San Francisco seeks first ecig ban

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/19/san-francisco-seeks-nations-first-ecigarette-ban-fda-review/3217786002/

2 Likes

So at least I know the rules in SF now. I can buy cigarettes and cigars at the store, leave my heroin needles all over the streets and take a crap in the middle of the day at the corner of Haight and Ashbury but don’t break out my vape anywhere in city limits?? California political logic??

11 Likes

I lived in SF a long time ago, and am far away now, but have been watching all the shenanigans going on out there for quite some time. Hearing all kinds of issues with the growing homeless population, etc., but I’m glad to see they are LOCKED ON TARGET for the evils of the ecig.

6 Likes

It needs reminding, I guess. California is in the cigarette business. They got there in the big settlement with big tobacco years ago. They get money from the sales of cigarettes. They use that money to pay off bonds they issued when the settlement was made. They already spent the bond money. Now all they have is debt. As cig sales dry up their revenue shrinks and they are in danger of defaulting on the bonds.

So what to do? Kill off the competition. San Francisco is one of the biggest benefactors of the cig sales revenue.

13 Likes

That’s a mighty fine bucket list if I’ve ever seen one.

9 Likes

SNAFU:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

So they can ban e cigarette but do ok with having a heroin park with clean needle exchange? Oh prostitution is ok too. Might as well ban the gay bars.

5 Likes

And it is voted through…

2 Likes

This is really sad. :cry:

4 Likes

But they will take the revenue that juul makes for operating in their city limits ???

4 Likes

Lived there almost 40 years. Every year since I moved away, is one year happier.

5 Likes

SF’s notion that a city ordinance barring sales of such devices/substances would actually impact practical availability of such things in their town is absurd - given the legacy of incredibly diverse “contraband” that has originated in and from the bay area that I once spent time in. These days, it seems that so much in the way of public policy theatrics are so removed from reality as to render them to be merely ceremonially symbolic (“political performance art”).

(Likely in part due to “ginormus tobacco” influences), Nicotine never was, and remains not, a federally “controlled substance” (under the CSA). It is deemed into the domain of the FDA. That situation (hopefully) would make a SF municipal “criminalization” of Nicotine possession itself unlikely. Perhaps the city could (and perhaps might) civilly cite and sue defendants - for the outrageous crime of not (instead) possessing combustible tobacco products, or alternatively, not being duly enrolled in some nanny-state re-education camp where one’s “addicted” label would constitute and remain a cash-cow for pseudo-psychiatric quacks.

3 Likes

Is it? Really? Are you really convinced that this new law has absolutely no effect on the market? It’s not just B&M shops, those people aren’t even allowed to buy online (just like us, and I can tell you it sucks goat balls)

This is totally besides the point. I know that people can easily drive to the next city and buy their gear and liquids. The point is that they’re giving a very bad signal about vaping and will be an example for other cities that play with the idea.
Even if you take away everything, everywhere, there will still be people who will push themselves into the illegal/criminal world to keep vaping, keeping themselves (and people around them) healthier than if they’d be pushed back to tobacco… but what effect will that have on the larger population that doesn’t want to break the rules to avoid getting into trouble?

These people will have deaths on their hands and I’m sure they’re not even going to lose a second of sleep over it. That’s just plain evil.

6 Likes

This sickens me.

4 Likes

Yes, it “sucks goat balls” big time that the larger population of law abiding folks may “die at the hands” of these Sanctimonious Retards, with cigarettes hanging from their compliant mouths. Bean Counters are moving in at other locales as well, including mine. Public policy is increasing divorced from pharmacology and toxicology, centering instead on daft compulsive moralistic obsessions surrounding attempts to deny human pleasures, creating taboos irresistible to the young folks who these Clueless Cretins profess to be “saving from themselves”. It’s a Holy Rollers’ field day - while Masters of Industry and War wreck the planet with environmental toxins, hideous weaponry, and guaranteed climate catastrophe. The carnage of fools.

5 Likes

This is a black market business opportunity. Time to sale Vape contraband from the Taco truck. \sarc :thinking:

5 Likes

Kenneth Warner, a professor emeritus at the University of Michigan of Public Health:
“If the board of supervisors were interested in public health, they would prohibit the sale of cigarettes in San Francisco. That’s a far higher priority than banning vaping from a public health point of view,” he said. “There really is an irony that now you can buy your marijuana and your cigarettes, but you won’t be able to get vaping products, which are certainly far less dangerous than cigarette smoking. It’s ludicrous.”

7 Likes

Finally, a hot market niche for my proprietary “Free Range Non-GMO Corned Beef Shanks” e-juice. … :stuck_out_tongue: … and for those customers who sanctimoniously eschew red meat products, I have developed a delicious “Chicken Heads” e-juice brew (“If loving you was a doggone crime, I’d be sitting in jail done flat nine-nine”).

The Moral-Nanny Magpies are busily clucking in unison. The Mayor of Seattle now panders for prohibition.

3 Likes

The fun part is that they’re still allowed to sell THC and CBD vape juices apparently. And they’re still happy to cash in the revenue from Juul.
Look what happened to the old hippie commune. Well… they’ve been trying to make the world a better place, too i guess

4 Likes

Mmmmm 3mg Carne Asada anyone? :crazy_face: :rofl:

2 Likes