New Ipv4 Mod

Hey Guys,
Just got my Ipv4 and I must say that I like it very much, I am having an issue with it in Joule mode.
When I hit the fire button “Short” comes up on the screen. Can anyone comment on this or have
had the same issue. Is there a firmware update that I need…?

What’s the resistance of your build? And you did build it with pure nickel wire, right? :smile:

1 Like

Mine just left Cali so Im real curious to see the answer here??

Well that would do it, I was unaware that I needed to.
I am new to the temp control thing, is there a wire that you would recommend to use.
I normally keep my builds around .4-.6 or so.

You need Ni200 or any pure nickel wire - You’re probably gonna build around 0.15-0.25ohm with nickel, get some thicker wire like 28 or 30 AWG, they’re easier to work with. Some of the other users here are have experience building with nickel wire :slight_smile:

@Jimk, @NewDrip and @MixedUp1 are some with temperature controlled mods IIRC :smile:

3 Likes

So are the engineers and manufacturers of these devices, so don’t feel too alone in your process!

1 Like
3 Likes

Ha…Well that does make me feel a little bit better.
I guess I will be picking up some wire on my way home, I am really glad that it was my fault and not my mod.
Thank you daath and Jimk for getting me squared away.

1 Like

Whewwwww that’s a close one I don’t mind being a test dummy but that would have been disappointing…

I did a single coil build in my Lemo 2 with 26g Ni200, 12 wraps 3mm ID and it came out @ .26 ohm. You may be able to get .4 with a thinner gauge wire with a similar build. The bigger coil, the higher the ohms.

2 Likes

I have no previous experience with this wire so that is what I will do. I have seen the builds that you have done in the past and I must say they are very impressive. Is another type of wire called Nichrome which I am assuming is Nickel chromium.
Is Ni200 the same stuff…?

1 Like

Ni200 is the recommended wire for these type of devices. There is also Ni60 and Ni80 which are Nickel alloys and I’m not sure if they will work for temp control. I need to research more about these two. These devices do work with all types of resistance wire but not in temp control mode.

1 Like

That was my next question, was that the only
I will look into it as well, looks like I will have to order that wire no one in town has it.
Are there any other types of wire I should order while I am at it…?

Ni200 is pure nickel - Ni60, Ni80 and the others are alloys that have less nickel in them (and therefore higher resistance).

4 Likes

Ahhh…That makes sense.
Why does the pure nickel wire matter to the temp control portion.

This doesn’t answer your question but it’s some good info of operating your DNA device.

The way i understand it, the temperature setting is for the desired temperature that you want the coil to sit at, after that its a balancing act between air flow (cooling) and wattage (heating). The board controls the heating and you control the cooling.

The board will hit your temperature just fine due to the pre heat, but if your wattage is too low for your air flow you’ll run cool and not get the vape you were hoping for, if your air flow isn’t high enough though for your power, like the 40w in a KF scenario you’ll get a pretty nasty hot vape that the board will struggle to regulate effectively.

I believe that the way to work this thing is to set your temperature, then increase the wattage in incerments until you reach a point where the temperature regulaation is just kicking in as you vape. After that more power is wasted, and if you want more vaper for the given temperature you need to look for more air so you can give it more power.

Hope this makes sense! This is how I shall set about using mine when i finish building it, hopefully within the next week or so.

2 Likes

It’s only indirectly senses temperature. What really goes on, is that nickel changes resistance in a predictable way, the hotter it gets (this is called the temperature coefficient of resistance) - So there is a little computer in your mod, that senses the resistance changes and calculates the likely temperature.

1 Like

Here’s a written review on this mod; fairly lengthy, but tells it all.

http://wakeandvape.com/blog/ipv4-review-in-hand-finally/

1 Like

Just FYI:
The review I put a link to says there will never be a firmware update for this mod.

I new this would happen!!!

1 Like