Pecan pie suggestions please

Ok I’ve been at this hard since thanksgiving. I’ll give a rough estimate and say 2 attempts a week since then. Now while my latest is a very pleasant one I believe it’s just really lacking something. I just can’t get that real sugar feel but for the sake of everyone’s time I’ll just put up my last one. Which I feel is the best and closest but just lacking something.
Vanilla bourbon (fa) 1.75
Brown sugar extra (tfa) 2
Butter pecan (fw) 4
Custard (fa) 2
Golden butter ( cap) .5
Kentucky bourbon (tfa) 1.5
Maple pecan (fw) 2
Meringue (fa) 2
Pie crust (tfa) 1.25
Toasted almond (tfa) .75
Mixing at 70/30 I’ve been debating on adding a little bit of pralines and cream in it but all I have is Loran’s any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is a actual recipe for the Pecan Pie filling

5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 cups chopped toasted pecans
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

First let me say I’m thinking perhaps your idea of pralines and cream is not a bad idea in place of the maple pecan and the custard. I feel that the maple will throw off the flavor and if Custard (FA) is a spiced custard like others then the same may be true with the custard. The real recipe calls for salt and of course a lot of sugar. Consider a little of Salted Caramel (FW). Also, think about Toasted Marshmallow (TPA) in the mix. if the almond comes through too much. I’m familiar with Kentucky Bourbon (TFA) and that sounds real strong. Personally I would not even use it here. I don’t use sweeteners and I hate even recommending it’s use but Pecan Pie is extremely sweet. You are gonna have to add Suculose type sweetener I’m betting. Hope this helps a little…

2 Likes

Ok thank you see my aspect of using the custard was to use it for the eggs in the recipe and to give it a little more body. The Kentucky bourbon I was aiming for a southern pecan pie and the recipe on food network called for some bourbon so I figured I’ll give it a shot. You can’t taste it in the recipe at all. I think I’m agreeing with you about dropping the maple pecan. Tfa pecan is a horrible flavor even using it at .5 % it makes itself well known and almost tastes burnt. The recipe is a really good nutty flavor just not pecan pie what I’m hoping for. I picked up (fw)butter toffee because I thought that would be a good flavor to add to the mix. But it smells horrible and I believe it will just be collecting dust. Thanks again

1 Like

I’m surprised you can not taste the Kentucky Bourbon. Everything I put it in seems to make it stand out though I’ll admit it is usually going into a fruit mix. I was thinking you already had the Vanilla Bourbon and you could up it just a dab since the P Pie recipe calls for both Vanilla and Bourbon. The recipe also called for salt and of course sweetness so that was my reasoning for the Salted Caramel. At the right % it should only add a little sweetness and the salt. Yeah, drop that maple for sure. Of course I was thinking the toasted Marshmallow would give a toasted effect and a little sweetness as well. My original thought when I saw the custard was that I would use most likely Bavarian Cream but the Pralines and cream might do a great job I’m thinking. Unfortunately you have to be careful with the sweet concentrates and not use too much because they have EM or Maltol in them. Too much will mute your flavor. The Brown Sugar hopefully will not cause problems. Too much EM Is why I was thinking Suculose. Figured it might be a good idea to explain my reasoning behind some of my suggestions…

If you narrowed pecan pie down to it’s root flavors basically it’s just sugar, pie crust, and pecans with a touch of vanilla. I have done a couple desserts where I ran into problems like this. I went back to the drawing board and started over. Maybe start out with Brown Sugar, Shisha Vanilla, Bourbon, Pecan, and maybe try some Maple Syrup in it. I don’t think a custard is going to get you there. In a vape, I think if you get the sugars, vanilla, and pecans just right you are going to be damn close. Then add the pie crust which is the easy one.

I’m sorry brother, I have to disagree here. One of the things about a good pecan pie is the roasting of the pecans on top that occurs during baking. Another is the caramelization of sugars. Also, a good pecan pie will have a crust with edges that are browned, and that gives off it’s own distinctive flavor that adds to the whole thing. But you said “root flavors” and I disagreed. Hmmmm. That’s because, apart from those other flavors that are really very prominent in the pie, it’s not Pecan Pie. And that’s a Southern thang :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, here’s a recipe for pecan pie from Southern Living magazine. If you’ve never read it, it is one hell of a publication I highly recommend.

