New to diy, and feeling frustrated

Not sure on 50/50, I’ve never mixed at that ratio but maybe you need a longer steep (with custard). Were you vaping Commercial juice before DIY? If so was it 50/50 pg vg

7 Likes

Yes and yes I was on commercial juice back and forth from my rda and mtl devices, but quite familiar with 50/50 mixes

Also steep time…. I hate steep time lol if you could help clear something up, yes bakery and custards family need quite a bit of time but won’t most Fruit flavours be vapable after 24-48 hours? Not to it’s fullest potential but vapable?

4 Likes

First off from the recipe you posted you are under flavored for a 16 watt pod system. Make 10-15ml tests bumping up the flavor by two percent for each test. Keep your recipes simple. No more than 3 to 4 flavors. You won’t get complex taste thru the pod so don’t waste the flavor. Stick to simple fruit recipes. Most simple fruit or candy recipes will be shake & vape. By doing what I recommend you can adjust flavor customized to your pallet.
It will also be over flavored for your RDA.

8 Likes

100pct agreed

Also keep in mind @New_B your bot going to achive a Custard dominant tecipe in the pod , you ate essentially burying those fruits…Even in an RDA that recipe is heavy in Cream / custard flaves …

Push those SB flaves …
Ripe at 6 pct
Sweet SB @ 8 pct
Super Sweet @ .5 to 1pct
Custard at 1

You can even Take that kiwi double and mix it with the Strawberry add sweet and menthol

Oh and add the Raspberry to the Strawberry mix at like 2 to 3 pct that will really push those SB and give you a Red Flavor

10 Likes

Awesome guys!! Thanks for the help, gonna park for the night soon and have some mixing to do! Learned a lot so I appreciate everyone’s input and advice

11 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.
This works for me:
I find that if I do 30 or so small 3 (singles)-5 ml different recipe mixes along with a few (ADV mixes) 30 up to 120 ml. mixes, I find it impossible to even approach, let alone vape the steeping previous mix no sooner than 1 month and more often 2-3 months.
Advantages for me:

1. Nearly always have a new or ADV mix to look forward too.
  2. More apt to rate the mix more fairly because I number my mix rather than name it on the label (I forgot the hype and why I mixed it in the first place).
  3. No worries about a mix going bad. If it’s a shake a vape, the mix is not for me.
  4. When I do approach running out of first time mixes, I always have plenty of ADV mixes on hand to vape with. Running low signals time to “get off the couch” to do another batch of mixes.
8 Likes

I work a lot with pods and vape pens for my wife and my son, on those devices, if you use fruits and things like that nothing below 15% will work, maybe with some Super concentrates pushed high, no chance with straight Flavours like FA/CAP/TPA, you have to push them e.g. @fidalgo_vapes mix looks perfect for a POD, that’s the way of looking at them!

Search on the calculator side the word POD and also look at 2015/2016 recipes.

The other way a POD shines is menthol/WS23 and sucralose, with a simple fruit layer, too many gimmicks and the PODs will only give you one maybe two notes back to your vape.
So stick to one head note and maybe a body to pair it with, but that’s it! Accents and things like that will never come through, don’t worry if you see recipes from 17 to 25% flavouring it’s just the way they work.
Keep your PG high, VG at 60% is their limit, and it would anyway take ages to steep properly so 50 or 60PG (I also used 70PG) is not unusual neither.
Use milk/meringue/marshmallow for the smoothness custards have to be on the high side and won’t work for less then a month, but by that time you’d have lost any high volatile fruits e.g.: SB or citruses.
Little note, on your stash, change that Cappellas Sugar Cookie, is wrong, the right one is easy to find it’s probably got the most used recipes in the whole DB, check if you’ve got V1 or V2, this will also improve the “What can I make” search.

Flavor: Sugar Cookie v1 (Cap) :: e-Liquid Calculator (e-liquid-recipes.com)

Flavor: Sugar Cookie v2 (Cap) :: e-Liquid Calculator (e-liquid-recipes.com)

BTW Welcome to ELR!!!

14 Likes

Thanks! This is making a lot more sense now, I mixed up some strawberry with raspberry at the higher % like @fidalgo_vapes said and knowing that my head won’t explode if I go higher than 15% is great. Being new I consumed a lot of “tips and guidelines” for the masses which would be mixing for tanks/rdas. Also search for POD, what a gold nugget!! Seems like most recipes are like 50 frickin ingredients lol

10 Likes

@New_B first things first, welcome to ELR.

Secondly, @Iv3shf KNOWS his MTL (Mouth To Lung), and pods.

