Newbie confusion about nicotine PG nicotine VG

you stated earlier on the welcome page that you cannot vape at all because you cough and then gave a slew of reasons/excuses as to why you just cannot vape and decided to return to smoking. wanted to delete you account etc… so with this info to us all, why do you even care about mixing if you can’t use it?

3 Likes

New to DIY and I’ve been gripling with the same question, about nic / pg / vg etc. Glad I didn’t ask the question on this forum, just reading as much as I can for now. Most users seem to be very helpful. Nuff said

4 Likes

@Rocky02852 the PG vs. VG NIC thing is up to the individual and their mixing style, etc. I started out trying to use VG NIC, but quickly grew tired of the difficulty really getting it thoroughly shaken up before each mixing session. Hot Spots i.e. not completely mixed NIC CAN be a real problem. You can end up with much lower OR much HIGHER NIC than you expect.

I rapidly gave up on the VG NIC, and switched to 100mg PG NIC and have not been happier with that decision. The fact is, even if you want to keep your final mixes as low as possible regarding PG, if you use 100mg NIC, the amount of PG in your mix will still be very small, AND, it’s much safer to mix with, IMO. You still have to shake up your NIC before mixing, even with 100% PG NIC, BUT, it’s much, much easier to do, and hence, much safer.

Most of the seasoned mixers keep their NIC in the freezer. This WILL further complicate using 100% VG NIC, as it will be even thicker, and harder to fully mix before using, whereas 100% PG NIC takes far less effort.

I briefly considered using a 50/50 PG/VG NIC mix, but THAT actually was causing other issues for me, trying to reach certain VG % in my final mixes. For example, making a 3mg final mix when attempting to hit a 80V/20P final ratio is still very achievable even using 100% PG NIC.

Regardless if you like, or dislike PG in general, even using 100% PG NIC leaves very little total PG in your final mix, so if you are trying to get “Max VG” you can still get pretty damned close, AND, have a much easier, and safer mixing overall.

I understand where @Skullblade789 was coming from above, and although different words could have been chosen, when people ask questions, and they are answered in full, and then things get re-hashed, it can be frustruating for those taking the time (as mentioned above), and trying ot help out.

2 Likes

I’ve been a “DIY’er” all my life, (but newbie to mixing), so I understand the right way to do something is “my way”
Thats why I’ve been researching alot to make my own informed decisions.
As far as pg vs vg goes I’d say I agree with you, I started with LB vape ready 3mg 20/80, at the end of the first 500ml bottle I did get nic hot spots. I think its just to thick to shake.

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer
And thanks for taking the time out of Your day to explain what works best for You!

3 Likes

No problem @Rocky02852. Thankfully I’m not PG sensitive, and that I could easily shift over to the easy to use, easy to mix, easy to calc PG NIC. Just as an FYI some of us recently started looking around for some NIC to stock up on with the current state of affairs in the vaping/DIY’ing world, and placed some test orders from Liquid Nicotine Warehouse.

I’ve been a long standing Nude NIC only purchaser, but after my test order, I was more than impressed, and just placed a big (gallon) order along with some PG/VG as well.

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer Thanks for the heads up about Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers And will check out that feed on the forum when I get home.
I had already ordered a liter of 100mg pg from River Supply before I read this, my all day vape for 3 years was 30p / 70v so I’d say I have no problem with pg
Yea I probably may pick up even some more due to the way things seem to be heading here in the States

4 Likes

Yeah @Rocky02852 perhaps I was a bit late for the tip hehe. Good job on stocking up. If you have any mid-long term storage questions, just shout out, and we’ll take care of you.

4 Likes

STILL can’t get over how clean, clear, and odorless this stuff is.

4 Likes

I like VG nic because most of the mixes I made are Max VG and I don’t have to add as much PG to my mix. I also have a press in adapter on nicotine (transferred to another bottle) to make sure I have less chance of spillage when mixing. In the end its all based on what you like to mix with. I wish nothing but success in your journey with mixing!