1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Of course there’s the crust too.

Preparation

1. Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.

2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.

3. Stir together eggs and next 5 ingredients; stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie shell.

4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until set, shielding pie with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Serve warm or cold.

As you can see, egg plays a pretty large role here. Also baking the pecans first imparts that toasted flavor in them, something a simple pecan flavor will fail at every time. That taste must come from somewhere! Not to mention they get even more dry heat/roasting because they rise to the top. All that said, I don’t think egg is a strong flavor at all, so even though a Vanilla Custard might be a good source for some eggyness, I think a stronger eggy flavored custard might be the ticket as it can be used at a lower percentage without imparting a creamy taste which Pecan Pie has zero creaminess. Perhaps TPA Vanilla Custard which is quite eggy. Used at low percentage. Add CAP Toasted Almond in the 1 to 1.5% range to provide the toasted taste to your pecans, maybe in conjunction with TPA Toasted Marshmallow. Brown sugar it up - instead of 2%, double that or more. So where my head would be for a pecan pie is this -

Pie Crust (I don’t have this, so whatever percent and vendor is right for you)
Pecan (to taste)
Toasted Almond (recommend CAP at 1% to start)
Brown Sugar Extra (TPA, start at 4%)
Butter 0.5%
Vanilla Custard (TPA, start at 1.5%)
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% dilution (0.5%)

In my view the biggest obstacle to overcome here (assuming you get the pecan and crust taste you want) is to replicate that caramelized sugar which is very prominent in a good pecan pie, while also making it sweet enough. I would recommend the Organic Burnt Sugar from Nature’s Flavors but I don’t know it well enough yet. Other ideas though would be to include some small amount of caramel, butterscotch or toffee. Not enough to add a lot of their unique flavors, but to really complement the caramelized sugar taste. Perhaps a combination of the three in low quantities might work.

That’s all I have. But don’t listen to close to me…I’m just spitballin.

Perhaps Dulce de Leches might help…

1 Like

Butter Pecan by Flavor West is a similar taste. I just tasted it as a single mix I had in my cupboard (steeped about 3 months). Pecan Pie is my favorite. Might be another choice for you. That’s why I’m chiming in.

Peaches and Pecans DaMomma’s ml g %
Butter Pecan (FW) 0.9 0.9 3
Peach Cobbler (DIY) 0.3 0.3 1
Pie Crust (FW) (note: beware is bitter) 0.6 0.6 2
Sweetener (FW) 0.3 0.3 1
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 0.3 0.3 1
Totals 30 35.72 100
Strength: 4mg/ml PG/VG: 30/70 Flavor total: 2.4 ml (8%) * Tried it. Favorite ****

Pecan Pie is my favorite pie. x
I got it because I was making the recipe here on ELR: The first time I made it, I did not have the Butter Pecan by FW, so I used TPA Butter and TPA Pecan. I liked it better using the TPA ingredients.

Peaches and Pecans DaMomma’s ml g %
Butter Pecan (FW) 0.9 0.9 3
Peach Cobbler (DIY) 0.3 0.3 1
Pie Crust (FW) (note: beware is bitter) 0.6 0.6 2
Sweetener (FW) 0.3 0.3 1
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 0.3 0.3 1
Totals 30 35.72 100
Strength: 4mg/ml PG/VG: 30/70 Flavor total: 2.4 ml (8%) * Tried it. Favorite ****

2 Likes

Yes!

So, what’s with the picture you ask? I tried to just say Yes! but it said there was a 10 character minimum. Go ahead, count em. There’s 10. More if you count the ones hanging on the wall.

2 Likes

I’m gonna give that a try and add the toasted marshmallow to.

1 Like

Maybe you misunderstood what I was meaning by what I said. By root flavors, I mean strip the recipe down to the root ingredients and start there. I didn’t mean that was all the recipe needed in it. I often think I use too many ingredients. But I usually start with just a few flavors.

