New to diy, base flavors that are a must have?

Hello, I am tired of companies discontinuing my flavor so I have decided to buy a kit and try mixing my own. My favorite flavors were toasted marshmallow from one company and then vanilla tobacco from another. But since they are a mix of flavors I am not sure what to buy. For one kit, I can choose over 15 different flavor drops. Are their any must have flavors? Any base flavors? Any flavor recommendations based on my two favorite listed above? Thank you in advance. I appreciate you taking the time to read hopefully respond. Regards. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Torch welcome to DIY. I think to know what base flavors you need, you have to know what flavors you really like. For example. Are you into bakery vapes or fruit vapes, or menthol vapes… that will really help lock down what you’d need to start.

Let me give you another example. I’m a huge bakery lover. So if I started out, I’d want creams, cookies, pancakes, butter, custards etc. Does that help? Seriously let me know what your favorite profile is and I can give you my favorites, which may not be your favorites but it’s a start.

Something else I think that really helps when you’re new. Look at some of the recipes on the calculator and decide what you’d like to mix. I think you get a lot of ideas that way and have a better understanding of what flavors you might want to start off with.

All my best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, Thank you for the response. I like toasted marshmallow but I liked it from one company and not the other 10 I tried. I also liked vanilla tobacco. When I look at recipes, they tend to have several flavors. I was thinking of getting a few different vanillas, marshmallow, nutty, milk/cream…bakery as you say. I have a sub om and like a little throat hit but not too much. Again, thank you. I appreciate you responding.

4 Likes

I know very little about tobacco so I hope someone else steps in that can help you there. My favorite Vanilla is Madagascar Vanilla (FA) As far as Marshmallow I’ve used FA and TPA both and don’t see a big difference in the two. For the nuts again I’ve stayed pretty much with FA Nut Mix, Walnut, Almond but I love Butter Pecan by CAP I use Vanilla Custard by Cap, Sweet Cream by Flavorah and Fresh Cream by FlavourArt and OOO Creamy Milky Undertone, Sugar cookie V2 by Cap is always used a LOT. I really hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @torch100 welcome to the forum. This is a highly valued recipe and I love it. You can try, and if you don’t like it, adjust. The process of making the juice itself is long, but very fun. If you like tobacco I suggest you visit the NET section, great surprises await there.

6 Likes

Can you please tell me, FA=?

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion.

4 Likes

Flavor Apprentice?

3 Likes

FA = Flavour Art
Here you can find the abbreviations and other resources
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/resources

6 Likes
7 Likes

@torch100 welcome a board this Fantastic forum and with all these experienced mixers you’re in the right place

6 Likes

It is hard to say what they use without trying the flavors. The Flavor Apprentice (TPA or TFA) makes a Toasted Marshmallow flavor. Liquid Barn (LB) makes a Vanilla Tobacco. You might try purchasing both of those as a start, bullcityflavors.com I believe has both flavors. The Vanilla Tobacco doesn’t have a lot of tobacco in it, if the flavor you vape does have a lot of tobacco then it might not be right. TFA Toasted Marshmallow I have never used as a standalone, just as an additive.

If you can be more descriptive on all the flavors you taste in these juices we can help you out better.

5 Likes

Replies from the experienced mixers are as good as gold. The more you learn about the site, the more their suggestions will make sense.
Some of their advice you’ll want to ignore, you might think, “oh heck I don’t need to get THAT fancy”, but in the end you’ll discover they were right, and that’s why they have a bunch of recipes that are delicious and you’re maybe still struggling.
As a newbie myself (8 months in), I can remember my heated passion that had no direction, perhaps better than the old timers. Every corner I turned was another flavor profile I was going to make and it was going to be the BEST! I couldn’t wait to order more flavors with my next paycheck! My first flavor order I got with my kit (liquid barn), I mixed it all Willy Nilly in about 3 days. That’s a don’t. I think you’re smarter than that.
Some of the advice they give you that you’ll try to ignore and shouldn’t are the following.
-Take notes. Can’t have too many notes. Organize your notes. If you’re wondering if you should note something, you should.
-single flavor testing. Make 5 or 10 ml versions of the flavor alone, so you know what THAT FLAVOR tastes like. To know what percentage to mix as a single flavor, read the notes thst others have left about the flavors.

