Nicotine River - Updates

Thank you guys for all of your feedback! I have been trying to think about what is ultimately the easiest way to streamline this whole kit. My greatest fear is it being overwhelming. Every kit I have checked out has 48mg nicotine as a up sell - Why do you think that 48mg is all that is offered? Is there also any value in offering a premixed 4mg, 7mg, 13mg, knowing that with a 20% - 25% flavoring in whatever recipe they make it will bring it down to a 3mg, 6mg, 12mg? Let me know if that makes sense?

Thank you!

2 Likes

@Nicotine_River

I think overwhelming is better. All of the kits I have seen are so bland.
I have never bought/used one. I had everything to begin DIY e-juice [except the nicotine and a lot of the flavoring] because I have made herbal tinctures/beard oils/perfumes etc. and have also been baking for decades. I even had the lab equipment, scales, magnetic mixers from my profession.
If I had been forced to by a bland DIY kit to start, I would have been frustrated by the ones I have seen offered. I believe having good tools to start with makes for a much better experience, higher quality product, and more excitement.

[ Why do you think that 48mg is all that is offered?]

I think it is a safety precaution for new handlers of nicotine liquid. Personally, I like 48mg nic, and the best I have ever used is yours in VG @Nicotine_River …in any strength.

3 Likes

I also think you should offer a non-nicotine option. By the time I started mixing, I had already worked down to 0 nic. So I wouldn’t buy the kits because I wouldn’t pay the extra for nic when it was a waste. So the gloves, nic, and nic test kit would be a waste for me. So the two options with a different price points for the non nic and nic tester would be great also.

And I think being able to choose your own flavoring choices is best for the same reason. Why waste flavorings if some aren’t liked by the person buying.

1 Like

Noted and that will be an option for sure!

I think your situation is kind of “the exception to the rule” though. As I believe the majority of those who start into DIY do so for financial reasons first and foremost. The second largest group would probably be those who honestly love the idea as a hobby (such as those who love to cook, and can easily see the correlation between the two).

If those two comprise the majority of potential kit buyers, then chances are high that they’re still going to be in the early stages of trying to quit smoking, and still need Nicotine, etc.

I can easily see how some people might desire to purchase their own flavors, but personally, I think those same people are less likely to be the ones who would be interested in a kit in the first place.
To me, a kit is normally for someone just entering the world of DIY. Think of all the times you’ve read here from a newcomer saying “I wish I would have not gotten the flavors I did…” when they picked their own.

Overall, it’s a tough call, as there’s so many varying points of entry to DIY.

Might be a good idea if Grant allowed for both. One set of kit options for choosing their own flavors, and one set of options for those who are 100% new.

4 Likes

Is it worth it for Nicotine River to have a product in every flavor company that is a “Top 10 Flavor” product? We can base it off of our reports and what has sold the best from the beginning. Let me know if this would be helpful?

Thank you!

5 Likes

Yes, That would be very helpful. Also stocking Hype flavors- New to the Market. That would also be great!

2 Likes

Will this suffice? https://www.nicotineriver.com/collections/flavourart-flavors/products/flavourart-10-best

Thank you!

4 Likes

What I think would be nice is to have say a 5 flavor selection with the top 5 or 10 flavors from each category.

You can say have the top 5 creams based on sales from various company’s, then top 20 fruits and that would be the 2nd and 3rd selection. Follow that up with the top 20 desert flavors for the 4th selection and top 5 custards.

This way someone can orders something like this:

1. Cap Sweet Cream
  2. INW Shisha Strawberry
  3. FA Fuji Apple
  4. TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust
  5. CAP Vanilla Custard

When your a newb it is best to have less choices, not more so that your first mix has a better chance of succeeding. If you include some simple recipes on the product page as well then this might be the jumpstart they need. I tried multiple flavor mixes when I first started and failed, the simple ones are what kept me going in DIY. If there was a starter kit like this I would have ordered it right away.

2 Likes

I dig it and great idea!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t put the Meringue and the Marshmallow in that group…one or the other, then have an additional flavor.

I think the kits(s) should be available from super simple to the complete thing.

Super simple being premixed base with choice of PG/VG ratio, with or without nic. and flavorings in their choice, of how many, maybe two sizes and flavor choice. All kits should contain gloves syringes/pipettes, and the option of getting a scale for a decent price.

Very nice! If I may make a suggestion since this is to be sold as a group I would suggest swapping out “sour wizard” with whatevers at #11, this is just an enhancer. Other than that it’s a great line up. I see a handful of recipes that can be made from it.

1 Like

@Nicotine_River

This was created by @Scottes777 and is a brilliant compilation that is easy to scan through the ingredients.
It is not only the best way I have ever seen to get someone new started with simple answers to the always asked questions of “what can I make” and “what flavors should I buy”, especially when they are eager to begin and can’t stand to wait a month to vape their first DIY juice.

