Smoker wanting to convert to vaping, need to choose a device

It’s completely fine, don’t be embarrassed. The fact that you offered in the first place made my day. SA is the worst place to live when it comes to shipping and sending stuff hehe

3 Likes

@CosmicTruth has made an e-juice calculator that is handy for lots of things mixing related, but it can also help you with nicotine level based on what you smoked …
Have a look at

You can find it in the NicLevel tab and you can adjust the values at the bottom to check on your own usage.

6 Likes

Ah thank you, that will most definitely come in handy :smile:

2 Likes

sorry, it comes to me that "to start with " was a poor choice of words on my part. I meant it in the sense of "before you start cutting down on the nicotine strength " (which is most peoples’ aim in the long term isn;'t it?). not “before you try out other nicotine strengths”.

But, that said, the Juul (which contains 50mg nic salts, as we know ) is considered perfectly suitable for a new vaper isn’t it? And that was one of the options under consideration, So I was pretty much making a case for the Juul or similar as a starter device, in this case. Just so long as it’s not one of those de-balled EU versions,

Maybe @MandiPeanut can clarify? but I had the impression that she’s not considering mixing just yet.

In any case , for somebody who smokes at the rare of 40-60 cigarettes a day , starting off at 3mg in a device that boasts “reduced juice consumption” is a clear recipe for failure. So I felt I had to make very clear the enormous difference between the nic she’s getting from her smokes and the nic she was getting from that device, before she winds up concluding that vaping just doesn’t work for her, or that none of the devices she’s trying are working for her…

I’m keen to get that point across, because I’ve been there. Many years ago, As a 20-30 per day smoker, (half the OP’s rate!) I found the recommended mg (usually 18mg for MTL devices) was just not working for me, I didn’t raise above the recommended, because I wrongly believed that I’d give myself nicotine poisining if I did. So I went back to to smoking instead.

Then, I eventually read Dr Farsalinos’ research into absorption rates, the penny dropped and I found a strengrth that really worked for me . It was 48 mg. I’d tried and failed with vaping several times over, by then, and had heaps and heaps of redundant kit.

I really don’t want @MandiPeanut to hesitate to the point that she practically gives up on vaping , like I did.

If I might re-phrase my advice, I’d say push the nic level up just as far and as fast as you need to., and don;t worry if you find it approaching that 50mg mark, not if you’re vaping MTL. And don’t be too fast to blame the device if you’re not getting the nicotine hit you need, it’s more likely the strength of the juice.

1 Like

I have started mixing actually, nothing good (I have one mix of my own invention that doesn’t taste too bad), tested on my boyfriend’s eGo. Planning on going after pre made juice after I found a device. I didn’t add that I have all the equipment available to mix my own juice, since I know that opens up a whole new discussion hehe

2 Likes

Sorry, I live in South Africa sadly. When it comes to these types of things, it really sucks living so far from the EU and US

1 Like

Again what works for you doesn’t work for everyone. And vice versa. It’s one thing to say oh this worked for me, another trying to push an agenda and narrowing down to a generalisation that we can place in a box.

I smoked 2-3 packs a day as well, my husband 1-2 packs and two of my friends inbetween. We all got sold a smok device, baby tank, 3mg of juice and send out the door. Huge mistake because I wasn’t dl and had a hard time.

I did increase my nic. to 4.5 and it worked fine. My husband did not and we did not need 24mg and higher nic. I also didn’t need a cloud blowing setup. I would maybe have a better time trying both systems, starting with something like a aio or pod, I do own as well.

Now it doesn’t matter anymore, you get used to that, but you don’t see me pushing this point across. I don’t try to start an argument, but it bothers me, when new vapers trying to get help and needed information, yet can’t enjoy the time in finding a setup right for them, because the whole 600 watt system with generator and a minimum of 50mg juice is pushed, without even considering the post that person just made.

“I like mtl” no you dont … Like wait what? Lol

@MandiPeanut i hope you took some of the advice here, and can find a setup just right for you. You got great products recommended that suit your style better.

If your money allows it, I would suggest getting a good medium range mod and both a mtl and a dl tank. Try both and see what you like. If a pod system was more of interest then try that out. I

In either case, don’t give up and please don’t hesitate to ask more questions. Best of luck to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A DTL will not cause more damage. I was a MTL smoker when I started vaping and I started with DTL rda’s The best I can explain is breathe it in like a bong hit and you will be fine. I came to find I don’t have time to constantly be making coils and re-wicking so I prefer tanks with premade coils. It’s not hard to get used to DTL it’s mainly in your head

2 Likes

Hold on there, Nobody, but nobody, is suggesting high wattage and 50 mg juice (nor is anybody suggesting exceeding 50mg) I get that you’re exaggerating to make your point, but really, I think it needs to be emphasised that you don’t put 24mg juice into a high wattage DL set-up, just in case the OP thinks you do. My own post, above, came after the OP identified as MTL .

Still, I thought I’d made it very clear, in my earlier post, that she can and should use much lower strengths if she ends up going for for a high-power DL set-up, but, after reading your post, I’m not so sure that came across

And that’s not about “what works for me” . That just isn’t done, It would be way too high for anyone

(well…almost anyone. IIIRC, one 80-a-day smoker did go up to 24mg DL before he managed to kick his smoking habit, and posted his story here. But that’s one very rare exception)

3 Likes

Start with something w/mouth to lung hit, mods the are straight to lung (smoking bong like), the ego’s with the 1.6ml tanks last ònly few weeks then leak, I went through that and ended with Innokin T20 Endura works real no leaking easy to refill, as far as how much you smoke you might want to look at T20S version (larger battery).

2 Likes

This was my experience as well.

