PLEX... anyone?

We actually have an old computer set up as our plex server. With all the storage, downloading, streaming for 6, it was slowing his computer too much and kept crashing his games. I never used my tower anymore since I got my laptop, so he stole it from me :wink:

It also solved any occasional glitches with streaming as it’s dedicated and so it has no more drain from his other gaming and/or browsing.

3 Likes

Wow…so jelly!!!

OK, I actually just read the entire thread now instead of just the first couple posts. I’ll step right back on this one…he’s using my 6yo set up, so can’t even imagine how he’s got it working if all this stuff you guys is neccessary.

Needless to say I will not be letting him read over my shoulder on this thread…our income won’t support his drooling…lol

4 Likes

I realized long ago I am a collector and my biggest collection is my collection of collections.
My media server and NAS is no exception.
The NAS currently sits at 52 tb (4tb drives) but can be expanded to a slightly bigger storage of 144 tb if I were to change out to 8tb drives.

I really need to pull them out and give them all a good clean but it is a big ask since cable spaghetti behind the rack would take me a day.
I run Unraid for the NAS with 4 gigabit bonded nics.

A dedicated box (also with bonded nics) for Emby so it can transcode if required without having any affect on my pc. I have tested it it with 10 simultaneous transcodes and it handles it ok but it can serve up many more untranscoded streams should the need arise.

Shame the up speed on my internet is not super fast or it could support many more external streams. I have watched a movie streamed from home while on the beach in Bali which was pretty damn cool.

Down the bottom of the rack is a 3000 apc ups (there is usually 2 there but one is out and I am awaiting new battery packs). I can run all the stuff in the office for around 90 mins without power.

One thing I will stress when using any sort of raid setup is get a decent ups just incase you get a spike in the power supply or a power cut. Nas boxes do not like ungraceful shutdowns.

5 Likes

It’s official.

You. ARE. the Digital Pimp of at least two forums…
8acb1ca23e8aa9e584568005059ec8c3

Complete with the goldfish boots…

/bows down

4 Likes

I’m on it… thanks for the tip. Your setup is dreamy!

4 Likes

I see I made a few contradictions with how I plan to set things up. I plan on using the NAS for storage purposes only and the new pc will be my Plex Server so it’ll do all the heavy lifting… Sorry if I confused anyone

4 Likes

1 Like

I will at least have my primary pc, nas, modem, router and tv connected to this power backup… do you think this is okay for that… or overkill?

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1500MS/dp/B0779LDRWZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ups+apc+pro+1500&qid=1561035564&s=gateway&sr=8-3

2 Likes

Maybe a little but it will mean it will run things a little longer and then allow a clean shutdown - it is a good price.

@SessionDrummer would have a better idea about your NAS operating system but it most likely has ups monitoring built in which will monitor the power state of the ups over the network. You can then use that software as a master to gracefully shut down the other computers when the battery gets to a specified level and then shut the nas down gracefully - once the power suppy is back then you can set the nas and other computers to restart automatically.

I have my nas set to the monitor the ups and I use a small daemon called apcupds to monitor the power state that the ups supplies directly to the nas on all the windows machines.

http://www.apcupsd.org/

It just sits in the task area this is the info it has when expanded.

3 Likes

I like how you think @woftam

@Pro_Vapes

Local UPS Support

For details regarding hardware installation, please consult the user manual of your UPS device. Once installation is complete, and the Synology NAS has been plugged into the UPS device, you can follow the steps below to enable UPS support.

To enable local UPS support:

1. Connect the UPS device to a USB port of the Synology NAS.
  2. On the UPS tab, check the Enable UPS support checkbox.
  3. Select when the Synology NAS should enter Safe Mode after power failure occurs.
  4. Choose whether or not to send a shutdown signal to the UPS device when the system enters Safe Mode. Most UPS devices can automatically turn on when power is restored.
  5. Click Apply .

