Ohms vs Wattage vs Temp

Thank You!! Great tip!

1 Like

I change my wicks after every 10ml of juice vaped. I find the flavor more "genuine " with every change of wicks. I also wash and clean the whole atomizer up each time I change to new juice. How do I know when to discard my old existing coil? Please advise!!

Gunky coils should be obvious when you are changing your wicks. You can get an old toothbrush and brush them off gently to get some of it off. I also heat it up and run it under some tap water from the sink to clean them even more. As for changing out your wick every 10ml of juice, there is now way Iā€™d do it that soon. I vape 15+ml a day so I would be changing my wick once maybe twice a day. I have found that my wicks last at least two weeks in my Griffin 25. So thatā€™s like after 210ml of juice (14 days x 15mls/day). I donā€™t vape juice with lots of sweetener (sucralose) in it but if you do they gunk up coils quickly.

Hereā€™s a video showing what I mean about washing your coil. Just be sure to tilt your mod so you donā€™t get any water on it while washing.

3 Likes

Yeap, I dry fire my dirty coils and invert the coils into a cup of water. I do see a lot of gunk and carbon droplets in my cup of water. I also brush my coils with the miniature brush. In fact, I just did that and I have a set of cleaned coils now.
I also notice the ohms has become 0.41 from when it was original build at 0.38. Off course I was getting a reading of 0.48 ohms yesterday before I clean the coil .

I do have juice that is loaded with sucralose, I guess thatā€™s why my coils gunk up. I am thrill to learn that you vape over 200ml of juice before changing wicks. I find the flavor deteriorating after 10-15ml of vaping and with new wicks, the flavor is genuine again.

My question is - when will I need to discard the coils.

The resistance will increase in your coils over time as the get gunked up which you have noticed. I tend to replace my coils before I really ā€œhaveā€ to. Usually because I want to try a different wire/wrap setup. But I would think they would need changing when the resistance has increased a significant amount even after cleaning. In your case going from 0.38 to 0.48 is a lot. After cleaning you got it back down to 0.41 which isnā€™t to bad coming from 0.38 new but I would think that it might be getting close to needing a change. Iā€™d keep using it until you need to clean it again and see where your at. If it increases in resistance pretty quickly, I would go ahead and change it. I know itā€™s not an exact answer but I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thank you! Will keep a look out on the ohms of the used coils.

1 Like

Exactly how I tell when to change my coil.

I vape juice that gunkā€™s coils rather quick as well but I normally get about a month out of the coil itself. Using 24g SS 316L I also clean mine by heating and then dunking in a cup of water.

But how to you tell when 1 month is up and it is suppose to be changed? Just by timing? My problem is - I rotate my RTAs daily, having each RTA with a different juice. I sometimes use 3 different RTAs a day and so I cannot really time my coil usage time.

Go by coil performance. If the ohms are increasing a lot and itā€™s not cleaning up well anymore, time to change it. There is no preset time to how long a coil lasts. Too many variables as to what will cause them to go bad.

2 Likes

I pretty much do all mine at the first of the month now but you can tell by the change in resistance. Say my fresh build is .30 if it gets to .33 or .34 after cleaning it is time for a new coil.

4 Likes

OK - Got it - Thanks guys!!

2 Likes

I just dry fired and cleaned another set of coils in another of my RTAs. It was originally build to 0.3ohms and before cleaning it just now it was at 0.34ohms. After cleaning the coil, it is now reading at 0.28ohms. This set of coils seems to go down in ohms after cleaning. I am using the same Mod, a Reuleaux RX 200S to get all this ohms reading.

As I 've learned from you guys when the ohms differs too much from the original build even after cleaning, I am suppose to discard the coil, does it apply to going down in ohms too?

I would guess the coil is fine. I personally do not totally trust my mods I use a ohm reader for this.

1 Like

I just checked with my ohm reader, it is the same at 0.28ohms.
How is it that the ohms can be lower than its original build?

My guess would be a difference in the temperature of the atty when tested. I have found that the ohms will increase as the coil gets older as in my example earlier. There are many factors that could make it read lower such as a better connection at the 510 or someplace inside the atty itself.

1 Like

So I guess in time to come as the coil get older, the ohms must increase to a point when I discard it.

I was thinking old coils can also go down in ohms to a point when you have to discard it.
Sorry if it sound stupid but I guess being a newbie, I am excused. :blush:

1 Like

Here is the way I look at it as far as the resistance goes.

The wire gets smaller over a period of time just because the metal pits and corrodes to some degree. It also shrinks in size from being heated and cooled so many times.

Thinking about how wire in vaping goes the smaller diameter the higher the resistance the larger the diameter of the wire the lower the resistance.

So given that it just makes sense as the coil ages the resistance will go up not down.

There are so many variables that will change the resistance it is hard to say what actually caused it to go down but I have had that happen before as well.

There is no right or wrong time to change your coils so it actually comes down to what you like personally. I know people that put new coils in every time they change there wick.

Given time you will learn what works for you but to me as long as you check your coil after cleaning by making sure it looks solid and all your connections are snug it should be fine as long as your room temperature resistance has not gone up a good bit.

3 Likes