Request for my Mrs. Ogre

Ok, so she has resisted vaping for 2.5 years. That’s ok, she doesn’t smoke much. But… I just introduced her to some tobacco flavored juice via a very restrictive mtl and she seems to like it.

She smokes Misty Menthol 100’s. I looked around and holy crap!!! Bisquit, chocolate, vanilla, grandmother’s old socks? Is all this really necessary to come up with a menthol tobacco taste? Any suggestions on a simple recipe? I hate seeing her go into the garage and come back in with icicles hanging off her.

6 Likes

What was the one you let her try? Maybe use that with some menthol?
Sorry I don’t vape tobacco flavors.

3 Likes

For what it might be worth, I came across this limited (but better than nothing) list of ingredients
(for Misty Menthol Green 100s and 120s, as well as for the Silver 120s):

Search Source: https://www.rjrt.com/commercial-integrity/ingredients/brand-compounds/

For Altria (PM USA) see: http://www.altria.com/About-Altria/our-companies/philipmorrisusa/our-products-and-ingredients/Pages/default.aspx

Link to the above database found at Dr Michael Siegel’s Blog (January 25, 2010):
https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/01/rj-reynolds-publishes-cigarette.html

Just speculating. To recreate the effect of sugars (with Fructose BP the lowest, and Sucrose and Glucose BPs around 160 *C) decomposing in the “pyrolosis” of high temperature combustion in a cigarette, one might possibly have to use a large mass of “sugary” molecules in e-juices. Perhaps synthetic “sweeteners” might be in order ? Sucralose appears dubious - as it readily decomposes at fairly low temperatures. Stevia variants appear to be perhaps less worrisome - but are reported to be hard to dissolve (and keep that way) in Glycol solutions. One patent that I found (and quoted here) used an infusion of a Stevia into warmed PG.

7 Likes

I bought something from Mr. E Liquid. I can’t remember what, but they sent me a sampler. I have no idea what it is made from either. If I can’t find a way to make some I can just buy some more from them.

3 Likes

Wow! I’m amazed. Cocoa? lol. I would have had no idea. Yikes! Ok maybe I do need a laundry list of flavors. Thanks!!!

4 Likes

Back in the day I remember peanut butter being the “thing” to make tobacco flavors work … I gave up trying to create a KOOL for my daughter in law.

3 Likes

Ran across this no idea if it works LOL

Menthol (FW) 1%
DNB (INW) 1.5%
Virginia TA (INW) 1%
Dirty Smooth Tobacco (HS) 4%

2 Likes

Brought to you by scouring our sometime friend Google (no idea what it is, or might resemble):

4 Likes

Appreciate you looking. I have no idea where to start. Looks like the right number of ingredients, lol.

5 Likes

I think Michelle’s HS Dirty Smooth flavoring may actually be Hangsen Smooth. There’s a menthol version that’s listed at DIY Vape Supply, in Waterford.

A little DNB goes a long way. It is supposed to add an ashy note. Some making the transition from cigs to vaping might find that helps. I never did. It didn’t add anything appealing, for me. I have a bunch of unopened 30 ml bottles of it. You’re welcome to one. (I’m in the western Detroit burbs).

It’s going to be tough sledding, trying to nail the Misty Mint down. Vaping just doesn’t taste the same as combusted tobacco, especially to someone trying to switch.

My suggestion (what worked for me, making the switch). Don’t try and make the switch in one leap. Find a mix that she can ‘stand’. Keep it handy. Have her make a little game of it. When she gets the craving, hit the vape until you’ve beaten that one single craving. See how many she can string together, before really needing that Misty Mint. Have one! Reset the counter, and see if you can beat the first string… and on and on. It sounds stupid, but that’s what it took for me to make the transition. Within a week, the cigs were tasting like crap, and the vape was tasting pretty damn good, and I had made it. No smokes since (4 1/2 years now).

I think what happens, in the background, is that she’s slowly retraining her taste buds while playing the little game. Like they say, it’s not about how many you smoke, it’s about counting the ones you don’t as little victories.

One advantage is not having to go outside. A little added motivation.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Wish I could help @SmilingOgre but still haven’t come up with a ADV tobacco mix and don’t even own menthol. Doesn’t @Josephine_van_Rijn only vape tobacco? She would be someone good to ask.

Going to subscribe to learn something myself.

6 Likes

I was very surprised. Just for a lark I tried the tobacco flavor I was sent and it’s not bad. Not bad at all. Very different from what I vape but I think that’s a good thing. A few hits of the tobacco mist vaping my normal flavors keeps things fresh. I truly believed it would be objectionable. Not at all. Pretty pleasant.

4 Likes

(I recall her stating a few times) that she uses NETs as well as some synthetic “Tobacco nuanced” brews.

5 Likes

Oh yikes! Gotta keep it simple for awhile. Nets are over my head.

4 Likes

I can dig it. Was just “testifying” to my recollection of Josephine’s personal druthers. However, while extracting from cigarette Tobacco is not something found recommended, doing so (on a pack or so of the Misty Menthol cigarettes themselves, macerated in PG) would definitely be a lot less harmful (regardless of just about any of the ingredients) than pyrolizing them in a Cigarette (where temps approach the range of nearly 1,000 *C) … :nerd_face: (IMO), folks overestimate the rigors of NET extractions. The most tedious part is straining/filtering at the tail end. The major ingredient that most may be short on is the “patience to wait”. However, the taste/aroma imparted by NETs is more like that of un-combusted, rather than burning in a Cigarette. The smell of my vaped proprietary “Triton” formula (Va/Per/Cav/Bur) reminds me of un-smoked Lucky Strikes. A pleasant aroma - but not the same as by the “soup of substances” resulting from pyrolysis.

5 Likes

@SmilingOgre

I have had a ton of compliments on this one… to make it into a menthol tobacco is not hard.

Add .4% cool menthol to this… if it is not heavy enough, increase it to .6%

It will work, let it sit for 5 days… [then add the cool menthol and shake like crazy] super easy, the lime will be hidden, and all the layers will show thru… She will love this. It’d gotten plenty here off the smokes. Read the reviews :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey, I appreciate the thought but the process of extraction is just a little scary to me. Pretty sure I would end up with a real mess.

4 Likes

Wow thanks! I think I have a good starting point now. I’ll work it and see what I can make happen.

7 Likes

And if I have anything to do with it… we will have our Thanksgiving giveaway this month, somewhere!! :slight_smile:
I am hoping in the next few months we will see my shots and flavor packs somewhere…

If you need this in shot form, let me know.

edit: Our Ogre is going for the shot! <3 :star_struck:

6 Likes

I’m curious as to what tobacco flavor you tried.

4 Likes