Not Vape related--- need recipe for bisquits and gravy

my Aunt used to make these bisquits and gravy… the gravy was sausage gravy (just loaded with meat) and im sitting here craving it.

I can make the bisquits no problem but I have no idea how to make sausage gravy, rather than try a random internet recipe that may or may not be good. Does anyone have a good recipe for this?

3 Likes

I have me a recipe from Roger :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always used a little oil in a pretty warm pan add flour & milk or water or veg or beef stock your choice ( not a huge amount just enough to keep the batter moving and getting to the consistency of gravy )

start stirring like crazy start lowing your heat this is the base.

I don’t eat meat anymore but before you get your " gravy base " going take your choice of sausage and have it cut up sprinkle it with sage and thyme maybe a pinch of rosemary have it chopped well. Once that’s marinated pretty well you can have a few sprinkles of water in that meat to loosen it up. Then combine it to the gravy once you get to the point where your bringing the heat down at this time it’s a delicate art start mixing like crazy but not too violently to make them combine. Let rest a few minutes.

2 Likes

I go by sight, so it’s not a perfect recipe… I brown the sausage, remove it from the pan, but leave the grease in there. Add enough butter to equal about a quarter cup of fat total. Whisk in a quarter cup of flour and cook over low heat just until it starts to brown. Then I crank up the heat and slowly whisk in hot milk until it’s the right consistency… Probably uhh… 4-5 cups maybe? Add salt to taste, a ton of black pepper and a dash of nutmeg and you’re good to go!

3 Likes

And side note, it’s like you read my mind, Anonysista! I’ve been wanting biscuits and gravy for like a week! I might have to run to the store when the hubby gets home and grab some sausage…

2 Likes

To make it even more unhealthy use half and half.

I have found that normal us milk is missing the good stuff we all remember as kids.

5 Likes

im all for unhealthy goodness :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unhealthy?! Half and half makes it lower carb, so I’d call that health food!! (Ignore the fact that you’re dumping it over biscuits…) :joy:

2 Likes

I go by sight too in most of my baking so ratios in the kitchen fall by the wayside :wink: Yes I forgot the pertinent step of using the same pan that you used to cook the sausage in ( vegetarian here lol ) then it’s well seasoned !

3 Likes

You could use this… :wink:

1 Like

I do use it all the time love love love how low in fat it is ! I put sage thyme and rosemary together and I never miss the real deal !

3 Likes

Yay! Biscuits and sausage gravy for everyone!! :tada:

4 Likes

Half and Half is for sissies…unless you are making it for a bunch of relatives. If it’s for you - use Heavy Whipping Cream! (evil laughter)

7 Likes

Get a package of a good breakfast sausage. I prefer jimmy dean hot or NY Style breakfast sausage

Brown about a half pound of it over medium to meduim high while it cooks chop it up to your desired consistency. I Iike big chunks. When it’s browned strain the sausage out of the fat. Now here’s the key to the whole thing. Measure the fat into a cup, add butter or oil to equal 1/4 cup return to pan set heat to medium low. Whisk in an equal amount of flour, when the flour and oil are well combined return the sausage to the pan and keep stirring it. When the flour just begins to turn a little bit of a blonde color and add 2 cups milk. Or as I do 1 cup canned milk (not the sweet kind) and one cup regular milk, this makes your gravy so much richer and creamier. Season with salt and pepper. put in two or three dashes of tabasco hot sauce. Simmer till you reach the desired thickness serve immediately over bisuits, and hashbrowns. If your gravy is too thick add more milk if it was too thin then simmer a while. If you want to hold the gravy for a later time when you turn it off let cool five or ten minutes then put plastic wrap on the top of it. Just touch it down into the gravy so no air is between the gravy and the wrap this will keep a skin from forming. When ready to use gently lift the wrap off and then you lick it off or use a spatula to scrape any off and return to the pan. Re-heat, taste again for seasoning and serve. Another tip is to always butter the biscuits before putting the gravy on them. Yes it is more fattening but it is so much more yummy.

1 Like

Naw milk and canned milk is best we was poor growin up and could ford the cream, we even used canned milk for our coffee.

nutmeg yer makin béchamel sauce not gravy forget the nutmeg add a few dashes tobacco sauce

Not with a gun to my head, just go ahead and shoot me if you want vegetarian

Try it with ham bacon or get this and this is really good Spam just mash it up like sausage and brown it add oil and butter to get yer gravy makin liquor

When I was a kid my dad “tried” to use powdered milk to save money…

and then my mom threatened to… yeah well …anyway no more powdered milk after that.

1 Like

That looks delicious!

1 Like