 40 years. At least twice a year I was gifted with severe bouts of bronchitis. In the Fall and again in the Spring…almost like clockwork.
It was during my last bout that I decided to give vaping a try.

That was almost 5 years ago and the bronchitis has never returned. I vape 75VG, don’t wheeze, never had acid reflux…although in all fairness I’ve had Window Pane, Blotter and Orange Sunshine. :sunglasses:

13 Likes

6 Likes

You lucky devil.

6 Likes

Window Pane…what a trip that was!

6 Likes

I had that and discovered it was because of the cup of coffee I had in the morning. Never linked the two because the reflux was at night.
When I got a flue and didn’t drink my usual cup of coffee the problem stopped.

Do get some tablets to suppress that because it will eventually destroy your oesophagus and can turn into cancer.
There are more ways of dying than lung disease.

7 Likes

Thanks all for the replies.

I never considered vaping healthy, although a much healthier substitute for smoking.

I will try and find the article, but I just seemed to hit the spot when it showed an increase in reflux and wheezing to the chest.

As said I’ve vaped for three years, but within the last twelve months got asthma and also suffer from oesophagitis due to acid reflux.

I never gad any issues while smoking, and wondered if it was a side effect of vaping for a few years.

3 Likes

And it came in different colors. I always thought the chocolate window pane was the strongest. Remember Mr. Natural?

%20Natural

4 Likes

I was on prednisone (for years off and on) that’s basically when it started now its very light and manageable =)

2 Likes