Pink Grapefruit quest

MF have a grapefruit flavour, I’ve never tried it, but it’s almost certain to be astonishingly authentic, This could be the excuse you need to splash out on MF?
Thought I’d noticed an actual Pink Grapefruit on Nature’s Flavors site, and hey! sure enough:

I don’t know if they have that particular one at DIYVS, but you can check for youself, if interested
That said, that would make it a tad too easy, i guess? where would be the need for artistry? :laughing:

5 Likes

Thanks @anon84779643 appreciate your thoughts, that’s what I needed.

I was exactly thinking that , Pink Guava at 1% 1.2
Dragonfruit… it’s a good thought…

Yes but a shortcut is always welcome…:joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes

@jay210 I can promise, commercial juices, are always simple and easy. They won’t be buying a 30ml from MF as they do not and will not sell in barrels. Sometimes the best juices are the easiest ones, right under your nose. Gosh knows I have written and sold plenty of simple recipes :slight_smile:

Honestly, there is art music fashion or taste anywhere, one just has to think for themselves.
Remember to keep it all simple. Why pay shipping in 5-6 places (or more) when you can learn to work with what you have? They say I am limited lmao… mhmm… :partying_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunglasses:

7 Likes

You’re quite right I can definitely see my stash taking a direction (well over 300 flavs) towards FLV, MF, extracted, NET’s and so forth, and my mind is steering to KISS 4-5 flavours at most.
Limited?? :joy::rofl: All right, I’m limited too!
On the Italian site, I wrote an article about 3 flavours simple? recipes.
After that a newbie asked a: What can I make with my stash ? He has about 14/15 flavours not even closely related to each other…:joy:
So I did a small contest with all the users to show him that you don’t need 3000 flavours to make a good recipe… but 3 good ones and good pairing!

6 Likes

…and most of 'em are full of PG (especialty FLV) Actually, I’m rather glad that PG-sensitivity drove me to experiment with MF so early in my DIY journey, cos I’d surely have been put off by the cost otherwise. And MF really is keeping it simple, when you look what goes into the bottle.
We’re both working within our limitations, as it happens; yours self-imposed, I guess, mine otherwise. But, happily, I’m pretty sure there’s room in the world for both of us. And there’s definitely room in the DIY world for MF. Those flavours are phenomenally good.

@Iv3shf sorry for the jack, just couldn’t resist replying

5 Likes

Don’t worry Jay, open to discussion! Every opinion is more then welcome and appreciate!!!

6 Likes

Not too worried on the pg ingredient with flv… it’s so tiny, it actually does not bother me, and I am highly sensitive to pg in itself. :wink:

As far as MF tho… they are not manufactured or geared towards vaping, but if you like them/have them, then enjoy them… they are pretty strong, user beware… I have had a lot of them, but then I also do only ultra flavorings… so… I just know I got tired of buying flavors from everywhere, 5 or 6 times paying shipping, hunting for flavors when oos sucks and so I order direct… suits me just fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining where you’re coming from :slight_smile: and very glad that FLV are working for you. For myself I wouldn’t risk it.

They don’t , as yet, understand the biochemistry behind it, but for some allergy sufferers , continuous low-level exposure (like you’re giving yourself with FLV) works to desensitise them; and for others it has the reverse effect. For me, i’ve experienced the reverse effect way too often (with other triggers such as gluten) to want to take that chance with PG.

4 Likes

Who is “they”?

I know @Flavorah works with the best laboratories, including one here in the states that has over 150 years in flavoring experience. I will not tell you what to do or how to mix, but I can only share my experience. for many years, I was as max vg as possible. I still depend on the lab where I worked to supply me with things they have tested on me. Unfortunately, some of what I use is not available to the public yet, but I promise, “they” - the lab I work with, are working hard to find a better solution for us all.

As Flavorah states, they are The flavoring for vaping and yeah, I am proud of their efforts. More than welcome Jay… main thing is to have fun and enjoy what your taste buds will allow!

