RTAs failed me/I've failed my RTAs?

I’ve been waiting for what seems like months for my Brunhilde and a couple of other RTAs to get here from FT (it was really only about 5-6 weeks), but when they finally got here, I have been really disappointed. I’ve always considered myself a loose MTL/RDL vaper, but I don’t know if I still am? I’ve been vaping on Zeus Nanos and a Boost Pro, which both use the same mesh coils, for months now.

I’ve tried all sorts of builds on the Brunhilde, Galaxies, and Berserker v2 RTAs but no matter what, the same juices I’ve been using with the mesh coils taste muted. Should I be looking for a mesh RTA/RDTA? Or, should I keep building and rebuilding my RTAs? I’ve tried simple builds using 26g SS316L and also used a variety of Claptons, either 2.5 or 3.0mm ID.

If anyone makes any recommendations, I would like something with a 510/510 DT adapter - I have TMJ - 810 DTs are a PITJ (pain in the jaw) for me. Also would need to keep it fairly small, I don’t have any large mods. I think 25mm may be the largest any of my mods could handle w/out overhang, and that might be pushing it.

edit - spelling

5 Likes

Have you ever checked out the Supreme V3 by Steam Crave? 25mm “RDTA” but I’ve never used mine as a dripper. A few choices for decks, single, dual, mesh, and velocity. It’s a nice tank. Worth a look. If you get the advanced kit you get the single, postless (dual) and the mesh deck. I love mine.

6 Likes

I started looking at mesh RTAs/RDTAs, but I don’t know if that’s the solution, or if I should be looking at something else completely different. That’s why I asked. I am so lost! :frowning:

3 Likes

If you Google Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V3 you can check it out. I love mesh, but you’re looking for a more RDL and off the bat I can’t think of a mesh atty that would give you that, but the supreme v3 can give you the. It’s got great airflow options. Mesh has great great flavor. That what I use to test my mixes.

5 Likes

I’m totally clueless when it comes to what mesh is used in these RTAs/RDTAs. I’ve seen the strips that come with them, but are they interchangeable? Can you use mesh sheets and cut them down, or are those completely different kinds of mesh?

What kind of wattage do you vape these things at? I’m used to vaping at <30 watts, but I keep seeing the strips rated at 0.2 ohms for 50+ watts. Isn’t that really hot, or is the airflow so wide on them that it doesn’t feel that way?

(like I said, completely clueless) :frowning:

3 Likes

They are interchangeable. WOTOFO gives you a tool to bend their coils to give the correct arc.
Getting it wicked correctly is easy if you watch their video and follow their directions. Don’t worry about wattage. That .2 coil I vape down to 30-35 watts. It will depend on the temperature of the vape you like best. Mesh heats up faster than a normal wire coil so you don’t need the higher wattage.

7 Likes

Is there a relatively inexpensive mesh RTA or RDTA that anyone could recommend that I could get from a vendor in the US? (keep in mind about the DT, please) I’d like to see if that’s the route I should go before buying something like the Steam Crave v3 advanced kit, which is much less expensive if I got it from FT or a similar vendor. I could always get a 810 to 510 adapter at that point. I generally buy from Element Vape, which doesn’t have any of them.

3 Likes

I switched over to mesh about 1.5 - 2 years ago. The ease of building is a huge factor. I admit I never cared for making coils or tinkering with them. Mesh eliminates that completely. Once you learn how to wick them, then it’s simple and quick to do. However, the thing that made me switch to them was the flavor. I never got that from all the different coils I had tried or made.

I use Wotofo Profile RDAs and the Profile Unity RTA about 95% of the time. I have a couple of Kylins that are almost as good. I have enough of the above to last the rest of my life, I think. As for cost, I think the Wotofo line is inexpensive but the quality is very good. You can buy the mesh pre-cut or in a spool. I use both but actually prefer the spool from Vandy Vape. I also use SS 316L and Ni80, the former in my RTAs and the latter in my RDAs. Gee, some of us do get kind of particular after a while, I guess.

