Newbie confusion about nicotine PG nicotine VG

Im new here and to DIY mixing. I havent mixed yet and am currently shopping for supplies.

Has there been any settling down of what is most commonly used, all things considered? Do people prefer n-VG or n-PG? I understand the difference, that VG will be harder to shake and mix but is that the reason not to use it? Both need shaking and both will deteriorate the nicotine with air, heat and light so what is the main reason to use one or the other? Does it relate to the target of having PG or VG majority in the final product, or does it not matter which is used if the concentration of nicotine is low anyway? Im going for a higher concentration of nicotine at the beginning and hope to keep the mixing sessions as non-troublesome as possible.With a higher level of nicotine at the beginning it obviously means there will be more of it in the bottle as a percentage of the mixture and if I am already comfortable with higher VG levels to reduce coughing ( as a vaping newbie im coughing a storm on 90VG/10PG) does it mean I need to stay on n-VG even if its harder to mix and even if popularly its been traded for n-PG? OR, am I supposed to be re-training myself to use n-PG because thats what works in the long run or how the market has settled?

Im going to be leaving the country with a supply or either n-PG or n-VG and I wont be able to replace the supplies if I bet wrong so im trying to get things as right as possible.

I regret if this is seen as a stupid question. Im new and not trying to be stupid.

8 Likes

I use VG based 100mg/ml nicotine for a couple of reasons. First it is just easier to work with. Nicotine is very dangerous at that level and the thicker base is just easier to handle. Secondly with a VG based nic I can get a higher “Max VG” than with PG based nic. Hope this helps, and good luck.

9 Likes

Thats a good answer, thanks. And did you mean that with PG the nic mixture will pour too fast and increase the possibility of messy spills?

And by the way, when nic is expressed as “based” does it automatically mean its 100% PG or VG base? On an adjacent tab I have the Nicotine River page up and see they offer either/or or 50/50.

3 Likes

In regards to your questions @cvco we can help you :slight_smile:

When people say “based” it means what the nicotine is mixed with to dilute its strength.

So! It can be for example on our website we offer:

VG Based Nicotine 100mg
PG Based Nicotine 100mg
and 50/50 Based Nicotine.

Think of the base as the contents that fill up the rest of the bottle that isn’t nicotine. Without these contents the nicotine will not be diluted to the strength you prefer. More people prefer VG nicotine due to the fact that people enjoy high VG levels. VG is ultimately more difficult to work with due to its viscosity. PG is much thinner and more water like. It really is all preference unless you’re going to do max VG for your ejuice in which then you’d obviously use VG nicotine.

Let me know if you have other questions!

10 Likes

Everyone has their own reasons for why they use what they do. For me, I use 48mg pg nic. I like that it’s easier to shake up and I use a lower strength because it makes me more comfortable and is more forgiving if you use an extra drop or two on accident. I mix at 80/20 vg/pg and only 2mg so it’s not a big deal to have the nic be pg based. I usually have to add more pg anyway. As far as quality goes, the jury is still out on that one. I’ve seen just as many people argue that vg nic is better as I’ve heard people say pg nic is better. And if you can’t make up your mind, do 50/50. Best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Not stupid at all , great question when i started i got pg then i got vg and i ended up not likeing that i had to add so much pg to my mixes when using the vg and its a pain imo to draw through a syringe plus imo if you dont shake it up enough you could get hot spots so i mixed my vg with the pg to get 50/50 and it works great for me but when i buy again since i do 70/30 to 80/20 vg/pg ill get 100mg pg base this way i get most my pg from the flavors and nicotine base which allows me to hardly ever need to purchase pg all a personal preference

10 Likes

I can’t get over how great this forum is haha! @cvco fidalgo and vapey are pros with DIY mixing and will be able to relate to you better than we can. I’m going to let them take it from here!

If you have any questions about our products or company feel free to reach us back here with an @ :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Edited: Not worthy of an answer.

6 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

Answers are very appreciated and yes im overwhelmed.

It might be helpful to read my intro in the Pub so you see where im coming from but I tried to answer my questions through research and listening a lot. I only asked in here as a last resort to minimally waste peoples time.

As to my question, here is the type of answer I was looking for:
“Hi CVCO, ok about 5 years when we were getting started we used PG based nicotine because the cost was low, there werent many choices in the market and frankly we didnt know any better. (now comes a fork in the road)–But since then there have been lots of developments and for a variety of reasons most of us are on VG based nicotine now. (OR)—Even though the vape world is evolving, turns out that the original choice of PG base was correct and most of us are on that still. If you only have one choice, and even though you are welcome to experiment anyway you please, we recommend you use PG-based nicotine because thats most likely where you are going to end up anyway. Also, since most of us are on PG-base, it would therefore be easier for us to help you with mixing problems because we could remove that part from the equation. I hope this answer helps you and others. Let us know if its still not answered.”

I got here via a Youtube video by New Amsterdam Vape called “Complete Beginner’s Guide To Making E-Liquid - DIY Tutorial.” In that vid he uses this websites calculator and I clicked a link. I would appreciate anyone with a few minutes to review his vid because thats the knowledge I came here with and therefore the basis of my questions. If he is wrong I need to know. He explains the merits of PG or VG based nicotine but it didnt resolve anything.