I agree. It’s already been shown that risks in vaping are FAR BELOW those associated with combustible tobacco, not to mention all of the added chemicals that Big Tobacco added to modify the effects on how it gets processed and intensified on our bodies (thus the dependency).

Vaping (as an industry) simply has not had that until recently. And that’s also a VERY STRONG reason why I’m leary of recommending such products like the Juul, or Blue, or any other garbage pushed by/affiliated with Big Tobacco.
These are prime risk candidates IMO for being bastardized by known corrupt entities.

That’s another great point for consideration!

This is completely wrong (as a blanket statement). Most heavy smokers already have diminished lung capacity. And while everyone would agree that smoking is an irritant (into, and of itself), vapor is a completely different type of irritant, and one that the body has NOT become accustomed to for years (or decades), and now ‘tolerates’.

I know several who simply cannot physically accept the amount (DL), and/or type of irritant change (and have to mix very high with PG in MTL, kind of the reverse to my PG issue). Never mind the change due to diminished capacity.

@MandiPeanut
When I was in your shoes, it was recommended to try 12-18mg (non-salts, because they didn’t exist 2 and a half years ago). I took that advice, went to a local shop, and bought a couple varieties of each. It turned out that I needed 18mg to satisfy my cravings.
I used 18mg for about the first month on MTL at 15-20w, and made a transition with “relative ease”. That’s not to say that there weren’t a couple of times where I had my head spin from so much nicotine accumulating in a very short time from chain vaping, and trying to “power through” an overwhelming urge. At those rare points, I honestly could have probably used having 24mg on hand.

Some needed to bump it up to 24mg (from what I’ve read). But it has always been viewed by the majority as being ‘the exception to the rule’ in cases that went above 24mg, using traditional nicotine on MTL.

The key in all of this IMO, is to find flavors you love, buy two or three varieties of each (12, 18, or possibly even 24mg) since you have to make a long trip… And start with the lowest. Move up as needed, but start low! Listen to your body, just like when you’re hungry, it’ll tell you what it needs. As well as what’s too much!

Also, buy at least two atomizers! Because unless you jump right into building your own coils etc, you don’t want to waste whatever liquid and coil is in your current atty. when that craving comes knocking! Two devices (mods) is highly recommended as well, because sooner or later, you WILL end up in a situation where your battery is “unexpectedly dead”. And you don’t want to risk having a cigarette due to something as simple as that is to remedy!

Best of luck!

6 Likes

Ooh! I didn’t know that the Juul is is Big Tobacco product. In which case that’s a very good point indeed

That’s great! One recipe of your own that “doesn’t taste too bad” already is actually very good going. Well done! Have you thought of using one-shot flavours until your confidence improves? Mixing your own would enable you to easily adjust the nicotine strength as required rather than buy a bunch of different strengths.

Wish I’d started mixing same time I started vaping.
Still, I do note that you were trying not to start a whole other discussion, so i’ll shut up about it now :X

3 Likes

@MandiPeanut have you made a choice yet ?? im just wondering if you have narrowed it down to a couple mods … i see you have said you vape mtl style which i believe @Amy2 does as well , of you havent decided on a tank yet maybe someone who vapes that style can chime in with their experiances i cant bc i dont vape that way although i do use my derringer to test flaves with a single coil which is as close to mtl as i come anyway good luck i hope you get it sorted out so you can soon improve your overall health and be on your way to quitting cigs all together

4 Likes

You can talk about it hehe, I honestly don’t mind. Mixing can be such a fickle “lady”

3 Likes

Well, following all the advice I found here and responses I’m still getting from the guys on the FB group, i’m seriously considering the Pico 25, going to keep my eye on the Battlestar, which raises yet anoter question (why in the world is all of this stuff so complicated haha) RTA or RTDA, my brother (also following this post, since he’s on the switching smoking for vaping wagon too, is looking at the Eleaf Tria (not sure if that’s spelled correctly) I gave up on trying to get him to start slowly. As for the MTL, still looking at the various options. Unless the Pico can do both MTL and DTL? Sorry for being so stupid with all of this stuff. All of you are helping me a lot

3 Likes

It can.
MTL is lower power (6-25w) typically. DL is medium to higher power (30-80w+).

The atty selection is far more important in the initial MTL stages. As most mods these days have a wide power range. Pens (ego and otherwise) usually cap out around 30w. Though sometimes higher (50w) with really new devices.

That’s why I was willing to send a Pico.
It’s an ideal starter mod IMO, that makes it easy to transition to DL should you desire to after the first month or two… (as I did).

3 Likes

Then it’s decided. I will get a Pico :smiley: If no one else objects?

7 Likes

if anyone objects, f*** ;'em. :laughing: Glad to see you taking the plunge :smile:. Hell, you can always change to something else , if it turns out not to suit you, after all; but from Sparky’s description, sounds like a winner to me :+1:

3 Likes

Pffbbt. Don’t put it on me! :laughing:
While I think it would fit the bill, my offer was a matter of convenience for the most part.

There’s A LOT of qualified options for a good starter mod that will transition from MTL to DL.
Choose what’s right for you (ideally after getting to see/hold/and use(? them, if you’re lucky!) them in the shop.

Some look great online, and turn out to be something quite different in the hand. Others are exactly as expected.

You’ll find one though, I’ve got faith!

2 Likes

You know, I never thought about that before, but good point on the correlation between Juul/Blu, Big Tobacco, and the extra addictive chemicals they may be putting in them. I recommended the Juul because it is popular and widely available. Personally, I mix my own 50mg nic salt liquid and use the Boulder Rock which is a refillable (and very reasonably priced) pod system.

2 Likes