Profile RDA users help!

I have a new toy obviously the Profile mesh rda. Here’s the issue it’s been working well no leaks but as time went on it got to point I was dripping it or squonking it every third hit because it was dry hitting. It’s on a Vandy Vape pulse at 40 watts. I changed the cotton and reduced it buy 25% on the thickness and really thinned out the ends so it might wick better. I love this RDA the flavour is great…any personal experiences that might help me tame this beast :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes. It’s simple. You need to drip or squonk more. It’s going to get dryer somewhat faster but more importantly you have a higher likelyhood of a dry hit because there is more surface area equaling a higher chance that part of the wick is dry.

That’s why, if you watch YouTube reviews you them squeezing the bottle every other pull

9 Likes

Yeah, I think you’re right it’s juice monster …i watched them didn’t notice the excessive squonking…doh!

5 Likes

Wick it with rayon. You will learn pretty fast to squonk or drip more often. A dry hit from rayon on a normal coil is quite the experience, I can’t imagine how horrific it would be with a Profile.

10 Likes

Rayon really…ok I’ll think about that. So far I’ve reduced to 38 watts squonking more no dripping and its doing well. Time will tell =|

4 Likes

Of all the fiber, rayon - also called viscose or rayon viscose - is probably one of the more perplexing to customers. It can be found in cotton-like end uses, as well as sumptuous velvets and taffetas. It may function successfully in absorbent hygiene and incontinence pads.
Diaper vape yikes!

6 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t resist =) I did make some juice that tasted like poo maybe that would be a good combo

5 Likes

Actually, one more (sorry) If you get a big dry hit off the Profile you’re gonna need a diaper cause you’re gonna crap your pants it’s so bad =)

5 Likes

This is what I’ve been doing for the past two months and I’ve got 4 of them running everyday.

5 Likes

I use rayon. A dry hit is unique, nasty and brutish.

5 Likes

The guy that first come up with using rayon is wick pulled some of it out of a melitonin pill bottle. And that is supposed to be the premium of rayon. After that a source that comes from some sort of tampon is the second best.

From all I’ve heard, Chris is correct. You have to drip and squonk it constantly. Rayon won’t stop dry hits, but it damn sure might break you from letting it go dry, lol.

4 Likes

I only wick with rayon have been for over a year love it

6 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb and say with the Profile, some people who think they’re getting dry hits aren’t, but are actually experiencing hot spots on the mesh. Oh I do agree with the idea of squonking more often than a regular coil RDA, but every other hit? Nahh. I’ve had the hot spot issue myself, and that can happen even though the design of the Profile is made with that spring thing to keep the wick pushed against the mesh. I found my own problem with that. When you pull the cotton through , it’s best to pull it back the other direction slightly. Do this a couple of times. This evens out the amount of cotton which causes more even pressure from the spring loaded thing. Seems a little convoluted I’m sure, but I found this to be my own issue.

You can test if this is your problem by pulling the drip tip and pulsing. If you see any glow (it will happen even with saturated wick) then you have a hot spot which means uneven pressure on the wick. Pulses only need to be about 1 second for the dragon’s breath to appear.

So last week I had taken my Profile out for a drive. I had it on my Topside Dual. We rode around a bit and when I came back home and sat at my desk, I grabbed it for a nice big pull. Took about a 0.005 second hit, which was twice as long as I should have. What had happened is when I was walking back into the house, I inadvertently was holding down the + button. The mod goes to 200 watts. After i hacked up a lung, kidney, spleen and 2 other organs yet to be identified, I looked and the mod was at 193 watts. Guess what? Yes, I now lock those damn buttons when using the Profile. And they say we southerners are slow learners!

13 Likes

I have no issue with rayon, I use it myself.

I’m just saying, rayon won’t stop dry hits, but it damn sure break the habit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Make sure your mesh strip didn’t distort when wicking… and it’s still properly formed. I started to get more hot spots in the center after a couple days so I added an extra spring in it. Seems to have done the trick. I usually get about 6 or so pulls @ 60-70 watts.

Wicking process is fairly straightforward… just cut the wicks at a 45* angle, tuck and go!

4 Likes

So an update. Since yesterday I rewicked it with slightly less cotton, and checked for hotspots at the same time…all good. Changed from 40 watts to temp control right now its at 473° F. 1.7 ohms and no dripping just squonking the crap of it. No dry hits…well one but I was hammered so it doesn’t count =\

5 Likes

Still thinking about rayon (Rex in the store reading the box of every feminine hygiene product…“Damn that’s cotton, Damn, Damn…wheres the rayon one?”
An afterthought I googled it…nearly every single one is made of rayon
JACKPOT!

3 Likes

I’ve had 1 dry hit from my Profile using those shoelace wicks from Wotofo. It’s not something I ever want to experience again! I did learn a trick for wicking it tho you all may already know it. As you pass the wicking through use a small tip like on tweezers to hold that springy deck down. It helps pass the wick through easier and minimizes distorting the mesh. Once the wick is in place let up on the spring and it will push that shit tight against the mesh.
Since doing that I can go about 4-5 days until a hot spot appears.

8 Likes

this may help ya find brands, often called diff. things ie. viscoe Wicking with rayon

6 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Professional-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon/dp/B00PBGJT5A

amazon rocks! I’m going rayon baby!

6 Likes