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer Yea I’d like to stock up even more before the shi* hits the fan, I vape ALOT. Looks like freezing it is the way to go. Honestly haven’t researched that much, freezing sounds sensible to me. Your thoughts?

4 Likes

@Rocky02852 That’s the only way I roll. I buy large quantities to keep costs down, and heat, light, and oxygen are the enemies. Limiting all three is the way to succeed. Amber glass bottles, in the freezer (topped with Argon to prevent oxygen from reacting with the NIC) is the best way to store NIC.

There are mentions that NIC when frozen/thawed has some negative effects associated with it, BUT, that can be easily overcome by breaking down large quantities into smaller bottles. The main hoard stays frosty and unopened, with only one small bottle being opened, and used until depleted, then the next small bottle is used, etc.

Plastic is NOT a good long term storage solution, and many (including my current favorite) ship NIC in plastic, so the first thing I do, is break shipments down into cleaned bottles with good caps. I leave 3/4" air gap on the tops, squirt some Argon gas on top, seal up. Label, date code, and put into the deep freeze.

3 Likes

@authormichellehughes I actually had ordered some 3mg vg base, 500ml X2, but haven’t used it yet, thought it would be easier, I’ve heard you talk about press in adapter, curious about that

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer. Good info there, I was actually looking at some glass bottles on amazon, I had the same thoughts. Never thought about the argon, good tip got plenty of that at work.
What’s your thoughts on NIC quality from one vendor vs another?

3 Likes

Hehe that’s a TRIGGER for me lol. I recently switched vendors from one I had been using for years, but now I’m on with LNW. I can tell you I am VERY picky on my NIC. I never let price dictate what I use for NIC, PG, or VG. If it tastes bad, spoils quick, but it’s cheaper, what’s the point ?

Nude NIC was my sole provider for quite some time, and I never had any issues with any of their product. Titrated, and never had an issue with strength, clarity, or taste. I recently was turned onto LNW, tested some and was VERY happy with the product. So much that I have gallons coming now.

To answer your question, quality can vary WILDLY from vendor to vendor. Some just resell, break down, etc., others are much further back in the chain, and buy it pure (1000mg), keep cryo frozen on gas before diluting and selling it. Those are the vendors I choose to use, as the product typically stays and starts off much fresher before shipping.

If you are planning on getting more than a little, do not concern yourself with cheap or cheaper, but focus on quality. If there were no talks of banning anything, who’d care. You could screw up, buy some more, etc., but, if there’s a possibility that things might become harder to come by, stocking up on quality product, and storing it as perfectly as you can, should be the game plan.

I can’t tell you how many vape shops I went into (when I did that) and I saw their NIC just sitting out. Bottles open, not frozen, no care taken, and the NIC was peppery, and damn near ruined juices. I’m not saying mix inside a freezer LOL, but protecting your hoard is always smart.

4 Likes

I love mine, just got it last week and it really makes life easier for me since I’m a klutz LOL

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer Yea, that’s pretty much the response I expected from you, just thought I’d throw it out there. Honestly never heard of Nude Nic, (just googled it) I have previously looked into LNW, they were the same $ as River supply, so I went with River. That being said and based on Your honest / experienced opinion I’d say it’s time to stock up.
Thanks brother

3 Likes

@authormichellehughes Thats awesome, I’m for anything that makes life easier :sunglasses: gonna have to get me one!

4 Likes

People can change. I have. If I recall right, the poster said some real nasty stuff to some of the people trying to help the user on another thread. It got under my skin at the time, but now do not care. That was 3 years ago.

5 Likes

Also look at Nicotine River. They have inmho the best nic, VG, and PG. Decent prices for a gallon of the VG/PG. It is what I use. Two things of advice for yeah, one do not get rid of store bought mixes and two taste is subjective. For the one thing, your first mix may not come out how you want it. The second thing find your flavor profile and work from there. A third thing, some flavor companies make an okay single flavor, but mixed with another flavor company it could be your bag. Look at Stones and you might find something nice. Best of luck on your journey.

4 Likes