Preferred steeping method?

I’m horrendously impatient when awaiting a new mix to finish steeping. I’m too stingy to splurge on an ultrasonic cleaner and too busy to bother babysitting bottles in a double boiler. My solution? Walk around with the bottle in my pocket all day. The heat from your legs and pants keeps it nice and warm and the movement constantly agitates the liquid. Two days of this with a new mix and voila; ready to vape.

Call me crazy…

11 Likes

Yup.
You’re crazy.
Well no, stirring it is good, and a little warmth, eh.
But a couple weeks to a month in a dark closet can’t be beat.
Heating it in a crock pot, leaving the top off, putting it on your dashboard in the summer, hot water baths, all that stuff just degrades the mix that you so lovingly created from a recipe you are fortunate to have. The best way for the flavors to marry is time. It’s a reaction of chemicals that aren’t ingredients like food, but more a scientific formula. So shaking it like a martini or whipping it like heavy cream or cooking it like a lasagna or wrapping it in swaddling clothes like a baby just makes YOU feel good.
Store it away and give it a shake now and then.
You’ll end up with a proper formula.

13 Likes

Mix more stuff. Eventually, you have so much stock that steeping time becomes less relevant than shelf time.
I force myself to try new mixes early to see how much steep they require!

14 Likes

There are ways. But they are not inexpensive. 99.9% of the DIY mixing community is best served by shelving the mix until it fully homogenizes.

Edited to add- Until now!!!

As for your pocket method… the heat is not enough to make a difference, but the extra shaking never hurt anyone. But it isn’t really going to shave months or weeks off. However, if you like it, and it works for you, carry on!

10 Likes

Yeah I tried the hot water bath, didn’t work out well for me!

9 Likes

That’ll teach ya! :rofl: Just put it in a cupboard and wait… plan your mixing sessions so you always have enough in storage, never run out so you don’t need to speed steep.

10 Likes

@anon28032772. Haha :joy: yeah n00bie mistake, thought I’d share it, think I’ll take your advice from now on! thanks

7 Likes

That doesn’t mean boiling hot. Regardless, best not to use heat at all. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

oh wow. how hot was it?

5 Likes

@delltrapp Too Hot! but not boiling water, maybe cheap bottles, 2 other bottles came out ok but they were full, this one only had 10ml in it.

5 Likes

It does make me feel pretty good.

I’ve got two bottles of a new recipe that have been sitting for about 3 weeks in a box and I haven’t touched them, just anxiously awaiting that 30 day mark.

However, I live in MA. So while I would normally be purchasing e-liquid from a store while I wait for my mixes to steep, I am now having to mix juice for myself and my girlfriend and my friends all while still in the midst of experimenting and learning.

6 Likes

I don’t know what kind of flavors you have and how many, but try to get a few simple flavors made that you can get in your pipeline so you have something to vape in the in between times. I don’t know if I’m unique in this aspect, but I like to have several flavors going at once, it keeps me interested and entertained.
As far as mixing for friends?
If they start to get unappreciative and demanding, tell them that you’re nearly out of bottles and nicotine, and see if maybe they can kick in for supplies. They’ll get either appreciative or helpful.

7 Likes

Time! mix it shake it set a reminder in Google put in drawer forget about it problem solved.

7 Likes

HA, Easy for you to say!!! I just don’t want to. So there. :lying_face: Too bad, there isn’t an emoji with a lower lip sticking out.

6 Likes

Love it!!! Wait until you have like five or six in your pocket.

" Is that e-liquid in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" :innocent:

10 Likes

I just bought my first 500ml concentrate bottle lol
That’s the kinda planning I am talking about :we_need_more_emojis:
Actually, that’s for a friend who keeps vaping the same liquid over and over again (and he vapes a lot), but yeah, can’t leave him without juice.

6 Likes

Funny, I do the exact same thing for a friend except I use Mason Jars. LOL

6 Likes

I mix 50 ml and keep it in my pocket. This way I can taste it as a shake and vape and how it develops.

5 Likes

I prefer to NOT steep. I have the GAME CHANGER!!! WOOHOO!!!

11 Likes

Easier said than done

5 Likes