RealFlavor PDO Flavoring Tests

$3 an ounce…ouch! :pensive: I think I’ll be sticking to my 35 cents (or less) an ounce PG and VG for now. But, it’s good that they are offering the product for sale anyway. Seems like the vendors for PDO, at the moment, are slim pick’ins. :triumph:

2 Likes

Trust me if I could, I would also stick with PG/VG mix but my sensitivity to PG is getting much more sever. 100% VG mixing has been very difficult for me anyway so this may end up the only alternative I have.

4 Likes

I’m glad it’s available for those that need it! :grinning: Hopefully, its popularity will decrease pricing over time. :+1:

2 Likes

I have a Strawberry & Cinnamon Roll mix in the works on a max VG and VaporBase 15ml batches.

They are on a two week steep, three days to go.

3 Likes

I also truly hope it gains popularity but I wonder how many folks vaping are truly sensitive to PG. It is something I have struggled with from day 1 vaping and one of the reasons I went to mixing my own.

I think a lot of the smokers that try vaping and can not handle it are sensitive to PG. I know a couple of people I tried to help were not able to handle any juice that had more than 15 or 20% PG myself included.

Now I am forced to keep it below 10% and that is a challenge without the use of VG flavorings. Even at 10% by the end of the day it is bothering me so I have very high hopes for PDO but only time will tell. This is why I have been so vocal about straight PDO being made available. I tried the vapor base but was not impressed with it at all. I just found it to be way to thin for my liking.

I also can not handle many of the fruit flavors very well. This makes my options very limited. Some kind of cinnamon bakery type flavor has always been my go to vape to crush the urge to smoke.

5 Likes

I haven’t tried VB myself, but it sounds like I’d like it, if it’s rather thin. Typically, I mix 40PG/60VG or 50PG/50VG, so my juice is rather thin. Many of my tanks are “circa last year”, so the juice channels are rather small; perfect for thin juice.

Have you ever embraced the thought of tobacco mixes or NET liquids for your tobacco urge? I have a Virginia tobacco NET, made by steeping the tobacco in VG that is super tasty. I mix it with a tiny bit of EM and INW biscuit; call it my “Virginia Butter Cookie”. Very nice to have first thing in the morning when I want that full flavor tobacco kick with my first cup of coffee! :kissing_heart::dash:

1 Like

Yes I did do tobacco mixes but never tried NET. In the very beginning it was a tobacco vape that got me off of the cigarettes originally. Back then I could tolerate 30/70 blends without issues. As time went on and my sensitivity to PG got worse it seems that no matter what I tried with tobacco flavors none of it was very good at lower levels of PG. I was still able to tolerate 20% PG when I found a cinnamon vape that worked for me. For about a year this was what did it for me but mixed at MAX VG.

cuttwood sugar bear clone : Check cookies

4.8% Cinnamon Danish Swirl (CAP)
8% Cinnamon Roll (FW)
1% Ethyl Maltol 10%
3.2% Sugar Cookie (CAP)

Flavor total: 17%
Remember to rate it at: Check cookies

Keep in mind my wife still smokes, she has tried to switch to vaping several times but it is just not for her. A little over 2 months ago my PG sensitivity got to the point everything I was vaping chocked me up and made my chest hurt worse than when I was smoking 2 to 3 packs a day.

I ordered a bunch of RF VG based flavorings including every one of them that had even a hint of cinnamon. I have liked several of them a lot but none so far have replaced the ADV I listed above.

About a month ago I gave into the urge to return to smoking while I was attempting to develop a new ADV with less than 10% PG that would crush that urge. I did not quit trying to vape I just added smoking a few during the course of the day when the urge got the best of me. I hate even admitting this but I am not going to lie about either.

About a week ago I tried a mixture of 2 RF flavors that were mixed as single flavors and well steeped individually. I thought to myself this is getting very close but it still needed something. After racking my brain about what would take it over the top I thought about my second favorite vape.

Bust-a-Nut : Check cookies

3% Bavarian Cream (FW)
4% Butter Pecan (FW)
7% Hazelnut (FW)
5% Sweet Cream (FW)
1% Sweetener (Sucralose) (FW)

Flavor total: 20%

My next thought was the pecan flavor in this might be the answer. I contacted @Alisa for her recommendation on how much to try. Well a couple of message later she had not only shared here recommendation but also came up with a totally different approach to the cinnamon flavor thing. Flavorah Rich Cinnamon. It turns out I had that so I combined what I had left of the 2 single flavor mixes of the RF VG flavors together and added the amount she had suggested to that mix. The next day I could already tell this was heading in the right direction. I am vaping on the last tank of that mix right now but I have a 150ml batch made up and steeping and will experiment with that more in a couple weeks.

