Ogre spies a Grus Updated

15 Likes

I have had my eye on this one for a bit. Still haven’t pulled the trigger but your vid nudges me close.

Thanks for the review.

6 Likes

You are very welcome! No secret, I think it is a really nice unit.

8 Likes

So how many threads does the battery cap REALLY have? I heard Matt say it was a “many a turn” removal process, lol. I’ve been avoiding caps like that but find the mod interesting enough to maybe pull the trigger. I’ve been collecting 21700 mods and it’s sitting in the cart. The ones I don’t have is the Hippovape Papua and the Vaptio. Papua has all the acceptable qualities for me except the graphics. I’m trying to talk myself into liking South Pacific themes on my mods :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Can’t help much on the South Pacific thing, lol. I’m really enjoying a couple of 21700 singles now too. I also have the Yihi SL which is also a great performer. The threads are pretty fine so you will have to twist it a few times. As smooth as the threads are and as infrequently as I have to replace the battery, I can’t complain about the twists.

I just tested the cap for you. I would hate for you to buy the thing and not like it. It took four full turns.

8 Likes

Oh, that’s all? Geez, what was Matt whining about :smile:? With smooth threads I wouldn’t consider it a big inconvenience. Thx. I’ll take a look at your vid later and see what you have to say about it. So far, I haven’t heard anything negative.

7 Likes

Wait till you have about a half your. It’s a long one. Got carried away having fun.

7 Likes

Love the detail, the tech, the detailed information that you can’t get anywhere else (for a second time).

5 Likes

Great review. Let a coment on your YT.

6 Likes

And thank you, Twice!!!

5 Likes

Lol, Appreciate that brother. Valued comment from a credible source.

5 Likes

Just ordered one this morning. Looks like a good mod and well made. Ordered the black with walnut insert one as a) it looked really nice and b) was the only one they had left.

All @SmilingOgre’s fault by I will forgive him just this once…

Pull the trigger @muth & @28If. What do you have to lose? :grin:

5 Likes

Guilty as charged, but I truly believe you will love it.

5 Likes

I actually believe you are correct @SmilingOgre otherwise I would not have got one. Will look good with my Odin 100 and Coldsteel 120w mods which are my classier looking mods. :smile:

5 Likes

It should fit in well with that crowd.

5 Likes

Another brilliant video sir. Thank you for the time and effort.

I love 98% of everything about it (and a 100% of how you covered it).
1.5% deduction for not having TCR adjustability, and 0.5% deduction for the battery door type (though you do make a very compelling point about the battery not coming out if dropped).

My only counter-thought to the latter niggle is that, in my mind’s eye, if the battery is that securely held in place, and it takes a hard fall… All that kinetic energy almost has to increase the chances of denting the battery (be it the bottom or, more likely, the top/positive section).
But that’s merely postulation on my part…

In a way, I liken the batteries coming out as an extra safety feature (almost). /chuckles
By the same token, you risk damage to the wraps (at a minimum) that way as well, so…

I guess it all depends on how hard you are on a mod, whether or not you’re prone to thinking about/remembering to check mods with the screw on caps for battery damage after a hard drop, etc. :laughing:

Anyway, enough of my digression and rambling!
Just wanted to say you always get me thinking with vids like these, and they’re appreciated/enjoyed! :thumbsup:

6 Likes

Thank you brother! Excellent point regarding the battery. Definitely a reasonable consideration. I get the TCR thing too. I’ve settled down to pretty consistent and simple builds using SS single core clapton. If I were still using more complex builds, I might feel the same way. In the day I used to do a quite a bit of TCR “tweaking”. Appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment. Pretty long video to ask folks to sit through.

6 Likes

Yeah, the lack of TCR is somewhat disappointing but luckily not a deal breaker for me.

The battery door type looks similar to the type used on my Aegis solo’s and the Max. Work really well on those mods and feel a lot more secure than some of the slide open type doors.

5 Likes

@Ianc13, I ordered the dang thing.

Keep in mind I may need to use your message as evidence during the divorce proceedings. :grinning:

6 Likes

Awesome review bro. I have been on the fence for several weeks about this one. I needed something to review and I have been wanting another 21700 single cell Mod and now I know what I will do. Thanks, man… I mean Ogre.

5 Likes