Noob question on nic levels

So I just started doing DIY juice. Just got all the stuff. Confused on one thing. I am using freebase nicotine. When I plug into the calculator do I want to put my strength at 3mg or at .3mg thanks!

8 Likes

Welcome.

If you want the final strength of the blend to be 3mg/ml, then put 3mg in the “Desired strength” box. You also need to type in the strength of the freebase you are using in the “Nicotine strength” box. Then the calculator will say how much freebase to add near the bottom of the page.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You will put in 3mg and the calculator will do the math for your quantity depending on what freebase you are using, example; 100mg/ml in pg or vg. I hope this helps. If I didn’t explain it right, I’m sure someone will chime in to clear things up. Again, welcome, your going to have fun. :blush:

7 Likes

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought that’s what I would want to do. Just didn’t want to end up with salt levels of freebase lol. I’m excited to embark on this journey!

9 Likes

Here’s one where I wanted to make a 4.8mg/ml blend using 72mg/ml nicotine, so for a 30ml bottle I needed to add 2ml of freebase.

Personally, I have gotten into the habit of creating recipes using the calculator as it is so much easier than making notes on paper and then transferring them after. Particularly as I’m terrible at maths.

7 Likes

So I do wonder. I ordered from Central Vapors. My nicotine is rather goldish yellow. Brand new. But my vape is tasting peppery. This is why I thought maybe I did the wrong levels. Do you think I got a bad batch of nic? Also worth noting is I am doing by weight with a 0.000 milligram scale so it should be accurate as well.

7 Likes

I’ve never used them for nicotine, though many kinds of freebase do have a peppery taste.

If you search the forum, I’m sure you’ll find notes on their nicotine: It’s a regularly discussed topic here.

5 Likes

That is a very very large amount for when you’re new to blending. It’s much more sensible to make smaller bottles when you’re trying out new recipes. Most of us will make 10ml bottles when trying out new flavours and 30ml bottles for testing out new blends.

9 Likes

Oh yeah not to worry. I just forgot to edit the amount for my screen shot I posted there. Wasn’t planning on any larger bottles until I dial in a daily vape I like. Thank you for pointing that out though, that would definitely end up creating some waste I’m sure!

7 Likes

Think I figured out what I probably did wrong.I made a diluted bottle of nic for slightly large measurements. I think I may have made it stronger than I thought! I just made 10 ml more of that straw lemon nic free and mixed a little in my peppery mix, it’s alreadya lot smoother and less peppery. You think if it was more at like 30mg vs 25 that would mess with the flavor this much?

5 Likes

I wish you good hunting in your quest to find an ADV (All Day Vape). I still have only managed to settle on collection of TODVs (Time of Day Vapes).

3 Likes

Thanks, I took me a long time to find my daily store bought juice. As you might guess it’s a strawberry lemon lol. I’ve always vaped the Sorbet Pop flavor. Was just sick of the sweetners killing my coil every day lmao.

5 Likes

Welcome! And glad to see you asking questions. It’s why this place is here.

I have one suggestion that may help in the future

I see you’re using 25mg strength, 75pg/25vg base Nicotine. This low strength has caused you to use a LOT of your base nic to achieve 3mg desired strength.

If your Nicotine base is a little oxidized, thus the yellowish hue, you will have that peppery tasting nic FLAVOR as 12% of your total liquid in the end. Most flavor concentrates nicely affect the end result at much lower %s than that.

My suggestion: If it as at all possible, buy your next bottle of Nicotine at 72 or 100mg/ml strength, and you may as well use 100%pg nic base as well. I highly recommend 100mg/ml.

Notice the % of my mix the nic base would be in this test…

You will use so much less base nic in your mixes and need to reorder much less often, saving you money, and making your mixes taste better!

• Notes in case you may not have heard about this stuff in your research:

Always shake to mix your base nic before mixing into your recipes to avoid “hot spots.” That’s when you drip in your nic and it can be much stronger than you planned, because it had settled in its bottle. Shake it up!

Always transfer your larger (500ml+) bottle of Nicotine base into smaller, more manageable bottles to mix. Think 30-60ml to work with.

If you are concerned with Nicotine Safety with higher strengths… good for you! Stay smart and safe, always. But…

Don’t let people scare you about getting a drop of 100mg nic on your hand. Just mix mindfully. A little drop washes right off and won’t mess with you. I’ve done it quite a few times, it’s not a bother at all. Never be in a situation where you could spill a bunch in your lap, that’s not being mindful. And, 25mg strength would mess with you if you did that, anyway. Nicotine safety does not mean use lower strength.

Anyway… Happy mixing! I hope you get through this peppery phase quickly!

9 Likes

Wow thank you for this well thought out post. I worry about my nicotine because I did buy a 1000ml bottle at 100mg/ml. Then diluted my own to the 25mg/ml. So you think that me diluting is allowing more of the nicotine taste into it? I just thought it would be the same if it was stale out if the 1000ml diluted or not. Maybe I am misunderstanding though lol.

Also not too worried about the nicotine safety. Not to say I will be reckless but it’s stored out of reach and I’ve been doing the smaller bottles to avoid the risk of spilling a large amount of concentrate.

8 Likes

Yes! I hope you haven’t diluted all 1000ml! If you havent, just use the rest at 100mg, undiluted.

The taste of your Nicotine has likely blended into the dilutents, and now you’re using that to mix.

Of course, I can’t be 100% certain, but it seems highly likely to be the culprit. Safely take a sniff of your 25mg dilution. If it smells a little funky, you’ll want to have as little of it in your final mix as possible.

7 Likes

Ok that makes sense now like it has steeped into the dilution!

So should the 100mg/ml be pretty odorless? If it does smell strong is that a good indicator that it is a stale batch?

4 Likes

Mine usually has a little bit of an odor, slightly yellow, but I don’t taste it in mixes. Search around for nicotine odor or smell here in the forum, you’ll find all manner of experiences and thoughts about it!

The worst I ever tasted was when I was using 46mg/ml, i think it was 46… it’s been over 4 years, and that was the last time I tasted anything weird in a mix that wasn’t some kooky thing i did with flavors.

A little odor is common. If your 100mg gives off a smell of pure dead fish…toss it.

6 Likes

Sweet baby Moses on stilts! Were you trying to spin up to the moon?

4 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t smell like dead fish at all lol. Just a spicy type smell to it like tingly I guess lol. Doesn’t smell like anything bad really just strong like there is a lot of something in it (nicotine) lol

7 Likes