Sad Times For Vanilla Lovers

Even though most of our concentrates are not made with genuine vanilla bean, I can’t help but be troubled by this. I certainly relish the taste and aroma of natural vanilla in foods and perfumes. There’s nothing like the real thing but the real thing is in peril due to climate change and thieves (notably the Mexican drug cartel per NPR interview).

9 Likes

While this is the sad state of the industry in Mexico, I doubt we’ll have a worry for the foreseeable future in the Vanilla market, worldwide.

6 Likes

Thank you for the article, Plunderdrum. I hope not. Seems that it implied a possible movement towards synthetics since they’re cost effective. I’m just sad how this world is losing it’s original beauty. And it sure would be nice if Mexico could continue it’s ancient tradition of growing the vanilla orchid. Don’t mind me, I awoke with nostalgia this morning instead of New Year forward thinking. I’ll snap out of it! :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

9 Likes

This is why Smooth Vanilla - Flavorah is up there in price as well.
Vanilla Bean too…

5 Likes

Can you tell us more about Flavorah vanillas? We’re all looking for someone willing to discuss FLV but there just doesn’t seem to be anyone on the forum who wants to talk about it. :wink:

Fortunately @Plunderdrum has shone a ray of hope with that article, so I’m optimistic for the future of our vanillas, for now anyway…

8 Likes

Sad times indeed. Making me glad (unrelated) that I snagged a big old bunch of DIYFS Holy V before it disappeared.

6 Likes

Imagine that… I can say I keep a 4oz of each… they come in handy, taste good and if you do not have them it’s because I am hogging them all :slight_smile: How bout it? :stuck_out_tongue: anyways… yeps optimistic is good… Carry on… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Amusingly enough, all flavorah, vanilla smooth .2, vanilla bean .2 and sugar orchid .4 really taste like vanilla custard to me, when none of the vanilla custard flavours do ( including flv)

5 Likes

It is funny how we all perceive flavors and what does and doesnt taste right or good or… I try to keep up with the “off tastes” and what people say about flavors in gerenal… only for my amusements… I have tried to find a way for flavor blindness over the years… and I can say it is hard to correct someone else’s tastebuds… its even harder for me to have an all day vape…

As for the “vanillas” I love them too much and they all have their own spots in my mixes… depends on my goals. I love the sugar orchid too much… but I believe most use it too high… 1-3 drops or .2g-.6g in a 30ml is more than enough. taken higher, the pasty comes out, even higher, the nutty almond comes out… take it too high and the real “gum paste” it is shows and overpowers anything else. I love using it with frosting as it adds body and depth to a lot of vapes. for giggles… one I have toyed with for a while:

.6% frosting
.4% lemon
1.4% lemonade
.4% rose essence
.12% sugar orchid
.2% Vanilla Bean

let it sit for as long as possible… 5 days but up to 2 weeks and its a lemon pasty with pink frosting…
If you increase all by .2% its a bit better pronounced, but I wouldn’t exceed more than that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I need the lemonade at some point. Might try a citrus + vanilla bean + orchid + frosting before being able to do this one.
Probably more .2 .2 .4 for the last three for me. I like orchid all the way to .6 and in extreme cases .8. frosting gets weirdly sweet to me quick. Go figure.

3 Likes

So, the “new” Holy Vanilla is not up to snuff? I haven’t tried it though they claim it’s better than the old.

2 Likes

I’m happy to see that those articles attracted some interest to my favorite subject, vanilla. I have to find different ways to sneak it in. If I just keep talking about vanilla all the time ya’ll will think something’s wrong with me, lol. :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve got so much of the old, haven’t thought to try the new @muth

4 Likes

My bottle has an expiration date. Ya think you can get through all of it before that? I suppose you can make big batches and put them “on hold” so to speak.

4 Likes

Expiration dates are for people who can read. I work better with pictures.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

:rofl: I like people who ignore the rules. Makes me feel better.

3 Likes

For the most part they should last a long time, @muth expiration dates are just that… I have had some flavors last me 2 years after those dates, but… you will know when it goes bad. Just like you will notice a difference between a very old flavor and a fresh bottle of the same flavor… keep it in a dark cool spot and you will be fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

LOL then we’ll DEF. be bestest of best friends @muth.

3 Likes

ditto here too Sd… you and me… the 3 nilla-teers!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:sparkling_heart: Oh good, then I can tell you that one of my resolutions is to make my dream vanilla vape.

3 Likes