4 Likes

“They” means “Medical research scientists”, in that context. I was talking about allergic( and autoimmune) responses in general, not PG-sensitivity specifically. (though extrapolating a bit, ofc) I won’t pretend to understand everything I’ve read, but what i stated above comes through loud and clear, along with the fact that the underlying mechanisms are still not understood. (but for example , it’s thought that maybe IgG4 antibodies play a role in desensitising peanut allergy sufferers …when that actually works. But IgG4 antibodies are not well understood at all, and are known to cause autoimmune resposes in some people. To me- albeit merely an intelligent layperson - that looks like a promising line of enquiry, and it chimes with some things that an allergist told me, once )

Basically, i was rattling on about that, just because it seems counterintuitive to say that some folk become sensitised whilst others are desensitised by the same process ( continuing exposure to tiny quantities) , as I did. But it’s fact, and hopefully we (the human race that is) will soon know why.

My point was, really, that I guess that vaping tiny quantities of PG has probably desensitised you (or maybe had no effect whatsoever). But it’s all-too-likely that my PG reactions follow a different pathway, and I’d become sensitised instead (as that’s been my experience, in general, thus far). And that’s not an experiment I’d willingly undergo. No slur on FLV intended, as I hope is now obvious? ( I won’t eat gluten-free biscuits either, no slur against bakers, but they will put maize in them, and i also have reactions to maize.)

3 Likes

Jay, you are fine… it’s just like taste buds. I mix low because I know where I can taste what… you might find I am too light for your taste buds and want to raise flavors up more (even with MF I mix low… so no worries). I will not say that I have become desensitized, but with what I use, it helps me personally.

btw… I do not like gluten free either… give me my gluten!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish you the best, Jay… nothing like talking things out and seeing other points of view either… :wink:

5 Likes

sadly . i’ve just had to give up store-bought breads , pastries and biscuits altogether , same as with vapes
on the bright side, most of that gluten-free crap tastes dreadful, so i don’t miss it much :grinning:

(ummm, I just glanced at the thread title :face_with_hand_over_mouth: i guess we’d better let the Pink Grapefruit discussion resume now)

4 Likes

My grapefruit notes, FWIW.

CAPELLA

• Grapefruit

This is the weakest and the sweetest of the grapefruit flavors I tested. The big plus is that the sour flavor imparts the perception of a mild effervescence and a slightly tangy mouthfeel. That alone could make this grapefruit flavor a good addition to a grapefruit mix. Stronger flavors are needed for a full flavor but the perception of effervescence is a plus. The sweetness helps to give this a fuller bodied mouthfeel.

Wayne says, “This is the more “candied” version of the grapefruits. There’s not much of that bitter flavoring, but it makes up for it in its sweetness. It’s also a bit more bodied than FA and INW’s grapefruits, meaning it can hold up a bit better to heavier recipes than the others. That being said, it’s still quite light. But its presence, sweetness, and easier blending makes this my go to choice if I need to add some grapefruit accents into a mix, or if I want a full bodied grapefruit main profile that leans on the candy side. It holds itself better, imbues its grapefruit like flavor, and boosts the sweetness of any citrus or light fruit recipes you’d mix. I generally like to use this ingredient in these situations at around 5 - 6%, but if you’re using it as a main, feel free to take a bit higher.”

FLAVORAH

• Pink Guava

The only flavor I pick up is a bright delicious grapefruit. It is tart and fresh – luscious even! This is a delicious, slightly sweet fresh grapefruit. Some say they pick up lychee, pineapple, even strawberry but I tasted delicious sweet, not sour grapefruit. WONDERFUL!!! This captures the pleasant bitter flavor of the grapefruit, plus a whole lot of flavor. It is also juicy, a bonus in a grapefruit mix, with a full bodied mouth feel.

RunDastardly says, “a juicy, ripe, idealized pink grapefruit that has it’s own yummy wetness akin to INW Cactus (though it plays very well with Cactus at low % too!). It has something “extra” to it, but that adds to, rather than detracts from, it’s grapefruitiness. Strong as hell. Excellent stand-alone, but also works beautifully with any number of other fruits, especially other citrus & juicy tropical fruits like mango and pineapple.”

FLAVOUR ART

• Grapefruit

Authentic, natural grapefruit, light, tart, and a little bitter. It is thin, so doesn’t give any mouth feel but

the flavor is spot on natural grapefruit.

