SFT FA's Zen Garden, Marzipan and Torrone

You’ll have to forgive the audio (again) at the end of the video. It did not sink as it should and I just ain’t fixin it.

14 Likes

Lmao those damn ethereal green notes - gold mate too funny

6 Likes

Thanks, bro. It’s always difficult to know if something is funny to other people. Unless of course your at a comedy club and they ain’t laughin. LOL

7 Likes

I’m still none the wiser with that ethereal green … guess I’ll have to try it to know but somehow I doubt I’ll be so adventurous.

IRL I really love marsipan but I never found a way to incorporate this flavor in a recipe, same with the torrone. They’re strong and so incredibly dry that it’s just not pleasant for me to vape. It’s a real shame because the flavors themselves are pretty good. It’s definitely not good as a main flavor but could probably be used as a hint to add a little ‘spice’ to a desert recipe.

I always like flavor reviews so thanks for that, keep them coming :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh marzipan is a great flavour loads of things to use that with apples, cakes, irish cream, chocolate, peach, vanilla, apricot, custard to name a few i have used it with but the list is very long. I do like to boost the almond notes in FA Cookie with it.
Checkout
http://www.ingredientpairings.com/?i=marzipan

Marzipan goes well with…

ALMOND , almond extract , almond liqueur, almond paste, almond syrup , ALMONDS , amaretto liqueur , apple , apple cider , apricot, APRICOT JAM , biscotti , brandy , BREAD FLOUR , brown sugar , BUTTER , buttermilk , CAKE , cake mix, candied cherries, candied citron, CASTER SUGAR , cherries, CHOCOLATE , CINNAMON , cloves, cocoa powder , coffee, corn syrup , cream , cream cheese, currant , custard, demerara sugar, dried apricot , dried fig, dried fruit , EGG WHITES , EGG YOLKS , EGGS , flaked coconut, FOOD COLORING , framboise, frosting , ganache, ginger , glace cherries , glaze , glycerin, half and half , heavy cream , honey , ice cream, ICING , instant coffee , jelly, juice, lemon, lemon juice , lemon zest, liqueur, margarine, mascarpone cheese, MILK , milk powder, mincemeat , mixed fruit, nutmeg , orange , orange juice , PASTRY , PEACH , pear, pecan , pie dough , pistachio nut , pistachios , POWDERED SUGAR , prune, pumpkin puree, raisin , raisins , raspberries, raspberry jam, rhubarb , roll , rose water, rum, seeds , semisweet chocolate , sour cream, soy milk, spice cake mix, spices , strawberries , strawberry jam, SUGAR , syrup, VANILLA EXTRACT , vanilla pod , walnut , whipped cream, whiskey, white chocolate , whole milk, wine , yogurt, ZEST

4 Likes

I know, it’s used in a lot of bakery here and I eat it just plain as well. Most of it is sugar so you can throw it at just about anything. It’s just FA’s version of it that gives me a hard time. I’d probably buy a good version from another brand in an instant.

5 Likes

FA is pretty good you just have to find the sweet spot (stay low) - INW is perhaps a touch stronger and maybe a little sweeter but they are pretty close in taste.

5 Likes

I’ll probably give it another try, but I’ve used it as low as 0.1% and it still doesn’t bring back great memories :slight_smile:
Maybe it was just the recipes that weren’t so great… I was feeling for a good apple pie recipe anyways, maybe I’ll just throw in some and see where it takes it.

4 Likes

Enjoyed the review. Might be my favorite thus far.
Plus it had the dog, the cat, your mom, and your (I call it) “princess Leia” taster coil, which fascinates me. That, along with ethereal green notes and you’ve got a winner.
Why are you so bundled up? Is your room in the basement?

5 Likes

It’s mint.

LOL Two reasons. One, I live in MI and it has been cold lately and two, Yes I live in the basement where it is freezing balls, even in the summer. I made sure to get the dog in just for you.

Really? Huh, I’ll have to do some more.

Dude, love the website. I just registered. Being as how I am the cook around here and we really only cook with two types of meat. Fowl and Beef and creating something “different” is a pain in the arse so I think I’ll like this website. Thanks.

8 Likes

@woftam my bad. I attempted to register but there seems to be an internal issue. It’s weird though. You have it as ingredientpairings.com and the website has recipelabs.com but it’s the same. Do you belong to this site?

3 Likes

No I probably should sign up but i just use the ingredient pairings section sometimes when i get stuck for an idea.

4 Likes

I have a few written recipe using marzipan in one and torrone in a another with Almond Custard WF and Almond Cookie wf…Ill get the Almond flavors from WF today …Crossing my fingers also using Flapper pie in one

5 Likes

Ethereal green notes… walking through the forest like a fairy?

5 Likes

mmmm sounds awesome. I just recently was able to pick up a few flavors thanks to my man @Chef_Johnny and I grabbed my very first WF flavor. Sour Blue Raspberry Candy, I’m hoping it’s good.

5 Likes

Not walking. Let’s say, living. Like a wood fey. :grin::upside_down_face::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

What’s a wood fey? Any relation to Tina? :thinking:

5 Likes

What her boyfriend or husband has? lol

3 Likes

You asked for it and here it is:

it’s a WIP but it’s a good recipe to start from, In Sicily the sweets are extremely SWEET and probably an addition of Sweet candy CAP would do good to this recipe, at the moment is a bit on the dry side, Almonds off??
I don’t use sugar not even in my espresso but to be fair to the original recipe I’ll have to get over it and add some sort of sweet more than just the Orange and marzipan.
Probably V2 will have the almonds off, increase the Shisha Orange to bring the orange layer more to the front and add the sweet Candy @.5%.

5 Likes

@Iv3shf looks good. I am missing the two orange aspects and will have to order them when I have the funds.

As for the dryness; it is coming from the FA Torrone. 2.50 seems like a lot, like a real lot lol. Personally I would drop it to between 1-1.25%. Of course, that is just me and we all have different taste buds and needs. I am in no way telling you how to mix your recipe. Only what I would do.

I really like the orange aspect and wonder why I didn’t think of it. BRILLIANT, now I need to get some orange and I want to do it soon because I really like the looks of this recipe. :+1: :vulcan_salute: :v: :call_me_hand:

5 Likes