Question about e-liquid-recipes.com

I too agree that users should be able to rate their own recipes. I don’t go by that alone though. I go by the creator’s comments more than anything. Alisa taught me that on my very first published recipe which (was a flop by the way). I rated it a 4. But after trying some better recipes and getting a better understanding of what is good and what is not I would probably rate it a 2 or possibly a 3.

So that is why I read the comments. Don’t feel bad if your recipes don’t have comments. We post recipes to share with others. But there are thousands of recipes here. To get just one person to try your recipes out takes time. Plus there is the whole steeping issue. Most of my recipes take a few weeks to mature. I wouldn’t want someone commenting on a recipe of mine if they haven’t tasted the finished result.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly disagree…creators should “not” be able to rate their own recipes…it only skews top ranking results…
@ Big_Benny_MI fuckin A…everything you said brother…I find a grip of 5 star ratings with no comments what so ever and I guess that’s the rub

I do too. Helps me to remember.

Not like they win a prize for it or anything. I like that they can rate them. If they don’t rate it I usually just think they consider it a work in progress. I might look through it, but unless it really looks interesting I try to find other tested recipes. If I like a recipe by a user it also helps me look through the rest of their contributions to see which ones they thought worthy of mixing. For example, take a look at Lars page. Of four pages of recipes two pages are unrated. And of the other two pages many of those are not rated five star. Those probably won’t be the ones I start with.

Keep in mind that there is only one rating system. Some members have hundreds of recipes. They should have an ability to rank their own recipes in their personal recipe books. If they share that recipe the rating is also shared. I wouldn’t think it a good thing to take away that ability for those who are actively contributing just so those that don’t contribute have an easier time. I think the real issue is too many people consume recipes and don’t rate and comment, not that creators can give a rating.

P.S. I have ten different recipes from other users steeping in my stash. The first thing I plan to do after vaping each one is to rate and comment.

3 Likes

I like you. :smiley: heheh

When I implement batch control, people will get an email reminder after X days of mixing, to please comment and rate the recipe ;D

7 Likes

That will be AWESOME @daath

If I make someone’s recipe the way they have it shared, or have used their suggested alterations, I try to remember to go back and rate it. I am currently vaping @DarthVapor’s flavors he sent me in the gift exchange and I have gone back and rated every one I have tried. I have 2 left to go that I am tasting right now. It is a bit of a process because when I rate others’ recipes I always recoil and rewick if the coil is old. Otherwise I at least rewick. The thing though is most recipes I have adapted. I have adapted so heavily I don’t think it would be right to go back and make a comment on the original. Some recipes I have changed every flavor. So you see my dilema.

1 Like

Not a dilema. Those would just be considered inspiration for your own recipes. Just give credit where credit is due, and constructive, useful criticism where it can help. Never hurts on those you really love to go back and tell them they inspired you to try xyz changes to it either.

1 Like

Seriously…“easier time”…wtf is that supposed to mean? You know…so anti this establishment

maybe I’m misaligned…I thought this site was supposed to help all of us rookies unabated…

I’m not trying to be confrontational…but it’s coming across as such…sorry

It’s not meant to be argumentative. I mean there are many ways to find what you’re looking for that might provide the type of results you seek. They may just take a little extra effort.

An example is the “what can I make” function. If you have already purchased flavors, try putting them in your flavor stash then clicking the what can i make button. I find this infinitely more useful than any rating system ever would be. And you don’t have to own the flavors to add them to your flavor stash.

I don’t think you’re misaligned. Rookie’s are readily welcomed here. Everyone here was one once. I would say asking questions in a thread would get you a lot of help. This is a very friendly community that is willing to lend all kinds of help. If you prefer to just lurk and do it all on your own it may not seem as helpful though. Give it a try, you just might like it.

Think of the site as a living breathing community rather then a top 100 recipe book and I think you’ll see what I mean.

Bottom line is I think the site serves users of all levels extremely well. But like many things until we learn how to use it or navigate, it can be frustrating as hell. I’m here to lend a hand for you anytime you ask though.

2 Likes

Benny…I get it…and I want to be a part…
I have found some extraordinary recipes on here…
Thank you for your candor and advice…

3 Likes

You’ve already taken the first step to learning this site by finding and posting in the forums. This is where you’ll gain the knowledge. The recipes are just a portion of the knowledge there is to be shared.

I do hope you’ll enjoy it here. I just joined in October so I’m a rookie myself. But I now think of this as the best place on the web, period.

4 Likes

Good point. Just like daath’s Smooth Morning Kick. I made that and per his recommendation to try caramel or coconut, I used both. And the juice is an ADV for me now. I have made a bunch of it and have taken a bottle with me to work numerous times. It’s great on my 70 mile drive to the shop. I have commented accordingly :wink: Others that have recipes that have inspired me would be a complicated mess to figure out. Because I look at numerous recipes and take tidbits from each to build on, Like the pairing of a couple flavors. Then I find a similar pairing used with a cream or a custard. Usually this is all in my head. So going back after I have waited a few weeks and try to figure out what recipes I was looking at may be a bit of a problem.

3 Likes

Since I adapt all my recipes I always have the “recipe adapted from” button to go back and find it to rate and comment. I can edit to my hearts content after but I still have the button.

Not saying it’s a solution for you, but it makes it easy for me.

3 Likes

I use that too. But I have only actually mixed a few recipes that way. I have a lot I have adapted and just stuck in my list to mix some day. But I have actually only mixed 3 or 4 recipes from here.

I would rate all my mixes a 3-4 if I posted them. I think a personal rating is a good spot to start at. Then with all the feedback from people would help take them all to 4-5.

Maybe someday I will post my recipies, but I am not ready yet.

6 Likes

Welcome. I’m glad that you are starting to pick up the vibe here. Just like @Big_Benny_MI said, this is THE BEST place on the internet without any qualifications. The people here are the best, you probably would not believe the generosity that I have seen in my few months here. Look around here for arguments. What you will find is very similar to this thread: folks working it out civilly and maturely. It’s beautiful for me to behold and I mean that seriously. Freaking @bradslinux is making drip tips and contributing what would be his profit to the forum, without solicitation! This is a crazy place man, crazy good.

As for recipes, I think you will see that this is not a competition. It is not a top 100 recipes site. This is a place where everyone is trying to learn and do their best and help others do the same. So the ratings may not have the significance you feel they should. BUT, that’s how we roll. I hope you’ll find it useful in your own way. Again, welcome aboard. I don’t have the stuff to mix your recipe. But if you’d like someone to give it a go there are some very nice folks on here with a lot of flavors that might.

9 Likes

There is a number by the stars rating. That’s the number of folk that have rated the recipe. Does that help?

2 Likes

WOOT!! That would be awesome!~

4 Likes