Smok TFV4, one tank to rule them all

Damn! Got anything else you want to trade? I have a black Xcube II with your name on it. Lol.

1 Like

Just got this tank and itā€™s awesome! Just using the coils that came with it. But the.15 coil eats the juice! Ha. Is the.2 just as bad?

Welcome to Juice Guzzlerā€™s club! Yes, pretty much everything the TFV4 takes will drink juice. But thatā€™s based mostly on what Iā€™ve read. My personal experience is with the triple and quad coil Kanthal heads, along with the single and dual coil RBAs. But from what Iā€™ve read they all suck it down.

1 Like

I have had a great experience with my full size TFV4, but the mini I think I just solved. I had wicking issues, leaks at first, sealed it with Teflon tape just below the RBA2 coil oring, then dry hits, no wicking. All of this in Ti TC mode, so no crazy dry hit moments like with kanthal.
I did figure out the problem last night with the wicking. I had ran out of Shiseido Japanese Facial Cotton before I came to Hawaii this summer, what I normally use. So I had to use the SMOK cotton off the bat, which, in the full TFV4 works, but not in the Mini.
So finally reordered some from Macyā€™s, and it came in this week. Back in the Mainland, you can go to the beauty counter in JC Penney or Macyā€™s and get the Shiseido Facial cotton for $10, enough to last 6 months to a year. This stuff wicks like crazy and I never dry hit on it.
I rebuild the coil RBA2 in the Mini last night and rewicked with Shiseido, man what a difference. The technique is simple:
Take a sheet of Shiseido, peel the layers in half so you have 2 sheets now of half thickness. Take one half and cut that in half across. [ | ] Take one half, stretch and fluff thin, and then Scottish roll like a J. Then I roll one end smaller to fit the 2.5 ID on my coils and pull through. You will use both halves of one Half thickness sheet for 2 coils. the other half thickness sheet is for another 2 coil build.
From having the RBA2 mounted in the AFB, cut the cotton flush with the edge of the AFB.
Take a ceramic tweezer, blue screwdriver, whatever has a point and open and fluff the ends of the cotton wick. The ends should look like a Cinnabun when you are done, with fluffy strands everywhere.
Put some juice on the wick and coil, I was able to get about 1.5 ml just in the wick and coil from my syringe, fully saturated for Ti cooling for first fires.
Fit the RBA top on the coil and tuck the cotton under the top, screw on, and then use tweezers or a pokey to ensure the cotton cinnabuns are over the deck covering but not in the juice channels. With this method, you will have so much juice in the wick but no flooding and no dry hits.
Finally, take about 1.5 to 2 inches of Teflon tape, cut in half down the length. You should have 2 strips of equal width and longer length. Take one strip and you should have one wraps worth at the coil threads just below the coil oring.
Since we all know the orings are fudgy on the TFV4, this allows you to cover the oring and threads without covering the air holes since you have a half width strip. This method ensures protection against the dreaded leak through AFC holes, provided your chimney oring is in good working order. This also allows for better vacuum in the tank.
I go everywhere with these tanks in Hawaii, no fear of leaks with these methods, and its 85*F here in the winter now.
I use both vape bands to secure the tank, the bottom black one, covers the Bottom glass oring and just above the AFC ring. The top red one I use to seal the top fill seal, flush with the top of the top fill deck. See the Pic below for example.

I know this was long winded but I post this in hopes that someone with these issues can have a place to look for solutions.

Phil

4 Likes

Thank you Phil. I had never thought about using teflon tape. Brilliant.

I can provide more detailed pics this afternoon (HST mind you) when I rewick my full size TFV4. I will try to get pics of the cuts, process and the Teflon Tape tips. Thanks for the interest, share the knowledge.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Phil. I picked up 2 TFV4ā€™s about a month ago, and, yes they are awesome. Havenā€™t touched my drippers since.
Iā€™ve been fighting the leak on the RBA also, that Teflon idea sounds like shear brilliance !!
Iā€™ll hitch a ride with the wife next trip to Macyā€™s for some cotton.
Thank you.

Please do let us know if you try the Teflon tape. I think itā€™s a brilliant idea as well.

