Rhubarb booster?

What other fruits or flavours will boost rhubarb ? I don’t want these to be tasted as such in the mix , I just want it to make the rhubarb more vibrant and prominent .it will be mixed with a custard base.

5 Likes

Which rhubarb are you using?

Depending on the choice I would suggest a few leafy notes and a berry which blends well with a sharp root (in rhubarb). So, 0.15% Basil (FLV) and another lighter (and sweeter) berry. If it’s too sharp, then marshmallows, Smooth or creams will help to balance it.

5 Likes

It’s FLV rhubarb. I’ve not used the basil yet , hadn’t found nothing to pair it with yet. My custard base is has 4 different custards in and some cream in there for good measure , I don’t want to drown out the rhubarb flavour though . However the base did work well with blueberry

4 Likes

Ok. It’s one I know and love (though others hate it). 0.55% should be your absolute max with it. (I favour 0.25 - 0.45%). But, add in a berry (I’d be thinking Boysenberry at 0.25%, Raspberry at 0.35% or Strawberry Smash of Alpine Strawberry at 0.'35-0.45%) to soften it and help it to marry. I still recommend the basil: It just adds depth to most fruits.

3 Likes

Would I taste it at such low percentage in a 10% custard base ?
I was thinking more 2% region

3 Likes

What exactly is your base made of? Some flavours need high percentages to shine. Others will just muddy the blend at that strength.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I am familiar with most here (and they all seem to be at sensible levels [apart from the Rhubarb]) but the Capella VC is one I am not familiar with. You could ask on the current custard thread - I’m sure others will know it well.

3 Likes

The custard has worked well with blue Berry before . I Will try your suggestion of lowering the rhubarb to 0.55 and add in a Berry and some basil. I just hope it doesn’t get lost amongst it all

3 Likes

The only one which may mute it, from what I know and see, is the Smoked Butterscotch. But worth trying to see how they pair. I may mix up one myself.

4 Likes

Funny you say that. The smoked butterscotch was a new entry. It wasn’t in the original custard base. Perhaps I might omit that

3 Likes

It can affect others. I added to my palate to see how much it can be a smoky note from Flavorah (without getting Sweet and Smoky).

2 Likes

So this is what I’m gonna out…

2 Likes

.35% red raspberry
.55%rhubarb
.15 basil

No butterscotcj

3 Likes

Looks like a plan. Then you can add drops if needed to refine the blend.

3 Likes

Thanks squirrel

3 Likes

What about lemon grass Molinberry for a leafy ? Or zen garden? Also i have INAWERA RHUBARB I THINK TPA AND 2 ONE SHOTS RHUBARB AND CUSTARD AND RHUBARBS DRAG RACE. Both from Canada diy flavours website. So far the rhubarb n custard has turned out quite nice after over 1 month steep it does take that long to mellow but i want to add a berry or marshmallow . Or too much? Im going down this rhubarb hole now .oh shit…:shushing_face::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Throw away that FLV Rhubarb and replace it with VTA’s - Trust me.

4 Likes

Or are you trying to be one of them hoity toity Flavorah only folks, those people make me sick, they’re like the Jehovah’s Witnesses of the Flavouring World, knock knock “Hi, I know you don’t care but I wanna tell you about our flavours, they cost more but you use less” etc etc

3 Likes

Actually 'smarty" i have vape trains tart rhubarb and Inawera rhubarb they are.the only.ones i own. The one shots are from a concentration store made by Their brand. So Idk what you mean :thinking: plus if you have eever took the time to look at my stash which is for anyone to see you wouldn’t be able to say that at all. “Hoity toity” this is the first time I’ve heard that before. Know your arguments before making them. No offense intended

3 Likes