So I ordered a Thing LOL

Made a second one with a tighter initial twist, so the hole is about half the size of the first one. Immediately improved flavor and vapor, interesting. I imagine with a little practice once I can actually build a decent version, this will be a pretty nice coil setup. Kudos to you and @Dan_the_Man for showing an old dog a new trick.

8 Likes

I was really excited when I watched Dan’s video. I’m not sure I’ll be able to wick mine the way he does on this RDA I bought but can’t wait to try.

6 Likes

Brilliant!! What a great Idea dude. I like that a lot. If it was to be used as a tester, you could roll a ball of wicking material and slide it under. Taste your recipe, pull it out, burn off the coil and go again. Love it dude. Love it. I do believe I will have to steel that idea. I’ll give you the credit of course. (at first) :grin:

8 Likes

You can stainless steel it, my man.

Actually now that I’ve done one, I can see how the atty Michelle bought would be handy for these. The inner leg requires a bit of angular geometry to bend into place for a traditional post mount.

Hey, #TeamFreeShit, any of you reviewed a single coil stove top atty?

6 Likes

I’m wondering now if I could do that same kind of build you did on this RDA because it seems simpler than the videos I’ve watched on how to build it.

4 Likes

That pliers wrap thing worked out great really. It’s so far the only build video I watched though.

5 Likes

There was one video where they were showing how to split the cotton, wrap it under and over and it looked like a complicated mess.

4 Likes

Cover the coil completely?

5 Likes

Yeah that’s what it looked like to me.

6 Likes

I did that years ago with a traditional tube coil when I was more of a greenhorn. I recall it not working out well for me at all. No airflow over the coils, just not pleasant.

Maybe @Dan_the_Man has some thoughts.

4 Likes

OK, so I’m going to ask an obvious question…

This coil design (Stove Top or Lolly I have heard) is a lot like a mesh, as far as the whole coil surface being exposed to airflow as opposed to tube coils having half the outer surface exposed to air. Also has a large surface area for juice to wander on to. In other words, it reads as a ‘superior’ build compared to regular tube-wind coils.

So the obvious questions- do they work better, and if so why are they not more popular?

I can’t compare the build I did because the Profile is not designed for Stoves or even tube coils, so I know I am not getting the intended performance from the coil.

4 Likes

ya, it’s kinda a PITA sometimes.

If your gonna use that builds using pliers, I recommend using nylon plyers or the kind that are smooth on the inside. I just don’t like the grooves those plyers put in the wire. I guess I’m weird like that.

5 Likes

It’s never worked for me like that. @authormichellehughes which video are you talking about?

5 Likes

It was one of the first videos I watched, Dan and I can’t find it now. Should have included the link in the beginning of the post.

Edit… found it @Dan_the_Man and not to be disrespectful but if I only watched that guys video I would never even have tried to do this because he makes it harder than it should be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxPJi0SN1jk

5 Likes

@authormichellehughes you didn’t have to go searching for it but thank you.

Ya, I can’t watch that guy. I don’t know what it is about him but I just can’t take much of him.

4 Likes

no, I wouldn’t say they work better but they do work quite well for a taste and a quick change of the wick.

I think you ARE getting the intended purpose of the coil like that. How do you like it BTW? I am intrigued by your ingenuity.

I don’t think there is one on the market and if there is I would like to know what it is.

3 Likes

Stove tops… check the weed forums… the stove tops are actually used to “fry” real weed into the smoke/vaper to get high on. :slight_smile: I can’t make the devices off the top of my head this time of night… but that is what they are used for.

2 Likes

I mean, it works. Seems the same as the tube coil. Wick change is super easy which is cool.

Maybe originally but not the Dread atty mentioned in this thread; the coils are vertical.

3 Likes

Here’s the black one on $9.99 sale if anyone wants to try. Cheap enough for me to have a go.

https://www.sourcemore.com/damn-vape-dread-bf-rda.html

4 Likes

That is the only single coil application I know of for a stove top. They have been around for ages…
Commonly placed solo with it looking exactly like a stove top in the bottom of an attimizer… the Yocan company was the first to promote it…

4 Likes