No luck with RTA'S

When you cut your leads after mounting the coil, did you make sure the clipped ends didn’t fall onto the deck? I’ve done that and caused a short and it took forever to find because it worked it’s way into a tiny gap in the insulator. Might be a good idea to follow @Sprkslfly 's recommendation and flush the whole thing with a jet of water.

7 Likes

ROFLMAO. Now that would be cool. I’m actually sending the Physical RTA’s to Dan but I really appreciate all the help. This is what happens when I try to build on things… it usually ends with… um yeah I suck at this … except for the weirdo rda Dread. For some reason my brain got that one quick.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m really weird about clipping them and take care because I have grandkids that come over so always have a fear that I’ll miss something when I sweep.

5 Likes

Meh… you’ll tinker with them enough in the future to be totally self sufficient and highly qualified enough to help others, just like you’re getting help from others today! :smile:

9 Likes

I think especially that is the way to go forward and learn when you DIY. Try a couple things that have been suggested, try to understand what is going wrong. It’s simple electricity (not electronics and chips). If you get a connection, you’ll see the resistance. If not, trace where the electrical loop is open. It’s all about tinkering until you get it. A bit like wicking… you gotta try more than a few times before you get it right each time. When it goes wrong, look at it and see where it’s going wrong so you can improve. A bit like creating recipes … if it’s not good, adjust it until it’s right. Don’t be afraid to “get your hands dirty” and try a few things. A bit like making coils … the first ones will look like sh^t and they’ll get better and better with experience.
You start from a position where it’s not working, whatever you do, it can only improve and not get worse.

13 Likes

Hope you are sending the mod too, or he has your mod… either way unless he can replicate what is going wrong… can’t fix it unless he can see it. If you read all the notes here, [chances are its a short] you either have a coil issue or a pin issue. Really not hard to fix if you concentrate. It’s sweet of @Dan_the_Man to work the issue out for you, but you can do this Michelle… just like you said you were not going to build a coil… look at you now! Next thing you know, you will be doing solos and flinging coils left and right.

You go girl! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well, based on the info given up top, it reads more like an open than a short. But nonetheless, as @anon28032772 says, it’s a physical electrical circuit and there is a mechanical issue that can be sussed out with proper troubleshooting. Dirty contacts, no contact at atty base, etc. @Dan_the_Man isn’t called The Man for no reason. He’ll get it sorted.

9 Likes

Yeah I really have no patience with building and get very frustrated quickly. Plus there’s the added worry is this thing going to catch on fire … yeah I worry. I was only trying to dry fire the coil. Did a video call with @Dan_the_Man yesterday and we couldn’t work it out. I’m not mod heavy. We go through a lot of mods because my mom lives with us and she drops them (her hands don’t work well). The only other “working” mod I have is not one I trust well. I have a lot of mods that don’t work LOL which doesn’t help this situation.

4 Likes

If you have a lot of broken mods… send them on to Dan too… maybe he can see whats wrong and fix, or use them for parts… just a thought. Ditch the clutter so you know what you have. You always need a working mod and 2-3 back ups.

@Dan_the_Man … dont shoot me… lmao…
but someone needs to help her. :slight_smile: Happy it is you! Lucky!! :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

They are literally just sitting in my vape cabinet. I forget I do have one extra working mod. I didn’t want to be ugly because my kids bought it. It’s a plug and play which drives me nuts. I’d rather have a battery operated mod. I also have a bunch of tanks that I never use just sitting there collecting dust.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to be obtuse, but what does that mean?

3 Likes

It plugs in via usb to charge you can’t change the batteries.

3 Likes

snowwolf looks like this

2 Likes

I see. The ‘battery operated mod’ bit threw me off.

3 Likes

LOL Phil I don’t know why I’ve always called rechargeable mods plug and play … guess it reminds me of computer stuff.

4 Likes

The Ohm Reader wasn’t reading the build. That’s where this started. I wasn’t sure if the Ohm reader was bad, but it reads the Dread RDA fine. I watch Vaping with Vic all the time. I know it’s hard to believe but I do actually enjoy watching people make coils it doesn’t cross over in my mind even if I try pausing and doing what they are doing each step.

2 Likes

if it reads one dripper right, then it is the one its not reading you need to tinker with.

if it is not the coil, its the pin. if the pin is making contact, and the coil has a short, it will read that.

it really is simple enough. :slight_smile:

as for who you watch, you need to watch more than just Vic… try good old Rip trippers… go back to his early vids. That is who I learned mine from. Try the tin man :wink: Even Nick Green… he is too cool.

Practice again, makes perfect. Don’t go throwing a fit, conquer your fear and have fun with wires… Seriously… you could learn and then move on to jewelry and other fun things. Or just keep sending your tanks and drippers out for someone else to fix up for you. Up to you, options and choices…

5 Likes

Ya can also clean out the female threads on the coil master also. Maybe some fuzzies got inside that end. Never used a CoilMstr, but if spring loaded, chk that it still has springyness. If it’s battery operated try replacing the batts first. Sorry - never owned a CoilMstr. Can’t think of much more to do on that end. Good luck!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

My kids go back to school tomorrow, I’ll tinker around with it again when I don’t have as many distractions. I still have this thing about my old school friends from Vape tv (not to be confused with vapers tv) they were my trusted resource when I started this and I have this “trust” thing when watching them. I mention that because I deal with severe anxiety disorder and I have a low tolerance for anything that freaks me out… like I’m going to start a fire if I don’t do this exactly right. If I weren’t worried about coils being banned with the PMTA’s in March I would have happily sat in my little sub ohm world and just used pre-builts, that and I’d like to not have to drop so much cash on those little things. My vape shops charges $20 for a box of five coils and if the “you can’t buy by mail” thing goes through that’s what I’ll be paying, If they don’t destroy the ability to buy those with the PMTA’s, that is.

So I feel I don’t have a choice about building my own now, and ask me what that does for my anxiety level. Pushes it through the roof. That’s why I decided to try again to build coils, not because I really want to, but I feel it’s going to be my only option if I want to vape. I did say I was never going to do this, but the lesson learned is never say never, because I’ll do what it takes to be able to vape, no matter how much I hate it LOL

3 Likes

LOL I did have to throw a mod out a window once which is where my fear of that comes from, I rarely talk about it because I don’t want to give more people “fuel” against us. I have been buying pre-made rebuild-able coils. The lolly’s I can pretty much do. But the Clapton’s yep that’s what I was using for the RTA’s so it wasn’t my bad coil building there hahahah I still have 10 clapton’s here and Jenn is sending me some Aries coils too

2 Likes