New nicotine safety rule could hit vaping hard

Well shit Cut, now I’m getting all fucked up here. So do we have to gather up a bus-o-five year olds, and have them GRIP these bottles, or two finger tests, or what ?

3 Likes

Just don’t transport them across state lines - I hear that could get you in trouble

5 Likes

I figured they would use some kind of pneumatic test jig, that being said would the gripper be the size of the average 5yo hand or two fingers because those would have drastically different outcomes.

3 Likes

That could be taken so wrong out of context.

3 Likes

five year olds shoudn’t be vaping anyway.

4 Likes

If you ask the FDA maybe they will include them in the next Jul epidemic stats

3 Likes

Part of this 510 Report goes through this topic.

3 Likes

It all depends on if - to the FDA- a change of bottles or bottle caps will be considered a new tobacco product and require a PMTA.

The PMTA deadline is 2022 so this may be blown out of proportion because all vapor products will require a PMTA and when that deadline comes any device or e-liquid that isn’t approved by the FDA will be non-compliant anyways, at their prejudice.
It actually seems like they are paving the way for closed pod devices,

I don’t think those bottle’s you guys posted would work either because it has to dispense less than 2ml when “opened” and held upside down. Hard to imagine what a compliant bottle will actually look like.
where is the CPSA protecting children from the bottles of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol which don’t even have child proof caps and any toxic household liquid (bleach, drano etc) that have no absurb flow restriction.

6 Likes

I concur with what you have said about the new bottling requirements BUT this is going to happen sooner than 2022. A federal judge has given the FDA 10 months to be in compliance; I’m assuming that the bottling requirements for nicotine base will soon be mandatory…Be ready to stock up on news that this is a requirement.

3 Likes

It appears that “closed pod devices” (at least those deemed to appear reasonably secure from tots wildly chugging the innards of) are likely specifically exempted from this (CPSC initiated) administrative blitzkrieg:
(B) EXCLUSION. - The term ‘‘liquid nicotine container’’ does not include a sealed, pre-filled, and disposable container of nicotine in a solution or other form in which such container is inserted directly into an electronic cigarette, electronic nicotine delivery system, or other similar product, if the nicotine in the container is inaccessible through customary or reasonably foreseeable handling or use, including reasonably foreseeable ingestion or other contact by children.

§ 1700.15 (Poison prevention packaging standards):
(d) Restricted flow. Special packaging subject to the provisions of this paragraph shall be special packaging from which the flow of liquid is so restricted that not more than 2 milliliters of the contents can be obtained when the inverted, opened container is taken or squeezed once or when the container is otherwise activated once.

Here you will find the March 8, 2019 letter that CPSC sent to industry “stakeholders”.

(According to this law blog post, April 26, 2019), enfarcement by the agency has begun:
Increased CNPPA enforcement has already begun and is expected to increase.

CPSC - Specifically related “guidance” web-page:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Business–Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Liquid-Nicotine-Packaging-Business-Guidance

A bird in the hand (well, kitchen freezer actually) having its advantages, have just stocked-up for a few years time. However, it seems like a “buying panic” would only embolden the potential avarice of (some) vendors ?

3 Likes

Worrying about e-juice flavorings is one thing - but for those who vape for the purposes of ingesting Nicotine itself, the CPSC activities reported on (in my post directly above) may present a more immediate (and much, much easier and more effective to implement) threat (on a nationwide basis). It seems that this method of Nic control has not evaded the thoughts of US Senator Richard Blumenthal (Twitter post on Sept 7, 2019):

CSPC must investigate - & potentially recall & ban - deceptive & deeply dangerous vaping products, such as e-liquids that could contribute to nicotine poisoning. The FDA must crackdown on unsafe devices & flavors, but CSPC cannot shirk its separate duty to stop dangers & deaths.

2 Likes

Yet I said all this too… open ended systems selling now… will be few and far between.
Closed systems… removing nic from regular commoners… yeah Smoky has no idea what she is talking about. 2022… and those that don’t listen are going to be soo screwed.

hope everyone is ready for the changes.

2 Likes

Ok, but what about getting the nicotine back out of the 5 year old? Is the 5-year old now a non-approved container, or do I have to grab another 5 year old and have him squeeze the first one? So confused!

2 Likes

huh, what?? you want to squeeze 5 year old kids now? :cry:

1 Like

2 Likes