Pairrings for custards

Hi all

Over the past few years I have developed some nice solid base custards, that fit my taste. I have experimented with different pairings to go with the custards. like fruits, biscuits, cookies, popcorn, caramel, etc (not combined, but as single unique batches) I mix my custard, and add what ever flavoring to at to the taste profile.
Does anyone have any ideas for what new flavors to try, to make unique new custards? as I browse ELR, many recipes seem to revolve around the same few concepts. Not much new under the sun…

Have a nice day

1 Like

Custard goes well with…

ALMOND, almonds, amaretti, apple, apricot jam, banana, biscuit, blackberries, brandy, bread, brown sugar, BUTTER, cake, caramel, CASTER SUGAR, cherries, chocolate, cinnamon, cocoa powder, coconut, coffee, condensed milk, cornflour, CREAM, custard powder, demerara sugar, egg whites, EGG YOLKS, EGGS, ginger, glaze, gooseberries, heavy cream, honey, jam, jello, jelly, ladyfingers, lemon, lemon juice, lemon zest, liquor, lowfat milk, madeira, mango, marsala wine, mascarpone cheese, MILK, mint, nutmeg, orange, orange juice, orange zest, pastry, peach, pear, pecan, pie crust, pineapple, plum, pound cake, powdered sugar, pudding, pumpkin puree, raisins, raspberries, raspberry jam, rhubarb, rum, semisweet chocolate, sherry, sponge cake, strawberries, strawberry jam, suet, SUGAR, syrup, toffee, unflavored gelatin, VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLA POD, walnut, whipped cream, whipped topping, whole milk, wine, zest

http://www.ingredientpairings.com
These are only food pairings.

In vapes, you can pair custard with almost anything. Tobaccos are a real favorite too.

8 Likes

I like pairing custard with more custard then topping it off with some custard. However some things you may not have tried - white (or dark) chocolate is a great pairing as is the right coffee (i have been playing with fa booster at about .7%)

8 Likes

Yeah I like combining custards too. Makes some banging vapes. Ive never tried a chocolate vape. Might try that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

have you tried any of the more exotic fruits like , guanbana. spelled wrong by flv or any other , not sure if it would work but try it , of course when pairing things with custard your still revolving around the same old concepts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of my favorites - super simple yet so tasty. Along the lines that @fidalgo_vapes mentioned very unique taste of yumberry.

And one I have on my list to make from @SthrnMixer

4 Likes

Definitely going to try Guanabanago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cherimoya is wonderful with Custard. It is also known as Custard Apple.

5 Likes

@woftam have you been able to get a decent coffe?? can’t seem to get it right whatever I try, I’m now playing with UP by FA, got it in my Le Zephyr (mesh) at 3% right now, but the taste is close to a decently dosed dark bean by FA, not quite there yet… haven’t tried booster.

I apologize for the OT.

Ya coffee is a tough one - booster is meant to be a Tiramisu i find it more like a latte - it is good but stay low.

2 Likes

+2 for cherimoya(inw)

2 Likes

@Josephine_van_Rijn also has some fantastic Taro recipes with custards. That woman is a beast when it comes to Taro!

2 Likes

:nauseated_face:
Ok, who is going to be the volunteer to vape some suet custard? :laughing: Not it!!

2 Likes

The equivalent in vaping terms is diacetyl :drooling_face:

1 Like

@Ken_O_Where
I see custard, i think of this man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tried any oak aging? I went the cheap route and used the cubes they make for wine, @LordVapor bought a small oak barrel to age his. The cubes worked out very well and they are cheap enough to try different types of oak. The last batch i “oak aged” was with a medium toasted oak cube, it was pretty damn good. I would probably go light toast next time.

It is something different that very few people do.

https://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create/Oak-Barrels?c=234153

4 Likes

I’ve been playing with the the easy version of this lately aka oakwood(FA) and toasted marshmallow(TPA) mixed with custard recipes

2 Likes

Can’t imagine it’s bad. I think you can even pair custard with cucumber and basil if you want to :smiley:
(esp if you take the peppery TPA version)

Sorry, but where I come from, suet is either bird or pig feed.

Not it!

2 Likes

I’ve had the honor of experiencing one of @anon13011326’s creations firsthand (and I mean that most sincerely, it was an honor!) and I was TREMENDOUSLY impressed!!

If anyone is interested in this type of thing, he’s definitely the first person I’d suggest talking with for insight into the process!

While it was a bit “runnier” than I’d expected for being 80vg (though I had no negative issues in the atty, nor with my PG sensitivity) the flavor he was working on was EXCELLENT, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (I’ve been spreading it out to make it last…)

2 Likes