It is so fast, easy, and simple to get a quick look at the recipe flavorings and decide if it appeals to their tastebuds, and they can choose which level they wish to start at. They can also easily ask others about flavor pairings versus steep times with the ingredients right in front of them and copy/paste in a reply on the forum…WITHOUT having to go to each recipe and open it to get the same information. AND…as we all know, the recipe names may be appealing, but the ingredients aren’t, or vice versa.

Yes, there is only a handful of each configuration, but PLENTY of choices to get someone new started with ease.

As I am sure Lars wouldn’t mind [may wish to consult him], and I see no reason you would object [Grant, Scott, Adair, Jody, etc] but maybe you could include a link to this thread [below] with each order, and every participant on ELR should direct all new mixers to this thread as well.
That being said about/for new DIY mixers, it is also a great simple guide for all of us to benefit from. I believe it would be very beneficial for new mixers to read the thread BEFORE they made their first flavoring order…however they were directed to it.
It’s definitely the best simple tool I have ever seen to get someone started…from just the recipes/ingredients alone.

It should be a ‘sticky’ on ELR. Here is the thread:

3 Likes

@Nicotine_River I hate to nag but it seems that my question about Capella Coconut has only made it to the ticket created step and then died. I’m not sure how much research is needed to decide whether to carry a flavor or not. I would just like to know ahead of time and hopefully get a positive response and give you time or order it so I can get some come the first of the month.

1 Like

We’ve placed an order for the flavor and it should be arriving today or tomorrow! Capella Coconut will be up on the website ASAP! Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We are in the final stages of the completion of Nicotine River’s DIY kit. Below are some tips we plan to include into our kit and we would like your input and any suggestions you may have.

First off there are two methods to mixing, by volume or by
weight, and for those just starting off, volume mixing is a great way to start
your journey. For the more familiar or advanced mixers, weight is the preferred
method. Weight mixing is most preferred due to the fact that, with the correct
information, weights will not lie nor change. Weight = consistency

• Volume mixing is based on using volume or milliliters of the various liquids to create your ejuice

• Weight mixing is based on the weights, or specific gravities, of the various liquids to create your ejuice

VG/PG ratios vary based on personal preference and vary greatly amongst vapors. From 100%, 70%/30%, 80%/20%, 50%/50%, and to others, these are just a sample of the many ratios that can exist in ejuices based on taste so do not be discouraged to adjust your ejuice to fit your taste.

Nicotine solutions can come in a variety of blends based on your preference and what the manufacturers sell. 100%VG, 100%PG and 50%/50% are the three blend types Nicotine River sells for eliquid nicotine. Your next question maybe “what does this “100%” stuff mean?” Simply, 100%, in regards to nicotine, means that your nicotine solution only has nicotine and either Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol. 50%/50% and others of the like indicate that your nicotine solutions are mixed with vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol but at different ratios. Additionally, the standard convention is to indicate VG then PG when referring to a 50/50, 70/30, 80/20, and so forth.

You may see the following standard nicotine strengths 3mg, 6mg, 24mg, 48mg, 100mg, etc, what these mean is that the concentration of the solution is some numbered concentration in milligrams per milliliter. To clarify the list and other numbers you may see, the concentrations should be seen as such 3mg/mL, 6mg/mL, 24mg/mL, and etc. The standard naming convention was used for convenience and ease of use, but remember that the listed numbers are in units of concentrations, as in weight over volume, of nicotine solution.

Flavor concentrates or just flavors, to make it short and sweet, follow the rule of “a little goes a long way” and are, generally, suspended or made using PG. Ejuices are brought to life by these concentrated flavors but we recommend to not consume the flavors by themselves. Rather it is necessary to dilute the flavoring down with PG, VG or both to achieve the desired flavor.

To bring all these tips together, each part influences the other whether directly or indirectly. Nicotine solutions are blended in PG, VG, or both in some ratio while flavoring is generally made using PG. Both of these factors influence how much VG or PG you would need to add into your bottles to achieve your desired ejuice

2 Likes

Looks good. Only ‘BUT’ i have [other than my cute one I sit on, to keep all the girls from…] is, I think/believe that for some/many new mixers, starting by weight is not only easy, but also better in the long run, There are many folks I have seen that say they wish they had started that way. The only difference I can see between the two for some to begin is the cost of set-up.

3 Likes

mixing by weight is the best way even for a personal mixer like myself. I have a bag of 95 pipettes out of 100. Only used a few of them when testing 120ml bottles of juice when I first started. Now I have learned patience with the steeping process and no longer use them. Looking back more 10ml bottles would have gone to better use.

NR needs to have 10ml LDPE dropper bottles in starter kits.

1 Like

@ozo The idea is to include both, in the tips and the instructions, that way the kit serves in an all purpose manner and the latter option can be pursued when convenient. But, it would seem to turn new users towards weight mixing first, yes? True, the cost could be a factor and we are investigating ways to ensure a cost effective kit is produced.

@bogey_again We will look into including 10ml LDPE bottles and selling them as well.

4 Likes