Ohm Readers (that don't suck)

I saw the custom mod that @MisterSinner had made by https://jdmods.com/ and it reminded me of these custom Ohm Readers ORTDS 2.

The plastic bodies of current Ohm Readers are so flimsy and move around when building and wicking. I really wish I’d gotten one when I’d had the chance. I was wondering if anybody knew if someone out there in vapeland was making anything similar to these ORTDS.

3 Likes

I don’t know where you could find one sadly. I gave up using them as they do suck. I use a big ol regulated mod now. Does the same thing for me at least. I actually use my Hadron by steam crave for this purpose. Will hold up to a 35mm atty. It’s sturdy, and high enough to be comfortable for how I am sitting when I am building.

5 Likes

@FL_Vaper it’s Mister not master :rofl: I normally use a reliable mod to test and pulse coils but I have used the Coil Master 521 Tab before. They run on 18650, built pretty tough and good for desktop.

I don’t know this vendor but you can search around if interested.

https://www.directvapor.com/coil-master-521-tab/

5 Likes

Sorry about the Master/Mister thing. (embarrassing, since I had a second tab open to copy the link you posted - I edited it in my original post).

I didn’t realize you could get the OG Coil Master 521 Tab. Mine died ages ago. I’ve got the Mini, which is even more inaccurate and lightweight than the original. I liked the idea of the ORTDS because it had a low base like the OG Coil Master, but it also had some weight to it like the mods you and @Deb50 are suggesting.

Any idea how to add some weight to the OG Coil Master, if I go that route, to keep it planted to my work area?

4 Likes

No worries at all :laughing:

Not sure on adding weight to the OG but I used to have mine on my desk on top of a vape mat so it would’nt slide around.

3 Likes

Hmm, maybe a small flat weight you can set it on and either some rubber bands or even twisty tie things. Even a hockey puck would work. I used one of those to set a simple round build stand on and worked great. Course I super glued it to the puck and you can’t really do that here as you need to be able to get to the battery door. Unless it has a usb for charging and you dedicate a battery to it?

I vote for a flat weight of some sort and rubber bands. That could work, maybe? lol I rig crap all the time but it’s not always attractive :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a good idea too and a heck of a lot easier than my rig job :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do like the idea of a flat style weight, especially if you can glue it to the inside of the base. As long as there’s nothing interfering with it. :+1:

2 Likes

Do you remember if the base for the OG 521 Tab was a single piece/magnetic door, or if it’s like the 521 Tab Mini (which is like a remote where you have to depress something to get at the battery)?

If it’s a single piece than gluing a weight to the base (like a hockey puck) would be one solution. If not, I was wondering if neodymium magnets would mess up things if attached to the exterior. They’re heavy (and cheap). I was thinking, once again, of the features of the ORTDS and how the front deck was magnetized to hold tools and screws.

3 Likes

I can check when I get back home later :+1:

3 Likes

Nice i have the mini as well and could not find the Big Guy…Is direct vapor here in the USA

3 Likes

To be honest, I don’t know. I’ve never used that vendor. I just googled the 521 and that site still showed in stock.

4 Likes

I looked them up say Florida…i always like to shop in the states

5 Likes

Same here. :+1:

4 Likes

I don’t use them. I don’t think I used a vape with a screen this year yet.

When I really needed an ohm reading, I’d just slap my build on a regulated mod.

3 Likes

It is a single piece magnetic door. It covers the whole base.

5 Likes

Thanks for those pics! Can you buy hockey pucks singly? If not, any idea of what else that could be attached to that battery door?

I’m kinda liking the idea of attaching flat magnets to at least one side with Vinyl Tape to use for hex wrenches, tweezers, etc. Would that mess anything up, do you think?

4 Likes

The hockey puck idea was @Deb50 . The 521 isn’t that big to keep tweezers on the side. It would be sticking out on the sides. For my most used tools I use these holders:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FM8M7RC/?coliid=I1YDS7P6H470YU&colid=1217SXJPPLPQQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

4 Likes

I was just thinking of the side facing away from me for the magnets.

That site is charging almost $7 for an adult signature on top of the shipping cost. (and still it’s the least expensive of the few places that still have it - most places have the Mini Tab) :frowning: Nobody seems to have the Tab Plus, which seems to address the whole weight issue. :frowning:

I take it that nobody has ever heard of anyone making Ohm Readers like that guy that made the ORTDS? They weren’t as attractive as the mod you had done @MisterSinner (did I get it right this time? - btw, LOVE that mod!), but they could be made with gradients, glitter, etc.

3 Likes

I never came across ohm readers like that in the past but I have seen custom ones by Lazy Creations on Instagram. Hope that helps.

3 Likes