Show us your computer's

oh this is a photo of one like mine because my desk looks like a warzone at the moment ROFLMAO

7 Likes

True. Mine is an older system now which I built for video editing and design work. It only has a i5 processor but it is a “K” chip and over clocks to 5Ghz. Running 32Gb of ram with 12.5 Tb of storage.

6 Likes

I’m with Josephine.

Untitled

6 Likes

That’s my girl, we are so alike. Apart from the “at the moment”. My desk and to be honest, the rest of my house, permanently look like a warzone :laughing: :bomb:

I started on Windows, worked in a computer workplace for a number of years fixing the things.
Then I got a PowerMac from a fellow worker and never looked back.

The thing was old but working like a horse. Only stopped working when my sick cat pissed on it a few times and it seeped in :grin:

It’s the constant upkeep with Windows that I find so annoying. The Mac just works.
The other nice thing is that when there’s a new OS in Mac, you can just download it for free in the Apple store.

With Windows you’ll have to buy it :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

I do a lot of multimedia and video rendering/processing. When I was teaching, my classroon had 7 Macs and 7 Dell PC’s in it. There was always a fight at the start of class as the students wanted the Windows PC’s. It got so bad that we ended up dual booting the Macs so the students could use them in windows too.

Me too, we fixed windows PCs and threw out Macs…

Last windows I bought was XP. Managed free updates ever since and been going fine. All my PC’s and Laptops (yes multiple ones) run the latest versions of 64 bit Win 10 Pro and have zero issues with any of them.

Apples are not bad machines, just too limited and expensive for my needs… :smile:

7 Likes

Limited is no problem for my needs, as for the expensive part… why do you think I have a mini? :laughing:

7 Likes

So, individuals that choose M&M’s over veggies, and sometimes poop their pants, chose the school’s OS? :wink:

Ok OK… just messing… couldn’t resist. Nothing like a good old Windows vs Mac debate! How 90’s!!

It’s just like vaping. As long as it’s working for the individual, is what’s important.

6 Likes

I’ve always gone the PC route, built countless rigs, built even more for clients, and managing my gaming clan, didn’t help my obsession any LOL, made it worse. My take on the Apple products MAY be skewed. I think in the beginning, they REALLY had the corner on the market with the photo/video editing suites, and print layout progs. As time wore on the PC got tired of getting it’s butt kicked, software houses started porting to the PC, and at least in my opinion, things have never been the same since.

I dealt with XP, loved Windows 7, and Windows 10 (ehhh). We’ll see what the road ahead is, but I’m starting to be more interested in Linux.

7 Likes

I have a couple of older Dell laptops here, that belonged to my daughters, when they were in college (before they came to their senses and went back to Mac…heh heh) They wouldn’t support any of the newer Windows OS’ and were just gathering dust. So I figured what the hell, and installed Linux on both of them, just to see what it was like.

It’s been a few years since I messed with them, they were very limited, memory-wise, and processor-wise, so I had to use one of the slimmed down, lightweight Linux versions. It was interesting, and kinda’ fun to explore it a bit. It was something new and different.

If you have a Windows box or laptop that is getting a little long in the tooth, I’d give Linux a try. I’m sure there are Linux builds now that would be a huge improvement over the bare bones versions I tried. If you like to customize your OS & software, you might have fun.

9 Likes

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a media center/NUC. With the layout of the new house I don’t have a dedicated office to stuff a huge tower into, but now that I’m thinking about it, perhaps a small rack in the sewing cabinet with a slave terminal at the television…?

I’m probably 3 years behind the times…

6 Likes

The next system I build is going to be Linux based. I’m done with the shenanigans of Microsoft - they took a page from Apple’s playbook and I can’t justify paying a yearly fee for office or them taking a perfectly stable OS (windows 7) and burning it to the ground for nothing other than market share.

9 Likes

I went to Linux Mint on all my equipment early this year because I refused to go to Win 10. Its just too damned intrusive. I’ll never go back to Microsoft and love this OS. Coupled with encryption and a VPN I have privacy and security that I think is impossible with MS.

There is a learning curve for non computer savvy people like me particularly when using command line stuff, but its not really difficult once you spend a little time with it. I built my main PC for around $800 and it will do far more than I will ever use it for. I did have compatibility issues with HP laptops but people on the Mint forum walked me through everything and were really friendly and helpful. Screw Microsoft. I wish I would have went Linux years ago.

11 Likes

Interesting… I would have put it the other way around from what I have seen over the years. LOL

Absolutely!

6 Likes

When Windows finally came to the party and used 64 bit architecture the whole Linux based power divide changed totally for video and graphics processing. I think that was the beginning of the end in respect to Macs having an advantage in the graphics/multimedia world.

Just downloading the Oct update of Win 10 on my Samsung tablet. Least production sensitive Windows device I have so will see what has changed. Update called it a “new operating system” so should be interesting…

3 Likes

Nah, it is possible to shut down 95% of Microsoft’s intrusion if you go a bit deeper. I have quite a few expensive programs that will not run on Linux so I don’t have the luxury (or time) of going to a different OS.

4 Likes

I’m sure that’s true with some programs. I kept the old Win7 system and run it offline on the rare occasion that I need it (CAD etc.) but have found that most of the free and open source programs work just as well or better. It can time consuming but what I like is that I am not tied to end user license agreements and don’t have to turn off intrusive junk only to have updates turn them back on. Admittedly I am far from a skilled user.

Free at last-free at last. Screw you Microsoft free at last. :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

I can see your point, but I am using full adobe suite software and high end 3D rendering programs that just don’t have open source equivalents with the same bells and whistles… Just horses for courses and personal practicality in the end. I am happy enough with what I am running because it works for me, but just like vaping… everyone’s needs and experiences are different. :smile:

7 Likes

Agreed …

3 Likes

Your chromebook is a Linux platform. There’s many things you can do with it. Plus, everything is cloud based so you’re not tethered to a hard drive. Don’t underestimate your CB. For instance:

Games are not a strong suit of Chromebooks , but thanks to the Linux Support, now you can install and play many desktop-level games on Chrome OS . Steam is one of the best digital game distribution platforms and it’s officially supported on Linux . So, you can get it running on Chrome OS and enjoy desktop games .Jan 8, 2020

6 Likes

If more and more software vendors use cloud solutions Windows won’t be necessary anymore when everything runs in a browser. The days of buying a program and getting the installer to run on your own machine are almost over.
I’m still running Windows on my main machine but since I don’t play many games apart from online chess these days this will come to an end, too.
The problem with Linux is just that there are too many different versions because the geeks are too cool to pull onto one direction. If they could do that Windows would have been obsolete decades ago

5 Likes