So now with all of that off my chest I would also like to point out that I tried all the normal recommendations most would suggest for someone having the issues I am. I increased nic levels I tried VG and just nic. I tried many single flavors 1 at a time to see if they contributed to the sensitivity. Trust me my issue is PG and most fruit flavors.

I am all ears for recipe ideas moving forward that do not involve noticeable amounts of PG or fruit flavorings and cinnamon seems to be the required flavor for me. Now might be a good time to summons @Amy2 to this.

My equipment and wicking methods can handle 100% VG juices I have just not been able to get close to something that would work on my own so far.

Here is what has gotten me the closest so far, I just made it public so everyone could have a look.

My Cinnamon Treat 2 : Check cookies

6% Cinnamon Donut (Real Flavors)
5% Cinnamon Roll (Real Flavors)
1.5% Marshmallow (FW)
0.15% Rich Cinnamon (Flavorah)

Flavor total: 12.65%

@Kinnikinnick back to you I want to thank you as well because along the way one of your creations was also one of my favorites.

Fidel’s Private Stock : Check cookies

3% Black Honey Tobacco (TPA)
4% Catalan Cream (FA)
3% Cubano (TPA)
5% Graham Cracker (FW)
2% Marzipan (FA)
1% MTS Vape Wizard (FA)
1% Perique Black (FA)

Flavor total: 19%

I have read the thread about NET but for some reason just never decided to try it.

Now that we have totally derailed this thread let me get back to it. This is why I personally have taken such interest in PDO as an alternative to PG.

7 Likes

I just keep my pg usage low around 15% & under mostly if I have a 15/85 I’ll try to have a few tanks that are much lower so I can switch up often. I haven’t dabbled in RF’s PDO line just yet but I intend on trying them.

3 Likes

OK I got my PDO Cinnamon Roll flavor and pure PDO in the mail today. Anybody have any suggestions on what percentage to start at for testing?
@dwdh586 @Walt_RealFlavors

EDIT:@JoJo What is the proper way to enter the PDO cinnamon roll flavor in my stash. Never mind found it

1 Like

Since there is some “unknown factor” when it came to PDO based flavors, I started at 5% solo flavor in a 15ml test batch in 20/80 and VaporBase each.

I’m going to be popping off the cap tomorrow for the two week mark. Stay tuned for further details.

3 Likes

Another user on a different forum said he used 6% of the pdo cinnamon roll and loved it.

2 Likes

Something like Cinnamon Roll (PDO) (Real Flavors) would be fine. :slight_smile:

Edit. Nevermind. You found it. :wink: so sorry, visiting family and have spotty wifi.

1 Like

Not a problem at all.

@dwdh586 @MysticRose Thanks

Here is what I did.

6% cinnamon roll
I added 4% PDO for a total of 10% PDO 90% VG

If the smell is any kind of true indicator this should taste great.

I will add more later when I do a 24hr taste test.

5 Likes

Ok here we go.

Real Flavors Cinnamon Roll PDO

6% flavor
4% PDO
1.5mg NIC

24hr test I can tell the flavor is there but not very strong. I will say this it is super smooth.

36hr test the flavor is almost gone completely but it is still smooth

Next batches I made before testing this one were at 8 and 10%

Today is day 5 steeping on those mixes. I went straight to the 10% this morning after cleaning one of my Lemo tanks, new SS coil and cotton bacon for the new wick.

Simple mix

10% Cinnamon Roll PDO
1.5mg NIC
VG
That makes this mix 10PDO/90VG and I would say this compares very close to the viscosity of a 20/80 or 25/75 PG/VG blend.

The flavor is much more present in this one but to me still a little week. What I am tasting is very pleasant and definitely vape-able but a little subdued.

I will let these steep longer and report back in a week or so.

5 Likes

I had posted this in another thread but thought I’d add it here.

Normal type is SnV. Bold type is 1 week steep.

