New here, feeling a bit discouraged šŸ˜«

Almost my left bum cheek! lol Its TOTALLY an addiction! At the very least, Obsession.

@mjag Youā€™ve got me beat! Iā€™m rapidly edging up to 250ā€¦ still a bazillion more Iā€™m dying for, though. MUST restrain myself!

4 Likes

I really have 0 regrets jumping into the rabbit hole with much gusto and looks like your there too, it is fun. It does get better over time but still your gonna fail more times than you succeed. As the old saying goes, We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success.

We have all been there at one time or another with DIY, just gotta keep at it and most importantly have fun.

7 Likes

lol ā€˜with gustoā€™ describes it perfectly. My only regret is the moola involved, but any ā€˜hobbyā€™ is costly. And this is about the only one I can think of that allows me to rescue friends and family from the eeeeviiiil clutches of Big Tobacco, which I do regularly. I just helped transition my brother to vaping about 3 mos ago, and he was dipping (yeeech!) about 4 cans of tobacco a day. So, reallyā€¦ though I canā€™t afford it, its easy to justify by weighing the cost against health of friends and family members. SO much easier to get someone to start vaping if its a matter of cost of a cheap, good starter kit, instead of also throwing in a hundred $ plus monthly on commercial juice, most of which theyā€™ll likely dislike.

Soā€¦ I mix for people I love. :blush:

Oh, and I forgot one of my very very fave ā€˜canā€™t live withoutā€™ mixes!

Butā€¦ Caveat. I like it about 90% better when you sub VBIC (TPA) for the CAP that the recipe calls for at same %.

When mixed with TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, it tastes like the perfect, creamy, funfetti birthday cake, slathered with Cream Cheese Icing. Sooo good.

5 Likes

Just for a comparison, I spend more on restringing my basses every month then I do on vaping. This hobby is cheap in comparison. :hole:

5 Likes

lmao, @anon28032772 Ok, Iā€™m missing the EXACT same flavors for the Dozen primates obo-yo BONOGURT (clone). What are the chances? Theyā€™re on my next shop list, as well.

@1337fuzz Way to keep after your target profile flavor! So cool that you finally nailed it! Iā€™ve nailed ONE of my absolute goals so far, my ā€˜Krispy Kreme de la Cremeā€™ā€¦ imo, its the perfect Krispy Kreme Glazed Donut flavor. Took ages to get it right, but nowhere near the time you invested in yours. Canā€™t wait to try your yogurt yum!

Perfect milky fruit loops w lemony aspect, perfect fruity blend, perfect Rice Krispy treat are still eluding me. But damnā€¦ it feels amazing when you finally pin down that elusive recipe after youā€™ve been hacking at it for months, with a million revisions. Canā€™t wait to try your mix!

@Letitia @1337fuzz Listening to you guys, Iā€™m VERY grateful I picked up TFA Greek in my last order! Iā€™ve not tried many yogurt blends, but now Iā€™m dying to!

@dannyb784 You mentioned you like the ā€˜coolingā€™ effect in some juices, but actively dislike Koolada in most juices. Me too, totally. Thereā€™s an Additive called ā€˜WS-23ā€™ (WS-23 30%, here on flavor list. Think I picked it up at Nic River) that adds a NICE bit of cool but zero menthol taste, especially to recipes like ice creams etc that are supposed to be cold, also great with fruits. People say start at .25%, but thatā€™s CRAZY cool to my taste. I start with about 3 drops per 30 ml, and go up to taste.

@Dardy I love your ā€˜suicide juiceā€™ bottle idea! But hereā€™s the rubā€¦ what happens if you end up with a knock your socks off, blow your hair back, AMAZEBALLS flavor, and you have no idea how you got there to recreate it?? lol That would haunt me, I swear. Do you keep track of what you dump in the pit, somehow? Aaah, I see. @suomynoma solved that conundrum, a few posts down. ty ty!

@Tracy8 What Vanilla Butternut brand did it for you as a stand alone? That sounds SO good to me, Iā€™ll order asap in next order, just donā€™t know which to get.

6 Likes

Some just look in the rabbit hole.Some will go in but with out a light others take lights and go deeper. Some have taken food and want to see where it goes. Them you have folks like me i take all that and oxygen.
The funny thing is i have only mixed a handful of originals in the 3 years i have have mixed.
The number of mixes out there and all there is to learn from videos and podcasts. Donā€™t really need to experiment ( It is fun though ).
I have 546 different flavors concentrates. My wife says i am a whole ass guy,Nothing half-assed.
Great subject.
I want to add this basic link for new folks. I learned a few things.
https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612

8 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve thought about that one @OddModicum. Also take on board what our friend @anon28032772 said as well. Only problem (for me at least) is that to truly know whatā€™s inside that ā€œsuicide bottleā€ Iā€™d have to note down exact mls of what I dump in there and keep a running tab on flavors and % thereof and so on. My stellar mix might end up with 36 different flavors in it :crazy_face: Nah, I prefer the ā€œKISSā€ principle to be honest. Rather just adjust the nicotine and VG/PG levels of said unknown reject juice and pass on to friends and family.