And the comment… that’s a southern thang - lol. I always get a chuckle when people talk about southern cooking, as if it is the end all be all of cooking, because it is. My entire family on my mother’s side (those that did 100% of the cooking in my family) all came from Little Rock Arkansas. My Grandmother was born in 1902. She lived to be 93. And she cooked up until her last few years. So southern cooking, yup. I grew up on that :wink:

I grew up watching 7 women cook. And by the time I was 7 year old I could follow a recipe to the letter. Momma taught me to read before I was 5. But my grandma and most of my aunts didn’t have recipes. My mom had her sisters’ best ones written down though. I can remember sneaking my mom’s secret cookbook out of the cupboard while she was asleep one day. I was dyin’ for some doughnuts. I climbed up on the kitchen counter and grabbed the book. I made the doughnuts and stuffed myself silly. When I climbed back on the counter to put the book away I thought I was in the clear. All I had left to do was clean up my mess. It was when I was sliding my legs back down to the floor that I screwed up. My pant leg got hung on the handle to the lower cabinets. I flipped over and was hanging upside down. My head never hit the floor. Mom woke up from the screaming and came and rescued me before yelling at me for making a mess lol.

Now go look at your kitchen cabinets and just imagine how little I was, and I made some fire ass doughnuts :wink:

3 Likes

Alabama Pecan Bars (TEST) : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/372541/Alabama+Pecan+Bars+%28TEST%29

3% Apple Pie (TPA)
0.5% Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon) (FA)
2% Brown Sugar Extra (TPA)
3% Butter Pecan (FW)
1% Cookie (FA)
2% Custard (FA)
1% Jamaican Rum (FA)
0.5% Marzipan (FA)

Flavor total: 13%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/2Z0N

2 Likes

That’s an awesome story. Love it. And I suppose I did misunderstand. I thought you were suggesting only those flavors. My bad.

1 Like

Oh, we can still disagree buddy :slight_smile: I still don’t think I would like a custard in it lol. But I am going to try your recipe ideas and see how I like it. I don’t have any Pecan though. So I am going to use Walnut instead. That’ll bring back fond… err, not-fond blackened finger memories.

Ima gonna try a Pecan Pie.
This is what I came up with. As a SnV it isn’t bad. I dunno if it will turn into a pecan pie in a month…we’ll see. LOL
My wife makes a totally BOMB! Pecan Pie. She makes it with a pressed butter crust, not a rolled out crust. She also uses a T spoon of molasses with light caro instead of dark caro. Of course eggs, brown sugar, pecans…
DAYAM, I just drooled on my keyboard thinking about it.

Pecan Pie (Butter Pecan FW)

Ingredient %
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% 0.5
Brown Sugar (TPA) 1
Butter (LA) 0.5
Butter Pecan (FW) 4
Pecan (TPA) 0.5
Pie Crust (TPA) 1.5
Toasted Marshmallow (TPA) 2
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 3

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
1 Like

Yea I made a variation very similar but I’ll tell ya that (tfa) pecan is no joke. Even at .5 it makes itself well known and imo it tastes like burnt popcorn. But taste is subjective

Yea, true THAT! It is a very bright and very raw pecan flavor. I probably could have left it out with the 4% of BP FW. I have noticed that the Pecan TFA does steep well and tones down some.

Pecan Pie

Ingredient %
Butter Pecan (FW) 5
Brown Sugar Extra (TPA) 1
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 1.5
Kentucky Bourbon (TPA) 0.5
Toasted Marshmallow (TPA) 2
Pie Crust (TPA) 1.5
Dulce de Leche (FW) 1
Salted Caramel (FW) 0.5

My Thoughts on Pecan Pie, Untested of course…

1 Like

This looks really good. If I had the pie crust I would try my own version, very similar to yours, only I would start out much higher on the brown sugar. Maybe 4-5% using regular or 3% using Extra. Each slice of pecan pie contains as much sugar as 45 acres of sugar cane :slight_smile:

After researching TFA Brown Sugar this morning I found that my suspicions of EM in it were unfounded. Course that doesn’t mean it does not contain Maltol but Maltol is usually in much lower amounts. This being said I would try to achieve half as much Brown Sugar percentage as the Butter Pecan percentage. Being I put BS extra I probably would bump it to 1.5-2% to start Truth be told I am doubting the brown sugar is gonna give it enough sweetness if you want to shoot for…

As I said earlier it just may be necessary to use some sweetener. For my own personal I wouldn’t do it though. There’s a point that these sweet flavors are gonna start muting the mix so I try to keep it down. That’s why I say you might want to use a sweetener…

1 Like