No luck with RTA'S

Do you still have this with you, and built as pictured? Can you send another coupe of pics of the build at different angles? It’s mounted “upside down” from pics online I’ve seen. While that is not necessarily an issue, it’s perhaps possible that the coil body is so low it’s touching the deck, or the clamps can’t be properly tightened due to coil leg orientation. Pickies please?

3 Likes

The ohm reader is reading - - - I’ll go steal back my computer and send pics.

2 Likes

Notice in that pic above, the 2 coil legs are facing away from each other. Is yours like that for the bombus? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

:+1:

Pictures always help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i will have to do this against later … I forgot when Dan and I were video conferencing we took out that coil and he watched as I added another coil and it was turned the other way and then I took that one out. My kids are playing on my computer since it’s the only real gaming computer in the house and it will start a mutiny if I get him off before his “hour” is up LOL I wish Dan was up he could tell you what we already tried LOL and he might have pics. I’m using my kids piece of crap computer and there is no video camera on it.

2 Likes

Great point. To my eye it seems they are on top right and bottom left but clarification would be nice.

4 Likes

I would take the time now to work on putting the coils in and out… while yor kid has his hour :wink:

3 Likes

That’s so not me. If I see something I need to go try to immediately remedy it. A quirk of mine that gets aggravating sometimes.

6 Likes

LOL my boys have a set time they are “allowed” on my computer and I have a written schedule so they don’t act like barbarians and try to beat the crap out of each other hahah the joys of having two teenage boys in the house.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Work it in and out, in and out, maybe even increasing speed as the repetition ensues until you’re satisfied. Hey, whoops. Sorry!!! Drifted off there…

5 Likes

be back soon speaking of said sons…

2 Likes

I sure am enjoying my fried apple fritter today… with a touch of vanilla and bourbon… omg… <3

had to recoil all of my wasps all 6 of them, plus the rest of my drippers… 12… and did it in under a hour…
the treat is this fine fritter and watching my son play clean up! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You watch him sleep? Man I thought I was weird.

5 Likes

ROLFMAO what happens between me and @Dan_the_Man stays between me and… hahaha no I’m not watching him sleep (evil grin as I contemplate the surveillance video hahahaha)

4 Likes

@authormichellehughes I totally understand the anxiety thing. My wife suffers from extreme anxiety and it’s very hard for me to come to grips that she can’t just overcome it like a Jedi. Coupled with additional disorders, I live an unusual life. I also have some mild anxiety issues that I never would have recognized if not for my wife. You’ll get the hardware DIY it in time. All good advice has been sent you way in this thread. For me it’s the opposite. If I don’t have things to fix, fiddle with, and keep me busy is when I get most anxious. I’m dying to see the pics of the failed coil installed :laughing:

6 Likes

Why do you need to spend so much money on coils when you’re still practicing to coil up your atty, let alone wick it? If you know you’re suffering from anxiety, you’re only going to feed it and make it worse for yourself.
A kid doesn’t learn to drive with a Ferrari, you get him a beat up Toyota instead.

Go online and order yourself a spool of 24g or 26g Kanthal. Make sure you have a 3mm screwdriver and a wire cutter as well as some sharp scissors for your wicks. That’s all you need, it’s cheap, it’s good for practice, it’ll give you a decent vape and if it doesn’t work out, you throw it out and start over without all the anxiety.

Once you get the gist of it, once you know your coil is going to work, you can try out the more expensive coils… or just look at the many tutorial videos posted on ELR for making easy fused claptons and end up with dozens of coils per $. I make them by the meter and throw them out with my wicks… never do I need to worry about the money that I’ll throw out, just a cent or 2 at most.

Try to do away with every source of anxiety that you have. Whether it’s the materials you use, knowledge gaps, if you’re afraid to light your house on fire, do it outside on the porch or inside where you could drop your equipment on stone or concrete. Really, whatever it is, drop that load off your shoulders and relax when you’re building an atty. Plenty people do it without issues. Unless you’re blind or missing the use of your hands, there’s really no reason why you can’t build a simple atty. Relax, take a breath, don’t panic.
If you’re all worked up to start with, you make it yourself very difficult to focus, learn and progress and again, there’s absolutely no reason to do so.

11 Likes

I believe she’s said she has a coil winding set, and probably a spool of wire already. But I agree with you about starting small and working up once comfortable. Just work on a simple, single strand coil. Just to get the mechanics of it worked out and get used to how the stuff acts. No need to try to mount it to a deck and add stress for now. You’ll get from bird’s nest to recognizable coil in just a few tries. Stop using the Clapton wire for now…

If anyone tells you they wrapped an alien Clapton on their first ever build, they are deceiving you. Believe me. No one made a jewel of a coil on the first try. Not even Eric Clapton.

9 Likes

And another tip … use spaced coils from the start. Just pull the coil apart on your jig or screwdriver and push it back together. It doesn’t matter much how much spacing there is, as long as the wraps don’t touch each other. It saves you from working out any hot spots, making your build so much easier. A single hot spot can burn your cotton (even when using TC) and ruin your vape.
It’s so simple it’s not even worthy of a tutorial but if need be, there are plenty on youtube. Just pull apart (about a centimeter or a nail’s width) and push back together, so simple.

7 Likes

Actually @Sprkslfly is the man for that. He fixed a mod of mine that I thought was done for. I’m Dan the Man for a reason. He is the Mod Coroner for a reason. I send all of my junked out mods to him working or not. I haven’t sent any in a while because of cashflow but I have quite the heavy box to send his way.

I really wish I could have helped last night but I fell down the stairs like 10 min. before we talked and I wasn’t all there. I’m in more pain today though. I have my tens unit on and soon I will try to sleep.

I had her do that last night, in hopes of figuring it out. We couldn’t get a good up-close of it so hopefully, she can get some good still shots of it.

That is a good idea actually. I should have had her put around build in it while we were on facetime. I hope y’all can help tonight because I am in way to much pain and my medicine is making me drowsy. I’ll see y’all on the marrow.

8 Likes

@authormichellehughes first things FIRST, WE are going to get you straight, period. Secondly, let me know if @Dan_the_Man has any issues, or it you want me to call you, Skype you, whatever works for you, if needed.

I AM firmly in the “we gotta get you building”, but will take a helpful approach to it. Better late than never. It’s not up to me or anyone else to decide for you wonder about you, etc. You want to get off the pre-builts, then THAT’S what we’re going to do.

I’ve had too short pins before cause issues, spinning the screw out a smidge fired it up. Let’s see what Dan gets sorted, and maybe we can advise you on picking up a few “spares”, mods/tanks, whatever your preference, JUST IN CASE. Never hurts.

Let me know what I can do to help you Michelle.

12 Likes