P.S. Glad to see you highlighted the Ellaā€™s Shortbread Biscuit recipe up above. Iā€™ve ā€œtweakedā€ that particular one a few times and have added my V3 mix into my ā€œkeepersā€. This DIY caper is not as easy as I thought and Iā€™ve only got 9 mixes that I make up on a regular basis. The rest of the time Iā€™m researching, making up testers, tweaking and so on. Iā€™m on a quest for the ā€œholy grailā€ as we all are I suppose. But how much fun do we have in the process eh? Failures are good insofar as they teach me what NOT to do and what I donā€™t like. I love the rabbit hole :heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::partying_face:

7 Likes

@Letitia

5 Likes

It is Flavor West. Bullcity carries it. I still use it some as an ingredient in a couple recipes. It does not taste like squash. More like a soft warm? vanilla.

4 Likes

If you want to sweeten the TFA greek up add a bit of WF mascarpone. Lovely with berries.

5 Likes

Ooh, that sounds good. I donā€™t have the WF Marscapone, but I DO have the Hangsen Italian Cream, which Iā€™m guessing is pretty similar? Iā€™ll check it out.

@Tracy8 In my cart for next order! Iā€™ve become totally enamored of FW lately. They do some flavor profiles REALLY well, esp cakes and vanillas. Desserts in general, really. Thanks for the suggestion.

4 Likes

Not similar, the marscapone is a lightly sweetened cream cheese. HS italian is much richer and rather decadent. I prefer it with FW yogurt or a cheesecake.

6 Likes

Youā€™re welcome. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Wow @dannyb784 what a welcome to the forum, practically everybody gave you an answer, their perspective thoughts and hints!!
My turnā€¦
This happened probably because your experience itā€™s very similar to most of us, start with store bought, spend a lot of money and find out that you donā€™t particularly like any.
When youā€™ll delve deeper into DIY itā€™ll get even worst, you taste them and start saying itā€™s simple, or: Are they actually selling this? Or is this the hype? Itā€™s just full of sucraloseā€¦
Happened to me yesterday again, my wife wanted to taste some tobacco rather then my Latakia mixes and I thought, everybody is talking about this DEA Mexico Tobacco, letā€™s try it, and see (It was about two years I didnā€™t buy a ready made juice) brought home gave it to her and I decided to taste itā€¦ Oh my god ā€¦. another one of thoseā€¦ itā€™s just some RY4/Western with AP and a dash of hazelnutā€¦ Is that all??? Yes it will get worst, because the more experienced you get, the better youā€™ll get, the fussier youā€™ll be!
But donā€™t be discouraged, itā€™s just a just a new hobby and needs study and experience, but, all of a sudden, one day youā€™ll look at a recipe and something happened, youā€™ll start seeing the layers, the accent or why the mixer did this or that or why they used FLV instead of FAā€™s or INW.
Read, search, test and mixā€¦ read search test and mix, and mix, and mix again, did I say mix? Itā€™s the only way, when you start this quest no 5 star recipes will help you get better.
But, as you saw, this great community is ready to give you a hand!
Welcome to ELR Danny!

9 Likes

Welcome @dannyb784, there is not much I can add to what the others have said, except to reiterate that your taste buds are unique, and it only through experimentation that you will arrive at your Nirvana.
Lots of luck.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame what type of juice do you like

3 Likes

And welcome @dannyb784

3 Likes

Thank you! I guess the problem is Iā€™m all over the place :joy: I like desserts, fruits, candy, anything but menthol really and not a big fan of honeydew. Since this post Iā€™ve found a few more that I do like, really liking the yogurts for some reason :thinking: I just find for every 1 I mix that I like thereā€™s 10 that I donā€™t. Just the way it goes I suppose! Now Iā€™m only mixing 5mls at a time so it doesnā€™t sting as much to dump out the rejects lol Iā€™m learning and have tried a few on my own but find Iā€™m better off following otherā€™s recipes for now. Just working my way through the lists and hoping I stumble upon some greatness!

4 Likes

If you want a higher success rate, try https://www.flavorah.com/wp-content/uploads/FLV-Vape-Recipe-Book-1.pdf
Youā€™re welcome :grin:

4 Likes

@dannyb784 do you like lemon meringue pie

2 Likes