SNMP UPS Support

Your Synology NAS also supports connecting to SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) UPS devices. For details regarding hardware installation, please consult the user manual of your SNMP UPS device. Once the Synology NAS has been plugged into the device and connected to the same network, you can follow the steps below to enable UPS support.

To enable SNMP UPS support:

1. On the UPS tab, check the Enable UPS support checkbox.
  2. Select SNMP UPS from the Network UPS type drop-down menu.
  3. In the SNMP UPS IP address field, enter the IP address of the SNMP UPS device.
  4. Select when the Synology NAS should enter Safe Mode after power failure occurs.
  5. Enter the community string for the SNMP UPS device into the SNMP community field.
  6. Click Apply .

Note:

• It is strongly recommended to use SNMP UPS for Synology High Availability (SHA) deployments.
  • Synology NAS supports SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c UPS devices.

Network UPS Support

If there are two Synology products using a UPS device with a single USB port, then only one Synology NAS can obtain information regarding the status of the UPS device. In this case, one Synology NAS can act as a “network UPS server” and connect to the UPS device via USB or network (depending on the device). The network UPS server obtains UPS information and relays it to the other “client” Synology NAS.

To enable network UPS support:

1. Log into the Synology NAS that is connected to the UPS device (via USB or network). If local UPS support has not been enabled on this Synology NAS yet, please see the section above.
  2. On the UPS tab, check the Enable network UPS server box to allow the Synology NAS to relay UPS information to the client Synology NAS.
  3. Click the Permitted Synology NAS Devices button.
  4. On the window that appears, enter the IP addresses of the other Synology NAS that is using the UPS device, but not connected via USB or the network. Click OK .
  5. Click Apply to save settings.

Now the network UPS server can obtain UPS information and relay it to the other Synology NAS that is using the UPS device. Please see the instructions below to enable UPS support on the other Synology NAS.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot… U Friggin’ Guys are AWESOME! I appreciate the help and advice!

UPS Ordered!!!

4 Likes

I assume you meant, 40Mbit/s here or it is not enough.
I could see 40Mbit and 40MB as perfectly defensible stream rates depending on usecase, with the second one more on the high side.

2 Likes

This bits bytes thing sometimes confuse me, but I have hit download speeds of over 250 mbps for some speed tests. I get this with a very busy home network today… Downloading from torrent sites and transferring files to my NAS.

2 Likes

@Pro_Vapes

One megabyte is equal to eight megabits , but the terms are used in specific ways: Megabits per second (mbps) are generally used to describe the speed of an Internet connection, whereas megabytes ( MB ) usually refer to the size of a file or storage space.

3 Likes

I just read this thread and wish i understood 25pct of it… I pay close to 300$ a month for internet and cable through Comcast / Xfinity … Is doing all this stuff a savings in the long run. ???

3 Likes

It is your uplink that is the issue here if you are streaming to a device from you home system then it will soak the connection at around 2.75 MB/s which is not a huge amount you can find out the MB/s of any given movie file by using mediainfo (plex may also have the info on the movie details page)

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

As you can see that particular movie is about 12.5 Mb/s so it would have to be transcoded to a lower rate for it to stream without buffing stops from your home to a device (it would likely have to change the audio stream to a different codec as well)

3 Likes

My internet upload speed sux for sure, but my in home network transfers over 100 MBs from my Nas to PC. So that shouldn’t be an issue unless I stream to the internet. I got my new Dell pc a short while ago and tested the in home network transfer speed and it should feed Plex at a decent rate.

Here’s a snapshot of nas to pc transfer speed.

2 Likes

It’s entertainment for me. I shouldn’t have bought a 4K tv. I’m thirsting for 4k content and there ain’t a lot of it out there yet.

3 Likes

Ya your internal network speed is no problem at all just as you say if you want to stream outside the home network.

4 Likes

I always feel for the free market enthusiasts of the USA regarding internet service.
Mine is 30ish euros a month, 1Gbit both ways and comes with TV and telephone line included.
22mbit is borderline for HD, bluray is around 50, online streaming from 10 but realistically closer to 20

5 Likes