Wayne’s Notes: “This is the more authentic grapefruit of the bunch. It has such a natural quality about it, and this makes the flavoring an easy choice if you need an unadulterated grapefruit flavor. So for main profiles, this is usually what I enjoy using if I want a true to life grapefruit flavor. It’s a light flavoring (this is a pattern you’ll see in all of these ingredients) so using at 3-4% is not uncommon. But it’s refreshing, slightly tart and bitter, a bit more sweet than you’d think, and light on body. Lastly, it’s best used in more simple recipes when acting as a main profile. It really shines when it’s not crowded with other fruits distracting from its subtle accents. Keep things simple and light, and you’ll be just fine.”

FLAVOR WEST

• Ruby Red Grapefruit

Nice red grapefruit flavor. A little sweeter than Flavorah Pink Guava, and I honestly get more of a lush grapefruit aroma from Flavorah’s Pink Guava. This is really nice and if I had never tried Pink Guava, I would probably think this was the queen of grapefruit flavors. In a grapefruit blend, this flavor has its place. It has a sweet, tart balance and does taste like a real grapefruit. This is the sweet body of the grapefruit. For a grapefruit vape, use Pink Guava, Ruby Red, and White Grapefruit for a complete grapefruit flavor. This does impart some full bodied mouthfeel as it is not as thin as INW and FA.

ConcreteRiver says “Good, straight-forward, ruby red grapefruit juice. It’s sweet, a little tart, and right on target. This is what I’d pick up if I were to pick up just one grapefruit concentrate. I think this one blends the easiest with other fruit flavors and creams.”

INAWERA

• White Grapefruit

An authentic grapefruit flavor. This one has the zest. This one has the grapefruit juice flavor, for me. This is heavy on the bitter zest. There is some light sweetness here. It tastes like a white grapefruit, similar in taste to a ruby red. Perfect for adding a zest note to any fruit. This would be great with cranberry. Citric, bright, and tart. Thin in mouthfeel.

RunDastardly says, “A drier version of INW Grapefruit with much more peel. If INW Grapefruit is the pulp & juice, this is the zest. 0.25% or less adds a nice “twist” essence to a cocktail.” Wayne’s Notes: “This grapefruit is the lightest of the bunch (CAP, FA, & INW). But it packs the most tartness, bitterness, and citrus. So in situations where I want to boost the citrus in a recipe, boost its sour flavor, or add some interesting dimension, I’ll reach for this ingredient. This is because its flavor profile often gets a bit too hidden in recipes that have any kind of weight to it, but the tartness and citrus remain. It’s of the “white” grapefruit variety meaning there’s this refreshing, almost water-like, flavor to it in the top end. This can be further pushed by a touch of FA Cucumber. And when using as an accent or “enhancer”, I like to sit around 0.5 - 1.5%.”

• Yellow Grapefruit

This is an actual authentic grapefruit flavor. It is lightly sweet. This is the zest of the grapefruit, bright, citric, tart and somewhat bitter. I honestly don’t taste a lot of difference between this and the white, so consider them interchangeable in a recipe, though not as a stand-alone flavor. This flavor seems to be weaker than the White Grapefruit. Thin in mouthfeel.

7 Likes

Seems I need to add FW ruby red to the never ending wishlist.

6 Likes

Of course they’re worth and thank you for helping me and anybody else after me!
Very much in line with my thoughts for my final the Pink Grapefruit quest.
My line at the moment is a mix of White Grapefruit for the zest and citrus note and FLV Pink Guava at high percentage (2) for the sweet grapefruit side and a drop of ecto cooler (or Citrus mix -FA,) for the “Pink” orangey taste… Still in doubt about the saline/citric/sour… to give it a pop.

5 Likes

Looking forward to reading up on your progression / test results as well. Lots of people like grapefruit :wink:
I already picked a few recommendations here to go on my wishlist.

5 Likes

And then I found out that my son has got grapefruit FA… One more choice… but I stick to my line!

5 Likes

Following this one, haven’t tried grapefruit, but I would imagine it’s not the easiest to work with so. I’m keen to see how it all pans out.

4 Likes

think of the new bitters flv just released, and add pucker to it… perhaps 1-3 drops per 30ml of each :wink:

4 Likes

@anon84779643 as you usual you are right, it’s the bitter note that I’m worried about, that’s why I chose to pair the Pink Guava with the INW White Grapefruit… but probably will steer to use a drop of malic acid.
Next week I’ll receive my vape mail and see… your thoughts about P. Guava percentage?

3 Likes