8 Likes

@New_B, @Iv3shf for the win, again…

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=pod&missing=0&recipesonly=0&adaptedfrom=&sort=score&direction=desc

9 Likes

And that, IMHO is a huge mistake especially for Low Power Devices, some of them now use mesh coils and have improved a bit but still, thousands of flavours won’t just work, all you’ll get is one or two notes, as said earlier, layering and/or using premade complex concentrates, Honey roasted Peanuts, CAP Strawbberries and cream, Eucaliptus and mint, and so on, is a good strategy to get the most with less ingredients.
KISS on PODs is the rule! (that’s a gd 1. :rofl:)

10 Likes

@New_B First, I want to welcome you to the community. I’m not a MTL person anymore and when I was, I used strictly commercial juice with some working for me and some not. Looks like you’ve gotten some good advice, especially about keeping it simple and upping the percentages a bit at time to find your sweet spot. When I started DIY’ing, I really appreciated the advice and suggestions I got from folks here cuz I was flying blind at the beginning. After DIY’ing for a year, I am now only flying partially blind and continue to learn from more experienced folks on this forum. Keep at it, be patient and remember you are learning a new skill. The good news is that mixing is fun, even if there are some bumps in the road. I’ve mixed some horrible tasting juice (luckily only mixed 10ml for new recipes) and try to remember that when I mix a rotten tasting juice, I’ve learned something. I’ve learned what I don’t like and that is as important as learning what works for me.

11 Likes

I’ve seen this sort of standardized response before on the forum. MTL atomizers are as varied in design as RL and DL atomizers as are Pod devices and the answer is just as complex. I’m not a pod user so I can’t speak from personal experience but I’ve been a hybrid vaper all along using 30/70 blends across the board with identical flavor percentages. Is there a difference? Yes, typically an MTL atty will intensify the top notes and DL pronounces the midrange and bottom. But there’s variations on that especially when using the European style “tall boys” which can be either MTL or DL such as with the Brunhilde and Dvarw FL. I’ve used Kayfuns lower than 16w and found no need to adjust flavors just to accommodate the tank. The tank is designed for flavor at lower wattage. That’s why it’s called an MTL and typically known for producing intense flavor. Most of my adjustments are in the blend for when I vape tobaccos because I prefer more throat hit. 40/60 suffices but I can see where a newly reformed smoker might like 50/50. But as for adding more flavor pct for my MTLs, that has not been my personal experience and defeats the purpose. Has it been your experience? I’m curious.

9 Likes

The OP isnt talk8ng about MTL tanks like Brunhilde or the Kayfuns …The OP is talking a bout low wattage pod systems that in my experiance do need to pump up the flavor pcts or keep the recipes simple , your not ginna get different layers in a recipes with a pod unless they are contrasting and definetely not over done with creams.

When I talk about pumping up the pcts Im not saying to take an existing recipe and just raising pcts …Usually the recipe is made based on how the person Vapes. I mean start new and develop a recipe based on said pod but raise the pcts , keep the recipes simple , add sweetener etc.

8 Likes

@New_B Hi newb and welcome to ELR. Looking at your Strawberry Custard my first move would be eliminating one of the creams, either the custard or fresh cream. One should suffice and eliminates the possibility of muting. I’m not a Pod user so I can’t advise on your pcts but I think you already got feedback on that.

You’re on the right track just have patience. DIY doesn’t happen overnight. I threw in the towel my first several months only to return with the willingness and determination to do the work. We have excellent teachers here willing to help. Hang in there, it’ll happen :yum:

7 Likes

Oh okay, that’s what it sounded like to me when you and rcleven were talking. Turn on grammar check :rofl:

Dang, wish I could afford a personal mixer!

On said Pod? You mean to tell me you’re familiar with all the pods out there? I knew you were good but I didn’t know you were a genius! Seriously, what do you really mean by that? I’m honestly asking because I don’t do pods. And there’s that “but raise the pcts” again. What is it about these said pods that forces you to mix by design and raise the median pcts? And on that note, I’m happy I don’t use pods.

4 Likes

Well theres The Novo , Caliburns , Xros type pods then you got The Smok Rpm40 and 80 which are more AIOs but people call them pods …So develope the recipe based on what ur using …I mix for apprx 25 people and they all vape different tanks , pods etc i have to develope the recipes based on what they use

6 Likes

Oh for chrissakes, you have the patience of a saint.

5 Likes

No …I am so over it , I just feel bad letting them fend for themselves , I get a nrw recipe 80pct done and then i have to mix for someone else so they dont get finished lol ( cry me a river )

6 Likes

Lol, fiddy. How about teaching them to fend for themselves? Then your hands will be free. You’re such a gent. That’s why we love you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes