Properly storing nicotine

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/nic-base-storage-freezer-vs-room-temp-experiment.791603/

34 pages of discussion on the subject, with pictures.

Mine is staying in the freezer.

5 Likes

I have always practiced the tried and true method. (Freezing) I have never had a bottle anything less than perfectly clear, even after over a year and a half. I know many here keep it much longer. The only thing I have ever noticed was a slight harshness comparing my older frozen bottles to my fresh unfrozen ones.
It is nothing to me to order nicotine more often if I feel it’s better. And if it becomes hard to obtain I know how to store it if need be.

(I have not yet determined not freezing to be any better)

5 Likes

A (possible) “silver lining” surrounding the oxidation of Nicotine (and subsequent consumption thereof).

Folks may already be familiar with this - while the hypothesis may well not pertain to the aesthetic elements of vaping, the pharmacological effects related to Nicotine absorbed appear to be potentially significant (and beneficial) where it comes to the pharmacokinetics of absorbed Nicotine (with some possible down-sides where efficiency of hepatic detoxification of certain specific toxins is concerned). An interesting subject.

Electronic Cigarettes: The Nicotyrine Hypothesis (2015)

Nicotyrine forms by the gradual oxidation of nicotine in e-liquids exposed to air. E-cigs aerosolize nicotyrine along with nicotine. … We propose that first and second generation e-cigs deliver nicotine most effectively when aerosolized nicotyrine facilitates absorption of aerosolized nicotine through airways by reversibly inhibiting airway epithelial CYP2A13, and then substantially slows hepatic nicotine clearance by irreversibly inhibiting CYP2A6. Using e-liquids with high nicotine and nicotyrine concentrations therefore may lead to higher and more sustained serum levels of nicotine, compared to e-liquids with high nicotine and low nicotyrine levels. In contrast to conventional thinking about e-cigs, this hypothesis anticipates that nicotyrine is not an incidental contaminant, but an important component in many e-cig aerosols that successfully deliver nicotine to users. …

… The hypothesis could succinctly explain the seemingly contradictory observations described above. Investigators testing e-cigs in controlled studies are almost certain to have acquired new devices and e-liquids rather than aged e-liquids. New e-cigs containing new e-liquid would not deliver nicotine very effectively to smokers, but vapers using their own refillable e-cigs would use partially oxidized solutions that co-deliver nicotyrine and nicotine. The hypothesis would explain why new e-liquids and disposable e-cigs are initially unsatisfying and why so many vapers report a ‘‘learning curve’’ lasting several days. It also could explain the popularity of deliberate aging of e-liquids by vendors and steeping by vapers seeking ‘‘to improve the flavor’’: these activities must oxidize some nicotine prior to vaping.

Nicotine:
Nicotine

Nicotyrine:
Nicotyrine

(2018): E-cigarette coil temperatures (200-300 °C) favored the formation of nicotyrine: E-cigarette vaping generated 2- to 63-fold more nicotyrine per unit nicotine emission than conventional cigarette smoking. High nicotyrine emission from e-cigarettes indicates that nicotine metabolism could be potentially interrupted, which could lead to reduced e-cigarette usage, and result in lower exposures to toxic chemicals (e.g., formaldehyde and acetaldehyde). However, higher serum nicotine levels might increase cancer risks by stimulating nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAchRs).

Image source here.

4 Likes

Very interesting read, thanks.

3 Likes

Indeed. One wonders to what extent the oxidation (in part) of Nicotine to Nicotyrine may (possibly) enter into the myriad of impressions surrounding the “aging” of e-juices (or just Nicotine in PG or VG solution alone). The problem with analysis of the Nicotyrine relation seems to be that there are so many different possible interactions and reactions between various components of e-juice over time and temperature that aesthetic elements of “taste” seem by nature “cloudy”. As well, the pharmacology of Nicotine in an individual is a hard thing to get a meaningful anecdotal reporting handle on. In both cases, the variations of perceived “taste” as well as effects of Nicotine can vary significantly throughout the course of one’s waking/vaping day. Aesthetic experiences are ever varying things that (like consciousness) we can only experience in the singular, and never the plural, sense. Thus, much like visual or auditory aesthetics, these experiences remain implicitly subjective (as well as variable, even in the individual case). Generalizations are potentially misguided. The best that I’ve been able to do is to slowly gain a “bio-averaged” feel for this or that set of parameter values.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I re-read the above discussion. Hmmm

2 Likes

Whew. I am impressed and slight confused with the different, very intelligent, words. Guess I’ll assume the meaning based on context.
I like to keep mine in the freezer. I do not split it up when I buy big bottles (haven’t had troubles yet). I also take the bottle out to sit overnight(I use VG based nic)
I have 2 15ml glass bottles of nic sitting out at all times. It will always amaze me how many roads there are that lead to the same destination! Good read!