• Read notes from others. Yeah, so if you click on a flavor in yours or anyone’s flavor stash, it will take you to a page dedicated to that flavor, and if you scroll down you’ll see “notes”. This will tell you not only what percentage to use for single flavor testing (SFT), but also some particulars on how the flavor plays with others, recommended flavors it mixes well with.
    -Learn the abbreviations. At first you might feel like you’ve wandered into a “secret society” with its own language, and that’s because, well, you have. Learn them!
    -Learn the DLR site. It’s pretty complicated, but every feature is amazing once you learn how to use them.
    -go to the “flavor stash help” page. Every flavor, when you go to add it to your flavor stash, will have several choices on how you enter the flavor name. Listen careful now. So if you go to lets say, caramel cream, and start to enter it into your flavor stash, suggested flavors will show up underneath in a pop up. You’ll see “caramel cream”, “caramel creme”, “caramel crime”, “creamy caramel” maybe even “car…crm Styx”.
    There are lots of incorrect submissions in the community flavor stash, and it is very frustrating for the admin, because so many other features rely on those flavors to be in the system in a manner that we all agree. The proper way to enter a flavor is with the flavor name that is on the bottle itself, followed by the correct abbreviation of the manufacturer in parenthesis, like this:
    Hazelnut (FA)
    When you get it close, you’ll see all the incorrect entire listed with the correct one, and the way to determine the correct one usually, is you’ll notice that caramel cremb only shows one entry and caramel cream shows 11,216. Chances are, the high number is correct.
    -Tpa and tfa are the same company. Just get that out of the way right now.
    -get a scale, maybe not now but soon.
    Order more bottles.
    -but my best advice is to focus first on getting two or three flavors that you can vape all day, and then you can relax and get fancy later. The best way to do that is to find recipes with good ratings that are current and sound like the flavors you enjoy. THEN order those flavor concentrates to make it.
    I’d be looking at Capella sugar cookie, Capella vanilla bean ice cream (VBIC), TFA strawberry ripe, someone’s vanilla custard, Inawera biscuit, cereal 27 (cap), and then get some advice from the “Flavorah heads” as to what ones of those to get.

8 Likes

Thanks Gus I had to give up the computer for the kids … Very sorry FA Flavour Art TFA/TPA The Flavors Apprentice

5 Likes

I think you mix Capella Sugar cookie with anything and it turns out great LOL … okay maybe not ANYTHING but it really is a fantastic flavor, that and Vanilla Custard if I get close to running out I will run out of the house screaming (actually I’ll just order more but you get the meaning)

8 Likes

Here is a basic tobacco that you can add just about anything to change it to your liking, or just to change it up some.

Western (Cowboy) - The Flavor/Perfumer’s Apprentice

Welcome @torch100 :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Smooth Vanilla (Flavorah)

6 Likes

Is the vanilla tobacco you like really creamy and rich? It will really help us to help you if you tell us what you taste when you vape the juices you like, not just what they say they are.

I’ve tried alot of marshmallow flavors, FA is kinda like a dry marshmallow a little, TFA is mediocre as a base marshmallow but great in mixes as a sweetener, I think purilum marshmallow is the closest to tasting like the kind of mallow you would roast over a fire.

as far as the toasted note goes tfa toasted marshmallow is really good but I can’t vape it, for some reason it irritates my throat:( Any marshmallow will need a little help, OOO powdered sugar and INW shisha vanilla work well at low % to help make it more authentic, FA meringue too.

8 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to view:

As for Marshmallow, could look at:

6 Likes

TPA - Vanilla Swirl, Toasted marshmallow, Bavarian Cream, Banana bread, Marshmallow, Vanilla bean ice cream.

Flavorah - Red Burley, Cured Tobacco, Virginia Blend, Kentucky blend, Native tobacco.

Capella - Super Sweet

4 Likes