1 Week Steep TEST of PDO Flavors. New info in bold.

Strawberry. 3% was weak but there was an unmistakable strawberry note, one that I instantly wanted more of. I went straight to 5% which was much better. I won’t call the flavor intense, and could have easily bumped it up some more. However at 5% I would probably be satisfied with the intensity as a single flavor. The strawberry flavor comes across to me as a kind of mix between real strawberries and candy type, although real strawberries are more prevalent. The only sb I can compare this to is Medicine Flower, only better IMO. I want to play with this one some more to see how high I can go with it but will reserve that till this test has had time to cure.
After a week steep this is essentially the same. Perhaps the strength has diminished a bit. I still think 5% for a standalone is going to be too weak, but may be perfect for use in a mix. The overall profile remains unchanged.

Raspberry was my next and at 3% I had a similar impression as with the strawberry - unmistakably raspberry only faint. I went to 5% here as well, but the intensity was still lacking so I kicked it up to 7%. Intensity rose some, and this may well be a weaker flavor than the sb, but I chose not to increase anymore till I see how it steeps. Flavor is really good. It captures the brightness of raspberries that I love but didn’t ever achieve any of the characteristic tartness - at least not at 7%. I can almost bet steeping won’t bring that out but once it’s cured some I’ll see it upping the amount has the desired effect. Let me say that unless something amazing happens over the next 2 weeks, I can’t see myself using this even in a mix at 7%, but we’ll see. Right now I’m wondering what 10% would be like.
Substantial drop in flavor strength after 1 week steep. It’s quite incredible how much weaker this is now. What bit of raspberry I can still taste is good, but honestly I would say 10% might be the best place to start next testing as a single flavor. I can’t really offer anything pro or con about the taste with it being this faint. :frowning:

Cherry was my last because I didn’t want to kill my palate … cherry flavors have conditioned me to be wary. At 3% it was as if I had not added any flavors. But oddly enough 5% was like night and day. The cherry was there all flavorful and really good tasting cherry. No urinal cake here! Like the raspberry I feel this will need to be used at a higher % but will let it sit a bit before experimenting further. This one has me very excited and I’m seeing visions of Lifesavers Swirl Lollipops dancing in my head!
Same as raspberry. What flavor was there is now long gone. I will mix this again as a single flavor test at 8% just judging by what I’ve experienced so far.

It’s obvious to me these flavors will need a good steep because when used in a mix, the taste of the recipe will change as the flavor does. Trick is to find out how much and what a useful % is for a stand alone vs a mix. My next review of these will be after making up a new test batch and allowing them to steep a week as it appears the SnV tests are kind of pointless.

7.21.16 - life’s been too hectic to try further testing but I will get to it…eventually. :blush:

7 Likes

Thank you so very much for testing and taking time to tell us. Honestly very disappointing, but kind of what I expected based on previous testing. I’m very discouraged with the pdo right now, not willing to give up my flavor :wink:

Have you made a mix with just the PDO flavoring, and not the extra PDO? If so, how did it do, was it still muted S&V and with a steep? Haven’t seen a lot of reviews on just the pdo flavoring itself. Have you seen any reviews or feedback on it. I know I saw 1 I think somewhere in this thread…I will have to scan though again. But I would love to her more people’s experiences, still new itself. I’m afraid they will end up being muted too. Although the true test is trying a pdo flavoring mix side by side with a regular VG on I guess.

Please keep us posted.

I have a regular 20PG/80VG blend with the PDO flavoring in Strawberry and Cinnamon Roll, I’m letting them steep a little longer but I should have something for you Saturday or Sunday.

2 Likes

Lol…well ignore my previous comment. @SthrnMixer was the one I had seen earlier, and thanks to his update I don’t have to search :smiley:

Thank you so much also for all the time and work in testing and sharing of info.

I’m starting to understand why that “famous maker” never did end up releasing their PDO mixes as they had said they were. Assuming they might have run into the same issues with flavor loss.

I didn’t order any of the PDO flavoring or PDO itself, so I am watching everyone’s results closely.

2 Likes

Yes I have, the 10% flavor mix I mentioned above was a PDO Cinnamon Roll flavoring stand alone, vg and vg base nic only, no additional PDO. I did not try it shake and vape, only after a 5 day steep. If it does not change over the next week or two, than I would say at 12% it would be good to me anyway.

2 Likes

I have found that 10% is barely sufficient for a stand alone flavor for most of these flavors from Real Flavors, the big difference for me is the taste, we’ll worth the lack of concentration of the flavor.

3 Likes