6 Likes

We presume that other concentrations of Nicotine in solution (would) be similarly affected. Melting points:

Nicotine: approximately -79 *C (-110 *F)

Propylene Glycol: approximately -60 *C (-76 *F)

Glycerin: approximately 18 *C (64 *F)

My (old-fashioned cooled by upper freezer-box) refrigerator likely gets a bit colder than the (water) freezing temperature - but I would bet that my 100mg/ml Nicotine suspended in 100%PG is not coming anything close to “freezing” (solidifying). In fact, when I shake the sealed containers, the contents are definitely in a liquid phase. Thus, (at least in the case of Nicotine in 100% PG), no such “freeze/thaw events” would appear at all likely to be occuring. Barring a much colder environment (ie, liquid Nitrogen cooling), I am not concerned.

Here is one particular scenario to likely be avoided (that is possible with close to pure Glycerol, anyway):

Crystalline Glycerol:
In spite of the tendency of glycerol to supercool, it can be crystallized by the use of seed crystals, or by cooling to -50 °C or below, and then slowly warming to about 0 °C. Approximately one day is required for crystallization to be completed. The crystals are orthorhombic and very deliquescent.

Below are a couple of graphics showing Viscosity (of Glycerol, as well as various Gylcols, including PG):

Source: Search | Dow Inc.

Having a rough look at ~86 *F (~30 *C), Glycerol has ~17 times the Viscosity that Propylene Glycol has.

I find mentions of shelf-life (under 40 *C) of ~2 Years for VG, and for PG (which should be less reactive).

4 Likes

I use VG based nic and it never actually freezes in my freezer.
I have used nic from my freezer that was over 3 years old and it was perfect, as if it was brand new.
No science involved in my statement, just my own experience.

7 Likes

Hiliq’s recommended storage temp is 3C to 8C.

2 Likes

With liquid Nitrogen systems, Glycerol lattices sporting levorotatory Nicotine molecules having methyl groups uniformly aligned to magnetic North can reliably provide consistently better than perfect results:

:nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’m not even going to try to understand the science bit, and definitely don’t understand “better than perfect”, surely that’s a contradiction in terms, but what do I know, I’m just a reasonably normal human. :wink:

3 Likes

Similar to “beyond infinity”. Certain ultra-superlative descriptive phrases roll off tongues held firmly in cheeks

Just figured that in a world where folks inhale “Unicorn Puke” and “Titty Sprinkles” there exists room for mirth

:smiley:

3 Likes

That is a problem…there is divergent views on proper storage of nicotine. Nudenicotine says freezer, below -20C, while VaporsTec says absolutely do not store in a freezer. Considering even those who manufacture it has varied opinions, how are we to know what is best? I do not know if it is a case of 1 of them being wrong, or it not really mattering. I still have some 100mg/ml base bought in 2014 and it is only slightly yellowed, but has always been refrigerated. I have some NudeNicotine armor V1, and V3…both in freezer. I also have some VT 100mg/ml coming which I will refrigerate. The 2014 years juice was from MyFreedomSmokes, and I just made some juice from it last week. I will store some multiple ways as part of my Vape Apocalypse plans.

3 Likes

One way we can know is through the experience of others, after all it’s one of the best ways to learn anything. A lot of us here have been storing nic in freezers without any problems. I’ve got bottles that are two+ years in the freezer and when I pull one out, it is just the same as the day I put it in there. That’s how I know.

5 Likes

@sarge12 I just pulled out a 500ml bottle of VG nic 72mg/ml last weekend that has been in the freezer for 2.5 years. It’s in perfect condition.
If you freeze your nic, I do recommend to store it in amber glass bottles. Avoid PET or other plastic storage containers.

3 Likes

Yes it does become a bit confusing doesn’t it.
For me I work on the principle that unopened it goes in the fridge, once opened it goes in the freezer.
YMMV of course.

2 Likes

I strongly agree.

I’m still pulling down 100mg nic that’s been stored going on 4 years now (in the freezer) and there’s no noticeable change.

I’ve been mixing it at 3mg for the first couple years, and 2mg for the last year+. I don’t know if there would be any change for someone mixing at higher levels. But that’s my experience.

6 Likes

First things first, welcome to ELR @sarge12, and secondly, ANY planning ahead you can do, is always great. I’m back to purchasing my NIC only from NN, and having gone through countless liters of freebase, Armor 1, 2, and 3, I have always kept them in the freezer, broken down into amber 60-120ml bottles with good caps, and just cannot complain.

On a SIDE NOTE, one thing I WOULD like to caution EVERYONE reading this thread, especially if they are breaking down their NIC into smaller glass bottles (the best way to add years of life), is to ALWAYS leave some headspace on their smaller bottles. While NOT wanting to delve into the whole, “NIC, PG, and VG don’t freeze in the freezer” debate, I CAN say that I was actually able to POP a few tops off, and crack/shatter a few on one of my liter breakdowns. The NIC was chilly out of the freezer, and I was breaking down into bottles, capping as I went. Obviously the NIC and PG were warming to room temp, and before I could get the whole batch done, a few of the caps POPPED OFF, broken, and as I was scrambling to figure out what was going on, slid two bottles into each other with a nice CLINK, and one shattered. NOW, this CLEARLY shows, that SOMETHING was increasing pressure wise inside my bottles AS the NIC/PG was warming. This came as somewhat of a shock as I had already broken down countless liters before with no issue. Now I ALWAYS leave at least a 1/2" airgap (headspace) in every bottle.

12 Likes