Recipe advice

Hi,

Looking for a little pointer. I’ve made some cracking juices, the flavours are exactly what I want.
However, I get a little throat hit/dryness which induces a slight cough.
They’ve stepped enough to produce the flavours I wanted.
Is it down to a PG issue or does a particular flavour need steeping longer. Like I said the flavours are bang on, just that dryness throat hit.

Should I lower the PG and up the VG slightly to eradicate this issue.

Thanks Phil

3 Likes

Could be a number of things, if it’s in all your recipes then pg level or nicotine could be a factor, if it’s only in some then you could be sensitive to a certain flavouring etc. Best way to find out is to do a few mixes with certain things excluded ie pick a recipe, make a version as per your normal, a nic free version, a max vg version. Then you could test side by side because they’ll be at the same steep points, if one of those is ok you at least know what’s causing it. If you still have it in all of them it may be a certain flavour or flavour carrier. I steep RFSC longer than most do for example because I find it has a throat hit which I can only assume is the flavour carrier as it’s in multiple single flavour tests and recipes. Good luck figuring it out

8 Likes

Your recipes are all 70/30 VG/PG. you could do some testers at 80/20 and see if that helps.

6 Likes

Like @BikesAndBacon said it could be many different things.

In time I found there are definitely flavours that do produce more of a throat hit in my experience. For example, no matter how I used FA White Peach it was like vaping nails, but the flavour was good.

I have basically mixed 80/20 the whole time, so I can’t really comment on the differing ratios.

6 Likes

I would try max vg first to find out if it was the pg that caused the throat hit.

If it wasn’t the pg, than I would try single flavors to find out if it was the flavoring that caused it.

I hope you find the culprit soon, @Phil_Critch . If you could post your recipe here, more experienced mixer might know what flavor might caused it, so you wont have to single flavor all the ingredients.

8 Likes

same here, which is sad because the flavor itself is good

5 Likes

Indeed, if only it vaped the way it smells and tastes!

@Phil_Critch Another example I can think of is in a bakery profile, if I add in 3 different biscuits without balancing it out with some cream it will be dry. I normally wouldn’t put that many different biscuits together because it would be hard to get a balance right.

If you think about it like baking a cake, if the ratio of wet/dry ingredients is not balanced you end up with a dry cake.

4 Likes

But what’s your definition of steeped? 24hrs…48hrs…1 week?
I’ve had recipes still a bit ‘throaty’ after steeping only a few days but given a week or more the flavors usually fall into place and become smoother.

9 Likes

Could try INW-Cactus at 0.5%, it’s been said that it can help overcome dryness by adding a wettening/moistening element to the mix. Could also try using TFA Marshmallow at 0.5% (2% max.) may also help.

5 Likes

After you’ve ruled out any offending flavors, and/or PG, you can look at your NIC (I get coughing from Salts for some reason), and if that doesn’t help out, you can add small amounts of sterile saline, which can help out.

8 Likes

TFA dragon fruit, INW cactus, or FA pear at 0.3-0.5% will all give the juices a juicy/wetter feel in my experience.

8 Likes

Any/all above advice could be your fix.
Cactus or Pear is excellent as an additive for many uses,
but great for a wetting/soothing, take-the-edge-off a recipe.

5 Likes

I’ve done a max VG mix. So I’ll see how that goes. To be fair though, it seems to be smoothing out by the day. So it could be a steeping issue.

6 Likes

Sorry for late reply 2 weeks and at 4 weeks. Dryness still there.

2 Likes

What concentrate mate. Manufacturer and name?

2 Likes

Um, I might be wrong, but the way I read the post in question, manufacturer and name form the first part of the sentence already. :grin:

Could try INW-Cactus at 0.5%

4 Likes

Would smooth from dark arts not help. I’m thinking INW-Cactus would alter flavour, or does it have no impact, other than smooth the harshness?

3 Likes

Where do you get the sterile saline. From any vape concentrate supplier?

2 Likes

Will that not effect the current flavour, just smooth out the harshness?

2 Likes

Do you have a harness issue or a dryness issue? You said something about throat hit, that could be your nic. If dryness is your issue then you have great suggestions. None of which will alter the flavor of your mixes…just make them wetter.

Drug store/pharmacy

Will not effect flavor, takes the dryness out.

Will not alter the flavor, takes the dryness out.

3 Likes