WTH am I doing wrong here. I have to get this off my chest :sob:
2yrs ago daughter graduated High School as Valedictorian, We bought her a week in Waikiki.
I was in Iowa building Windmill towers thru the winter.
This year Son graduated with honors, we sent him and his ā€œRat Packā€ to Maui for a week.
I was fighting snow storms with a big load thru the mid west.
My Dad always said ā€œevery dog has his dayā€ā€¦again WTH!!.. (mike drop) rant overā€¦

2 Likes

My old man hauled long over-sized too. I rode with him a lot. He didnā€™t pay a dime for my school but threw me a BBQ when I got my undergrad. . .nobody gets you anything for a PhD. I ā€œloanedā€ my dad the money to buy his trailer while unemployed and in college. . .and a big turbo. . .and a 10kw inverter that I installed.

just saying Iā€™d take a trip to Iowa even if you are giving them out. Haha. Good for you man, they wonā€™t forget it. They know how hard you have to live to pay for that stuff.

I havenā€™t experienced any leaking at all with this tank. Iā€™m using the RBA2 and love it.
I did have a dry hit problem that was solved by rewicking with this new vaperā€™s choice cotton.

Really like this tank and this new cotton doesnā€™t have any ā€˜break inā€™ time. Itā€™s good right after
I rewicked wtih it.

1 Like

Great review Sir

1 Like

So Iā€™ve found my TFV4 sitting more and more. I just like the way the Aromamizer RDTAs taste and perform so they stay atop the two Efusions. Lovely they are. So what else do I use? Hmmm, letā€™s see the Cube is a piece of crap, so not there. It gets used for testing on a dripper and if that test works, I used the Goblin Mini to vape the new liquid for a shot while. Works out pretty good.

The eVic VT 60w or VTC Mini, one has the Lemo 2 on it, the other the Subtank Mini. The Reuleaux DNA200 has been swapping between the Advken Ohmega and Velocity clone. I decided to use the TFV4 on the eVic 60 and shelve the Subtank. But with the dual 22ga Ti setup on the TF-R2 it takes too long ramp up time.

So I got out the TF-R1 and put in a 6 winding, 2.5mm ID 24 mm titanium single contact coil. I figured why not, I havenā€™t been using it anyway. Let me tell you, this is the first time since I got the TFV4 that I actually am enjoying the single coil RBA. With my lower power devices itā€™s killer. Iā€™ve pretty much become like my buddy Pro_Vapes in that I donā€™t care as much for single-coil RBAs, but they still hold a place in my rotation. I just didnā€™t think the TFV4 would be among them. Iā€™m starting to also notice just how bulky and out of place the cube looks lately. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @therabidweasel , Iā€™m a firm believer in ā€œpaying it forwardā€. Sounds like you did right with your Dad.
It all comes back to you eventually.
And yes, my kids know what I do to , Iā€™ve had the boy along on big night moves out of Houston with DOT, police, bucket trucks and pilot cars and got a very tense ā€œOH Crapā€ out of him.
Next trip the girl just sat there speechless and stiff as a board. Couldnā€™t help but chuckle at both.
Very proud of them both, but no Hawaii in my foreseeable future, theyā€™re both in collage nowā€¦
Hope they have sand pads for my walker by the time I get there :joy:

2 Likes

Man thatā€™s an impressive collection!!! very cool.
as a side note I want to thank you, @SthrnMixer and @Pro_Vapes for the tutorial on the ā€œScottish rollā€ for wicking. Been using it ever since, works awesome!!
As for the Teflon tape, still working on the ā€œtechniqueā€ I think. One tank it seemed to fix the leak entirely, second tank still leaked bad and couldnā€™t get it to fire, had to take Teflon off.
I ended up replacing white rubber and both O-rings, seemed to help a lot only VERY tiny leak after filling. @Alisa must of had good gaskets to begin with. Guess Iā€™m not that lucky.

2 Likes

Yesā€¦ thatā€™s what he said. I have good ā€˜gasketsā€™
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They go by many names. :slight_smile:

1 Like

HAHHAHA sorry, wasnā€™t sure how to word that one

1 Like

OK, need some help here. REALLY getting irritated with this leakinā€™ goā€™n on here.
Grabbed mod last night with out looking at it and got a big handful of juice, I just filled and set down.
Dumb question time :blush:
Do any of you close off the air inlet before refilling?
I tend to over analyze stuff sometimes, could it be that simple?
Then again it could be a reason to buy one or two of those ā€œAromamizer RDTAsā€ @SthrnMixer mentioned. Hmmā€¦

I do now. Had that happen twice early on. Filled at night with AF one and woke up to puddles of juice. Thankfully they werenā€™t on mods eat the time. Havenā€™t had an issue when filling with AF closed since though. I think itā€™s moe of an issue on my top fill tank though. Had it happen once on the Crown too.