One on One Tasting Notes

Can you clarify the taste you want. I think you’ve posted on this for a week without success.

3 Likes

oo im sorry fidalgo just told me to not post same threads and now i just did but i forget i posted about angel cake thought it was about golden sponge cake i want a nice cakey eggy flavor like a nice sponge cake im not sure if i want to have fruits in it cause fruit can mute the cake notes what you think?

3 Likes

and have you any experience with golden sponge cake?

3 Likes

Funny you should ask @min0.

2 Likes

Golden Sponge Cake (OOO) 5% (11-14-21) – Picked this one up on a whim as soon as the 60ml bottles were back in stock at One On One Flavors. In the bottle, it smelled really close. Tasting it continued that trend. Cakes most times, fall into TWO categories …

Break Out The Cakes !!

What is the difference between a regular cake and a sponge cake?

Cakes are divided into two basic categories. The first group is called shortened cakes, butter cakes or high-fat cakes. These cakes use some type of fat: butter, margarine, shortening or oil. The second group is called foam, or low-fat cakes. Sponge cakes belong to this category. Foam cakes have a high ratio of eggs to flour, and depending on the type of foam cake, may contain either no fat or a small amount of fat, generally in the form of egg yolk and oil.

Sponge cakes obviously fall into the “foam” cakes category, and this one was fairly accurate in that regard, as it was cakey, but not buttery or fatty. Smooth, accurate, and had some underlying bakery, almost grainy elements (almost), and that added to the overall effect. Fluffy was another descriptor that kept popping into my head during this test, and guessing that was due to the lack of a heavier, more buttery texture. It wasn’t a yellow cake, or cupcake, but had similarities, yet maintaining a very close Sponge Cake profile. Could easily be used in numerous ways in almost anything bakery. Felt very good at 5%, and was about mid-level sweet, and I found it hard to fault with nothing off-putting. Probably one of the better Sponge Cakes I’ve tried. Felt pretty good @ 9/10.

5 Likes

Strawberry Jam (OOO) 5% (11-14-21) – I really started getting to SB Jams on the quest to clone, and improve a particular SB Jam and Toast. Now, that quest, led me to the BEST SB Jams out there (and yes, it turned out to be the one IN that particular recipe). With Flavor Labs setting the bar SKY HIGH in regards to any/all SB Jams, everyone else was fighting for second place. Where did One On One fall ?? Pretty high up on the scale. Now there’s a BUT, but you’ll have to keep reading. This strawberry was a nice, rich, almost dark SB, and it was smothered in jammy goodness. There is/was no way to mistaken that this WAS a SB Jam. No seeds, but there was almost a pectin-like punch to it, all the more leading you down Jammy McJam lane. Now the BUT. There was a VERY perceivable butter note to this one. At first I did a double take, “Wait, what the hell, … is that what I think it was” ? I started researching, and only ONE person picked up on it …

SPC on ELR

Flavor Facts: Very deep, full, strawberry jam, the strawberry is very red and dark. Mix @ 2 - 3%.
Reddit Flavor Notes:
I swear this is the GOAT strawberry jam. Not just a strawberry with some jammy body, but really seriously strawberry jam. It comes with a bit of baggage, though, it has a bit of a buttery flavor and richness. But pretty much anything I’m going to use a super authentic strawberry jam flavor for, a little bit of butter is going to be desirable or at the very least not unwelcome. But it is a little odd as a standalone flavor because of that butter and it’s surely something to be aware of.

YES, there was a generous helping of butter in this one. Now much like SPC said, I could see USING the built in butter, almost everywhere I would use a SB Jam, so it COULD be a plus for you. I suspect the punchy jam would be even punchier if it weren’t tempered by the butter slightly. What’s interesting about this SB Jam / Butter pairing is the SB Jam is on the front end, but the butter increases on the back end. Interesting. OK, how do I rate this ? It IS a great SB Jam, BUT, there’s the butter. How about this. If you want a pure SB Jam, then it would be a 5/10. If you don’t mind some butter IN your SB Jam, then it would be a 9.3/10. If you DON’T want the built in butter, check out Flavor Labs SB Jam.

6 Likes

As with most profiles you probably need to build from scratch. My most recent French toast iteration mixed things up a bit and included vape train egg yolk! I was super skeptical ordering it as it could have been and more than likely was going to be horrendous and sulphurous. To my amazement the sniff test checked out and it is a great flavor, hard to describe though kinda like a buttered candy version of egg yolk. I tried a new cinnamon (usually use FLV rich) and went with FW cinnamon roll to help build the bakery element. Anyhow get your hands on Vape train egg yolk as it definately added a certain je ne sais quoi

3 Likes

Having tested most/much of the FT’s out there, only Real Flavors seemed to get it right for me, and like you said @mixologist13 you’re most times, better off just building it yourself. Egg Yolk, huh ??

Hmmmm …

3 Likes

They have various flavors, like creams, fruits, and drinks, with different strengths. Some are 1-5%, others 5-11%, but the average is around 3-7%. I tested mine at 5%, and it seemed potent and balanced. However, the iced tea was too strong at 5% and even 3.5%, so I settled for 2%. It’s a super intense black tea with bitterness and earthy tones, similar to FA black tea but more bitter. It steeps quickly compared to FA, turning into dark black tea in a day and fully developing after 5 days. Unlike FA, which takes weeks to reveal its full strength. The lemonade doesn’t taste like floor cleaner but is too sweet, more like lemonade concentrate than fresh lemonade. It’s similar to FA Lemon Sicily, slightly tart at first but turning sweet after 3 days, almost like a lemon hard candy. Even at lower percentages, it loses its “nade” qualities, becoming like any regular lemon. It’s a challenging flavor, and I’m experimenting to make a good lemonade without adding extra flavors or sour additives. It might not be worth it in my opinion.

5 Likes

I need to order enough from OOO for free shipping, the only thing in my cart is marshmallow vanilla, any suggestions on must have flavors from them?
Thank you for your help

5 Likes

Creamy milky undertones , strawberry jam

3 Likes

@STR8V8PING Thank you kind sir, they are added

3 Likes

Cool, looks like they’ve gone back to selling smaller sizes. Guess that business plan wasn’t working out.

5 Likes

Cheesecake Vanilla Custard is another one that geta used a lot. Sugar cone is interesting, not essential but unlike any other flavor out there.

Excellent you got the Marshmallow Vanilla, one of my favorites

8 Likes

OH, I missed this post. What did you end up getting.
I would add;
(must haves)
Honey Puff Cereal
Corn Bread
Pie Crust
Powdered Sugar

and of course… MASHED POTATO

8 Likes

@Rocky02852 I actually held off hoping to get some more suggestions because I didn’t want to order blind and get several bottles of battery acid lol, thanks for the input, I will add those, particularly the corn bread as it’s a food group all its own here in West Virginia! :grin:

6 Likes

Corn bread is great for cake texture. I just got honey puff cereal to try a jam monster recipe. Havent used it yet

7 Likes

Caramel Condensed Milk is good.

5 Likes

#1 item by count brought back to the :canada: side of the border by us. Jiffy for the win. Followed by Gabes receipts. Thank god for the benches out front for the dudes. :wink:

3 Likes

I second this!!

3 Likes