Referring to my Intro, Im from California and live in Malaysia where I cannot get nicotine because the mixing folks who sell e-liquid choose to hold it a secret so that a user is forced to buy their final product at high prices. Nobody in Malaysia will help me mix or learn how. Typical Asia. In April im going back home for 2 weeks and can buy supplies like nicotine and flavors from Nicotine River and bring them back. Since I wont have access for quite a while to more supplies to experiment with, I have to get whatever is considered my best shot and live with it.

NOW what you advise? You might say to bring some of both but Id rather have the most I can of what im supposed to be using so that my mixes can last the maximum time, not that either VG or PG get thrown away and wasted.

Have i not been clear? Im brand new and stating things the best I can.

1 Like

Ok, in this post you say to not use 100% VG Nic, to add some plain VG. How is that figured into the calculator on this site? Is that what is meant by “water, vodka” additive? And, why is important to do?

1 Like

I think the problem you are having is there is no “right” answer. What is right for me might not be wright @Skullblade789 or @VapeyMama. If your looking for an absolute answer to which is better I’m not sure that can be given. You may go with VG based nicotine and find out that it’s a huge hassle, or the same with PG based. Unfortunately until you actually do some mixing you wont know which you prefer. The good news is that no mater what you choose you will be off the cigarettes and that is what is most important.

3 Likes

So let me get this straight. You are griping about the fucking answers given to you and now you want more fucking help.

Well guess what, I will wish you luck on your journey. The people that have answered you took the time out of their day to fucking answer your questions. Quite well might I add. Basically you just shit on their answers.

I am done helping you, you ungrateful person.

6 Likes

Thanks for that. Ok in the end its preference, trail and error. Ok.

Im glad you brought up quitting because ratios and elements aside thats the main thing and why im here at all. Vaping isnt a hobby for me, its meant to help quit. I started vaping almost 3 years ago but I still smoke. My setup is old now, e-Go V Vs and clearomizers. What I got from vaping is choking and coughing and that caused me to continue to smoke in which I had none of those effects. People advised upping VG content and on 90/10 and even 100/0 I still choked and coughed. I tried to stick with it and get through the coughing but it just didnt work. You could say that the true basis of my Nic questions is “which is going to cause the least coughing?” Im amazed when i see people getting along with vaping so well, for me its only multipled the headaches instead of easing them so im trying to learn a better way and make vaping be effective for quitting.

There was a comment on a YT video by someone who was in the same predicament and the same setups. For him anyway, what finally worked was 24mg Nic and sub-ohming (I dont understand sub-ohm, what is it?). I figured if that was going to be my future too, nicotine would not be 1-3% of the mixture like many of you but according to the calculator, about 27% of the mixture and if a substantial part of the mixture was the very thing helping to promote choking and coughing, then I need to choose right.

1 Like

Sorry you see it that way, ive been thankful for help, im new, i dont know anything and im trying to quit smoking. Thats it. No bad intentions from me. I certainly didnt come to fight or insult or be insulted but we got off on the wrong foot or something so i’ll quit the forum. I need to quit smoking so i’ll keep looking for vaping advice.

Big thanks to everyone who tried. It wasnt for nothing, believe it.

1 Like

Just show respect like above. We always try to help.

3 Likes

Welcome to the site @cvco its a great place to learn how to DIY and everyone here is VERY helpful. I recently switched from PG to VG based nicotine and like it very much. I also switched Nicotine companies too. I was using Wizard Labs PG nicotine for the last year and a half but a lot of my mixes were turning out to be harsh. Switching to Nicotine River’s VG based nic seems to have cured the harshness for my mixes. I personally like the VG based nic for all the same reasons @Duneatick stated. it is a lot easier to work with and for max VG it is the best IMHO. I would also like to say to @Nicotine_River: you Nicotine is great. No peppery taste and no harsh undertones to any mix I have made with it thus far. Bravo.

3 Likes

One more reason to obtain 100mg+VG nic. Some folks, over time, can develop a mild (in some cases sever) intolerance to PG or VG, however, it is more common for this intolerance to occur with PG. If you ever have to vape near 100% VG, its best to have the VG nic.

2 Likes

Well it just seems to me if you are just starting out and trying to quit smoking, you need to keep things more simple. Don’t start out by mixing! Start out by vaping instead of smoking. Find a device and a store bought ejuice that you enjoy enough to replace cigarettes.
I started at South Beach Smoke with a tobacco flavored ejuice.
My goodness… you are trying to learn too much about it before you even are satisfied and settled. Find a good vape store with people who will help you. I’ve found that there’s too much info on the internet sometimes. For example, i’ll have to read through pages and pages just to find an answer to something simple.
I will try to help you personally if you message me and call me on the phone. For now, I’ll say once. I do wish you well. As for pg vg nicotine… I didn’t even know you could or would ever want to get it based in vg. Wow . Why debate everything? Flavors are based in pg too. If you are a person who must avoid pg altogether, perhaps there are sites for similar vapors who are ? allergic to pg. I haven’t seen much info on that here at ELR.

2 Likes