7 Likes

Mesh atomizers have been my goto for some time. I like the Unity, Doom X and love the Zeus Mesh. If you prefer a restricted DL, be warned that the mesh rta’s are a bit on the airy side. You can adjust the airflow, but IMO they do better wide open. The mesh strips are mostly all compatible, but some may need to be trimmed a little to fit. Vandy Vape makes an excellent mesh spool that is a little bit harder to use than the strips because it’s more pliable, but it’s a quick learning curve. Yes you can cut to size. The main thing you want to get down is the wicking and the Unity is the most finicky (not hard to get it right after you watch a video or two). The Zeus and the Doom X are much more forgiving.
I use an Aromimizer Plus RDTA in RDA mode with regular wound coils and it has fantastic flavor. The mesh deck on it is diasappointing though. Personally, I’d recomend staying away from the mesh deck. Better flavor with the traditional coils. You won’t be sorry with that one. There have been a few mixes that I’ve had to tone down a bit because the flavor was too much. I know, “impossible”, but it’s true.
BTW, I know what you mean about the mtl RTAs. I started out on MTL but have gotten to the point where I can’t go back. I thought the Beserker was a waste of money. I’ve seriously thought of the Brunhilde, but I just know I won’t like it.

5 Likes

@Lostmarbles Of the ones you named, the Zeus is the only one w/ a 510 adapter, so it seems like the best bet to get to try out to see if mesh is the way to go.

When I was talking about mesh sheets, I was meaning actual sheets, not those spool things like Vandy Vapes has. I have no idea why I have sheets of mesh. I recently found a box of all sorts of vape stuff, including SS316L 60*50 (something like that) sheets, not sure what grid. I keep meaning to post the stuff I found to see if anyone thinks I should list it on ecigs_classifieds, 'cause I have some stuff NIB. It’s all probably really outdated, but maybe there’s an eccentric collector out there. LOL

TBH, of the MTL RTAs I just tried, the Berserker gave the best flavor/least muted, but I was having to refill it after only a few drags. What a PITA!

6 Likes

I presume you mean the more recent Berserker RTA as I use 5 of the OG ones and mine all have 7ml bubble glass on them. Found the bubble glass here in Aus and it won’t fit any other Berserkers, only the original ones.

4 Likes

@Ianc13 Yeah, I meant the Berserker v2. I just got several RTAs from FT - the Brunhilde, the Galaxies, and the Berserker v2.

3 Likes

How is the galaxies? Is the airflow too tight?

1 Like

I use Galaxies RTA’s and Brunhilde MTL RTA’s too. Both quite good and always in my rotation. Good choices.

2 Likes

https://m.fasttech.com/search/3099?keywords=810+to+510+adapter

Get some of these and broaden you choices.

6 Likes

@JiM210 Oh, sorry, I left that out of my post when I was talking about getting more expensive mesh RTAs from FT if they work out for me. I’ve seen tons of 810 to 510 Drip Tip adapters on FT’s site, just not at the US vendors that I use. So I could get a mesh RTA that has a 810 DT later, just not now.

The stupid thing is, I have 510 to 810 DT adapters, because I checked to see if using larger Drip Tips would be easier on my TMJ than the smaller ones. Nope, not at all! :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes, the mesh sheets will work. It’s what I used before coming across the spools. I don’t remember what the specs were that I used. Just bought a sheet of SS316 from EBay. It’s been awhile.

4 Likes

I just found my options have opened, mesh RTA-wise. Amazon sells the DT adapters.They’re a lot more expensive than FT sells them for, but if there’s an RTA that stands above the crowd that doesn’t have an adapter, then I can always get something there. (strangely, there’s a bunch of DTs sold on Amazon as something to do w/ coffee - is that how they’re getting away w/ selling vape stuff on there?)

4 Likes

What vape stuff? I don’t see no stinking vape stuff!

5 Likes

If you do the search I did for “810 to 510 drip tip adapters” you see mostly drip tips and a few misc. vape things intermixed with valves and I don’t know wtf half of that stuff was. btw, drip tips are sold as either “pipe fittings” or used for coffee machines. There’s even a pic of coffee spewing out of a machine through snakeskin 810 DTs. LOL :smiley:

But when I clicked on 810 to 510 adapters I saw wire (spools and pre-made coil kits), cotton (strips and threads), mesh, DIY coil kits (for “jewelry repair”), vape bands, etc. That stuff shows up in the section where they try to sell you more stuff “Customers Also Viewed.” I’m sure if you clicked on any of those things you’d get even MORE vape things.

4 Likes